Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Phishing Emails - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bouzoo

You thought GTX 1060 was confusing? You've seen nothing. Enter RTX 2060 and 6 variants of the same card

On 12/27/2018 at 7:28 AM, JZStudios said:

Wow. As a person with a 2gb 960, why the hell is there even a 3gb option available? The 2060 should be 6gb and the 2050 4. Anything below that now is basically guaranteed to run out of vram in modern games. I pity whoever buys a new GPU with 3gb of ram. At least my 960 got me a few years, 3gb is outdated now.

On gta V at high settings it consumes like 2,5gb and yes those 1060 3gb are meant to sell to non techy people?  dafuk those 3gb are one of the biggest missleadings on nvidia , you see 1050ti 4gb and 1060 3gb and some people told me , well it's better 4gb than 3 ...

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Honestly. Nvidia give you a few options and people are carrying on like they have kidnapped half a school and holding your pc gaming experience to ransom.

I think people are still a bit salty because of NVIDIA's disingenuous attempt of explaining GPP. You know, when they said that they don't want gamers to be confused so that they could take the ROG/Aorus/MSI Gaming X brands.

In light of this joke of an explanation, I think people have the right to be annoyed by several different variants of the same card.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Seriously, whats the problem.  nVidia releases 6 different versions under the same name, so?  

This happens all the time, just look at the laptops: There same model name can have different storage options, RAM, CPU and GPU and still the EXACT same model name are used.   Best/Worst I have seen is Asus that have more then 16 different configurations under the same model name.

So why so much anger about this?  Specially since third party manufacturer have been complaining about to few options.

14 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Seriously, whats the problem.  nVidia releases 6 different versions under the same name, so?  

This happens all the time, just look at the laptops: There same model name can have different storage options, RAM, CPU and GPU and still the EXACT same model name are used.   Best/Worst I have seen is Asus that have more then 16 different configurations under the same model name.

So why so much anger about this?  Specially since third party manufacturer have been complaining about to few options.

No one is complaining about having more options. Its the sheer lack of distinction at all (which laptops don't actually suffer, ever been in store and seen the sub model+specs listed on the price label?) that's the problem. These are suffixes that Nvidia has used in the past which could be used to differentiate between multiple variations based around a GPU.

• GTX 2060 VE
  • GTX 2060 LE
  • GTX 2060
  • GTX 2060 Ultra
  • GTX 2060 Ti
  • GTX 2060 Extreme

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

No one is complaining about having more options. Its the sheer lack of distinction at all (which laptops don't actually suffer, ever been in store and seen the sub model+specs listed on the price label?) that's the problem. These are suffixes that Nvidia has used in the past which could be used to differentiate between multiple variations based around a GPU.

• GTX 2060 VE
  • GTX 2060 LE
  • GTX 2060
  • GTX 2060 Ultra
  • GTX 2060 Ti
  • GTX 2060 Extreme

So lets take a really east example (thins one not even have that many different options):

MacBook Pro 13

Note that this is how this model are listed in most shops.  So how do you know what configuration this is without reading specifications? 

Side note: Just picked this MacBook Pro 13 because Apple use the same name in most (all?) countries.

15 minutes ago, Kroon said:

So lets take a really east example (thins one not even have that many different options):

MacBook Pro 13

Note that this is how this model are listed in most shops.  So how do you know what configuration this is without reading specifications? 

Side note: Just picked this MacBook Pro 13 because Apple use the same name in most (all?) countries.

You can see all of the differences spec wise when they are sold (including the finish). Eg:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/apple-mac/?p=1&s=displayPrice&sd=1&fc=*_sATTRIB-1751_s%3A%3AMacBook Pro%3B&mf=*_sATTRIB-1751_s&fm=false

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

With the exception of cuda cores in the 1060 that happens with GPUs too. 

Visit MSY, scorptec or PCCASEGEAR and the product description lists everything. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You do know that it comes with two different CPU models, 7th or 8th gen i5 with different turbo clock. Looking at that page I can't see the difference between.

1 minute ago, Kroon said:

You do know that it comes with two different CPU models, 7th or 8th gen i5 with different turbo clock. Looking at that page I can't see the difference between.

It specifies which generation directly: "Seventh-generation dual-core Intel Core i5", and "Quad-core Intel Core i5 processor".

PMSL

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It specifies which generation directly: "Seventh-generation dual-core Intel Core i5", and "Quad-core Intel Core i5 processor".

Then you must have pasted the wrong  link.  Because all I can see on that page is "Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch 128GB (Space Grey)" and nothing about the CPU unless I read under "Key Features" on the actual product page.

but to take a better example, Amazon and there it looks something like this:

Apple MacBook Pro (13 Inch Retina, 2.3 GHz dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD)

If you look at different 1060 models as an example:

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Black
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E - Black

For me personally the MacBook Pro listing are much more confusing since I get no clue what CPU I get, both have same core clock @2.3GHz but different boosts.  And this is from a product with only 5 different combinations, as I said before there is those with over 16 different combinations but still have the same model name.

Edit:

Was bit quick there, missed the core count.  But if search some on Amazon you will see what I mena.

10 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Then you must have pasted the wrong  link.  Because all I can see on that page is "Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch 128GB (Space Grey)" and nothing about the CPU unless I read under "Key Features" on the actual product page.

Apple MacBook Pro (13 Inch Retina, 2.3 GHz dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD)

For me personally the MacBook Pro listing are much more confusing since I get no clue what CPU I get, both have same core clock @2.3GHz but different boosts.  And this is from a product with only 5 different combinations, as I said before there is those with over 16 different combinations but still have the same model name.

Its the correct link. Works just fine.

Edit: Even in IE:

Untitled.thumb.png.3c7214e49b799b9c8eba62c9ba945e99.png

Also, if you go to buy one from Apple.....
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Its also very clear what you are getting.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Many phones are described like this too,  How many times in the products description is the processor listed simply as a "quad core 1.3Ghz"?   I don't know how many different quad core processors there are that can run at 1.3 but I am betting it's more than 6. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:25 AM, Peskanova said:

On gta V at high settings it consumes like 2,5gb and yes those 1060 3gb are meant to sell to non techy people?  dafuk those 3gb are one of the biggest missleadings on nvidia , you see 1050ti 4gb and 1060 3gb and some people told me , well it's better 4gb than 3 ...

I'm sorry, what's your point? I said modern games use a lot of VRAM and then you said something about a last gen title.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm sorry, what's your point? I said modern games use a lot of VRAM and then you said something about a last gen title.

The PC version of GTA V could be counted as a modern game since it's very demanding. And besides, PS4 and Xbox One are last gen now?

RTX 2599 TI when?

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - Dell S2716DGR 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Zeta90 said:

I don't know about you, but I won't complicate myself with all of these variants.

all I know is the 2060 will be great, cheap, and rock 1080p at 60fps. That's great for me (i actively avoid 4K displays, makes me thing I'm about to go blind)

Here, I found some info about the 2060's performance. Hope it helps you!

https://www.technewstoday.com/nvidia-rtx-2060-launching-on-january-2019/

As a comparison, MSRP for GTX 1060 was for $299. Listing online on a Canadian store puts it at ~$395. MSRP for 1070 was $449. That's not cheap.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 hours ago, MysteriousAeon said:

The PC version of GTA V could be counted as a modern game since it's very demanding. And besides, PS4 and Xbox One are last gen now?

No, the PS3 and 360 are. Y'know, the consoles GTAV was launched on?

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

You get more options, what's wrong with that?

Apparently with great options comes great power, and as we know with great power comes great corruption, so it is logical to assume more options=corruption.

/s

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

You get more options, what's wrong with that?

When has anyone complained about there being more options? Not how they are presented?

PMSL

On 1/4/2019 at 1:18 AM, mr moose said:

You can ask

Yea, me and you, but what about the rest of the world who dont know?

AMD Ryzen 1600X with ASUS Prime x370 Pro and Corsair Vegence 2x8GB 3466 15cas, Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler, Samsung EVO 500GB, 4TB 7200, Asus GRX 1080 8gb rog strix, Fractal Define R4 case, Corsair RM750x, 10Gbps

41 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

When has anyone complained about there being more options? Not how they are presented?

A few people have back at the start, they made the claims that more options was intrinsically going to lead to consumers paying more for less.

Some arguments made in this thread already:

1. it is intentionally confusing so people will buy the most expensive.

2. only techies research and the 2060 is not marketed to techies

3. directly referencing nvidia with multiple options: how can anyone think this is remotely acceptable?

4. then a whole bunch of arguments that the GPU itself will be different and misleading even though they haven't even been released.

Honestly, this thread is a clusterfuck of assumptions and projections.  Until we actually see them release three very different GPU's with the same name and no way to differentiate them,  then it's all people making assumptions and claims about how bad it is to have options.