You thought GTX 1060 was confusing? You've seen nothing. Enter RTX 2060 and 6 variants of the same card

Bouzoo
6 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I believe this is a trick, if they wont tell you whats inside ddr5 or ddr6 then its them trying to scam you. Most retailers wont advertise that, thats why I think its a scam. Pay ddr6 prices on ddr5 unit.

You can ask before you buy you know,  Send the company an email asking them specifically what the difference is between the two, three or four products.  If they can't tell then buy a different brand. 

Honestly. Nvidia give you a few options and people are carrying on like they have kidnapped half a school and holding your pc gaming experience to ransom.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You can ask before you buy you know,  Send the company an email asking them specifically what the difference is between the two, three or four products.  If they can't tell then buy a different brand. 

Honestly. Nvidia give you a few options and people are carrying on like they have kidnapped half a school and holding your pc gaming experience to ransom.

Options are good, but not when they all have the bloody same name. This situation would be like Nvidia having called all variants of the TNT2 just the TNT2, not M64, Vanta, Ultra and so on. Or as bad as Nvidia having 64bit and 128bit BUS cards sharing the same name...when the performance difference is drastic.

Just look at the amount of models that have versions with narrower BUS and no way to actually tell them apart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_FX_(5xxx)_series

The Geforce FX series is a prime example. The GT 1030 and what is rumoured about the next GTX '60 series is only a continuation of their misleading bullshit from years past.

Edit: Just to point out as well, Nvidia has a shitload of cards in the past that had 2x versions with different vRAM. vRAM that is drastically slower, though not GT 1030 levels of "holy shit that's bad"

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Options are good, but not when they all have the bloody same name. This situation would be like Nvidia having called all variants of the TNT2 just the TNT2, not M64, Vanta, Ultra and so on. Or as bad as Nvidia having 64bit and 128bit BUS cards sharing the same name...when the performance difference is drastic.

Just look at the amount of models that have versions with narrower BUS and no way to actually tell them apart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_FX_(5xxx)_series

The Geforce FX series is a prime example. The GT 1030 and what is rumoured about the next GTX '60 series is only a continuation of their misleading bullshit from years past.

Edit: Just to point out as well, Nvidia has a shitload of cards in the past that had 2x versions with different vRAM. vRAM that is drastically slower, though not GT 1030 levels of "holy shit that's bad"

If product is not misrepresented where is the problem? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If product is not misrepresented where is the problem? 

They were though. Eg. regardless of which version of GT 1030 people saw a review for, they won't see on the box which version it is as Nvidia calls both the GT 1030, not GT 1030LE and GT 1030. There might be the BUS width with the 2060 (that's advertised) but not the memory type or SM count.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

They were though. Eg. regardless of which version of GT 1030 people saw a review for, they won't see on the box which version it is as Nvidia calls both the GT 1030, not GT 1030LE and GT 1030. There might be the BUS width with the 2060 (that's advertised) but not the memory type.

I haven't look at the 1030 packaging but I believe the ram type iis still advertised

Packaging for the 2060 is all speculation.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I haven't look at the 1030 packaging but I believe the ram type iis still advertised 

It definitely isn't, at least in the cases I've seen. There may be exceptions.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It definitely isn't, at least in the cases I've seen. There may be exceptions.

It depends on the AIB

Some clearly put the memory capacity and type on the box, such as this MSI one, where it clearly says "2GB DDR4"

untitled-1.jpg

But others are much more vague. An example is this PALIT one, where the only thing it says on the front as it relates to memory is "2GB"

KXjT65O8jI7A6GJD.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

It depends on the AIB

Some clearly put the memory capacity and type on the box, such as this MSI one, where it clearly says "2GB DDR4"

untitled-1.jpg

But others are much more vague. An example is this PALIT one, where the only thing it says on the front as it relates to memory is "2GB"

KXjT65O8jI7A6GJD.jpg

It's probably on the sticker on the back.

Just now, mr moose said:

It's probably on the sticker on the back.

Perhaps, although for the GDDR5 model, it does explicitly say "GDDR5" on the front.

They probably should put the term "DDR4" on that SKU like a lot of others

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Perhaps, although for the GDDR5 model, it does explicitly say "GDDR5" on the front.

They probably should put the term "DDR4" on that SKU like a lot of others

Agree,

Also I think these threads should be merged seeing as they are exactly the same.

@leadeater

TRAGIC and TYPICAL in the least.

*Really hoping here that AMD won't respond with the same shitty strategy. Just one 8gb 680(or 690 not both of them) opposing 2060 top model.

2 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

*Really hoping here that AMD won't respond with the same shitty strategy. Just one 8gb 680(or 690 not both of them) opposing 2060 top model.

Too late. AMD has done this same thing for a while as well.

They have 2 RX 560s, one of which is one that has 14CUs and 896SPs and another that has 16CUs and 1024SPs.

More recently, they recently launched the RX 580 2048SP, which is basically a higher clocked RX 570.

16 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Too late. AMD has done this same thing for a while as well.

They have 2 RX 560s, one of which is one that has 14CUs and 896SPs and another that has 16CUs and 1024SPs.

More recently, they recently launched the RX 580 2048SP, which is basically a higher clocked RX 570.

I know they did just the same. I hope they change strategies now, for the better of us of course.

14 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

I know they did just the same. I hope they change strategies now, for the better of us of course.

I doubt it.

Both AMD and NVIDIA have been doing this for a while now. They will only change if the strategy completely and utterly fails, which apparently, is not the case.

30 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I doubt it.

Both AMD and NVIDIA have been doing this for a while now. They will only change if the strategy completely and utterly fails, which apparently, is not the case.

In Nvidia's case, they've been misleading people for 15+ years now, with a lot of generations in that time having (significantly differing in performance) variations of the same model, without any form of identifier. They even have plenty of branding that could be used (Vanta, LE, M"bus width",VE, SE and so on)

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

In Nvidia's case, they've been misleading people for 15+ years now, with a lot of generations in that time having (significantly differing in performance) variations of the same model, without any form of identifier. They even have plenty of branding that could be used (Vanta, LE, M"bus width",VE, SE and so on)

And there is a reason why companies do this still. 

It works. It's disgusting and misleading, but it works. Only when consumers find out about it will they finally stop, much like what Samsung did with their utterly confusing phone line. 

On 12/27/2018 at 7:28 AM, JZStudios said:

Wow. As a person with a 2gb 960, why the hell is there even a 3gb option available? The 2060 should be 6gb and the 2050 4. Anything below that now is basically guaranteed to run out of vram in modern games. I pity whoever buys a new GPU with 3gb of ram. At least my 960 got me a few years, 3gb is outdated now.

On gta V at high settings it consumes like 2,5gb and yes those 1060 3gb are meant to sell to non techy people?  dafuk those 3gb are one of the biggest missleadings on nvidia , you see 1050ti 4gb and 1060 3gb and some people told me , well it's better 4gb than 3 ...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

I think people are still a bit salty because of NVIDIA's disingenuous attempt of explaining GPP. You know, when they said that they don't want gamers to be confused so that they could take the ROG/Aorus/MSI Gaming X brands.

In light of this joke of an explanation, I think people have the right to be annoyed by several different variants of the same card.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Seriously, whats the problem.  nVidia releases 6 different versions under the same name, so?  

This happens all the time, just look at the laptops: There same model name can have different storage options, RAM, CPU and GPU and still the EXACT same model name are used.   Best/Worst I have seen is Asus that have more then 16 different configurations under the same model name.

So why so much anger about this?  Specially since third party manufacturer have been complaining about to few options.

14 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Seriously, whats the problem.  nVidia releases 6 different versions under the same name, so?  

This happens all the time, just look at the laptops: There same model name can have different storage options, RAM, CPU and GPU and still the EXACT same model name are used.   Best/Worst I have seen is Asus that have more then 16 different configurations under the same model name.

So why so much anger about this?  Specially since third party manufacturer have been complaining about to few options.

No one is complaining about having more options. Its the sheer lack of distinction at all (which laptops don't actually suffer, ever been in store and seen the sub model+specs listed on the price label?) that's the problem. These are suffixes that Nvidia has used in the past which could be used to differentiate between multiple variations based around a GPU.

• GTX 2060 VE
  • GTX 2060 LE
  • GTX 2060
  • GTX 2060 Ultra
  • GTX 2060 Ti
  • GTX 2060 Extreme

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

No one is complaining about having more options. Its the sheer lack of distinction at all (which laptops don't actually suffer, ever been in store and seen the sub model+specs listed on the price label?) that's the problem. These are suffixes that Nvidia has used in the past which could be used to differentiate between multiple variations based around a GPU.

• GTX 2060 VE
  • GTX 2060 LE
  • GTX 2060
  • GTX 2060 Ultra
  • GTX 2060 Ti
  • GTX 2060 Extreme

So lets take a really east example (thins one not even have that many different options):

MacBook Pro 13

Note that this is how this model are listed in most shops.  So how do you know what configuration this is without reading specifications? 

Side note: Just picked this MacBook Pro 13 because Apple use the same name in most (all?) countries.

15 minutes ago, Kroon said:

So lets take a really east example (thins one not even have that many different options):

MacBook Pro 13

Note that this is how this model are listed in most shops.  So how do you know what configuration this is without reading specifications? 

Side note: Just picked this MacBook Pro 13 because Apple use the same name in most (all?) countries.

You can see all of the differences spec wise when they are sold (including the finish). Eg:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/apple-mac/?p=1&s=displayPrice&sd=1&fc=*_sATTRIB-1751_s%3A%3AMacBook Pro%3B&mf=*_sATTRIB-1751_s&fm=false

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

With the exception of cuda cores in the 1060 that happens with GPUs too. 

Visit MSY, scorptec or PCCASEGEAR and the product description lists everything. 

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You do know that it comes with two different CPU models, 7th or 8th gen i5 with different turbo clock. Looking at that page I can't see the difference between.

1 minute ago, Kroon said:

You do know that it comes with two different CPU models, 7th or 8th gen i5 with different turbo clock. Looking at that page I can't see the difference between.

It specifies which generation directly: "Seventh-generation dual-core Intel Core i5", and "Quad-core Intel Core i5 processor".

PMSL