You thought GTX 1060 was confusing? You've seen nothing. Enter RTX 2060 and 6 variants of the same card

Bouzoo

Fucking hell, NVIDIA. 

Why not just release an RTX 2060 with GDDR5 or lower VRAM, and the beefier model with GDDR6 as the RTX 2060 Ti? Because that would make too much sense, huh? 

It's just like the GTX 1060 3GB vs 6GB and whatever AMD has with the RX 560/570/580

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Remember that all variants might not be available across all regions but even so, holy smokes this is bad.

Seems like customer confusion is the new marketing tactic for a lot of companies.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Seems like customer confusion is the new marketing tactic for a lot of companies.

I don't get it, really. 

We may have 6 different versions of the RTX 2060, and that doesn't count the potential laptop versions. 

Which also poses an interesting question. Will the notebook strategy be similar to Pascal, where the laptop GPUs are essentially similar to their desktop counterparts, just with a slightly lower clockspeed, or will they all be Max-Q branded? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

We may have 6 different versions of the RTX 2060, and that doesn't count the potential laptop versions. 

As I said in the OP, I am waiting for 9/10/11 Gbps for this to go even deeper. Then the fun is starting for real. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

why

ZomboMeme 26122018165041.jpg

13 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I don't get it, really.

It's a simple concept and one employed by many larger businesses. If the customer cannot work out which product is the best value for money then theres a higher chance they'll buy the most expensive thinking it's the best.

Next time you're in a supermarket keep an eye on product labels, you'll notice that different brands often use different measures on the same products. One example here in Europe is ketchup, everyone uses volume (millilitres or ml) on ketchup bottles except Heinz who use weight instead. They only do this because it's impossible for customers to work out their bottles have less in them than competitors. To counter this many supermarket own brands now often list volume and weight.

When a customer is confused they tend to just buy the most expensive one they can afford and the companies make sure the product that's most likely to be is also the worst value for money.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's a simple concept and one employed by many larger businesses. If the customer cannot work out which product is the best value for money then theres a higher chance they'll buy the most expensive thinking it's the best.

Next time you're in a supermarket keep an eye on product labels, you'll notice that different brands often use different measures on the same products. One example here in Europe is ketchup, everyone uses volume (millilitres or ml) on ketchup bottles except Heinz who use weight instead. They only do this because it's impossible for customers to work out their bottles have less in them than competitors.

When a customer is confused they tend to just buy the most expensive one they can afford and the companies make sure the product that's most likely to be is also the worst value for money.

If you have to buy on the fly, sure, but in the topic of PC parts you have the whole internet to research to clear up any confusion regarding the different models.

1 minute ago, MysteriousAeon said:

If you have to buy on the fly, sure, but in the topic of PC parts you have the whole internet to research to clear up any confusion regarding the different models.

Only the techies do this and techies are not the target audience for a 2060. Ever considered why they only do this shit with mid tier products?

Only the techies do this and techies are not the target audience for a 2060. Ever considered why they only do this shit with mid tier products?

Have you ever considered there could be techies on a budget?

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Next time you're in a supermarket keep an eye on product labels, you'll notice that different brands often use different measures on the same products. One example here in Europe is ketchup, everyone uses volume (millilitres or ml) on ketchup bottles except Heinz who use weight instead. They only do this because it's impossible for customers to work out their bottles have less in them than competitors.

It's the same thing when you go into a supermarket and see the same 2 items, for instance ketchup which is a true thing as well, and one is a "premium" brand, while the other one is a "supermarket" brand. The same design, different logo, same ingredients, address of production, but the premium costs $1 more. Why? Because it can. And people trust that one more. A friend who works there actually confirmed it personally that it's the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

should have put NVIDIA logo on the bear

Be careful what you wish for. 

Spoiler

You might just get it 

ZomboMeme 26122018165510.jpg

Just now, MysteriousAeon said:

Have you ever considered there could be techies on a budget?

Sure, just like there are people who take converters into supermarkets to work out the difference but as long as you trick more people than not you're still up at the end of it.

Personally, I just see it as teetering on the side of excessive. 

When you have around 6 different SKUs of the same die but with different memory types/capacity/CUDA core count/etc, it's already pretty confusing. 

Compounding this issue is how vendors also add different models. Like the GIGABYTE example in the OP. That's an absolute crapton of cards. 

This must only be excist to create confusion among buyers. 

I get they wanna use GDDR5 on the lower end cheaper parts. But this, just no. 

Here are all the RTX 2060 models (this is assuming every part has a Max-Q (laptop) version and I might have gotten some things incorrect):

• RTX 2060 GDDR5X 3GB
  • RTX 2060 GDDR5X 4GB
  • RTX 2060 GDDR5X 6GB
  • RTX 2060 GDDR6 3GB
  • RTX 2060 GDDR6 4GB
  • RTX 2060 GDDR6 6GB
  • RTX 2060 GDDR5X 3GB (Max-Q)
  • RTX 2060 GDDR5X 4GB (Max-Q)
  • RTX 2060 GDDR5X 6GB (Max-Q)
  • RTX 2060 GDDR6 3GB (Max-Q)
  • RTX 2060 GDDR6 4GB (Max-Q)
  • RTX 2060 GDDR6 6GB (Max-Q)

vs a RX 570:

• RX 570 4GB
  • RX 570 8GB

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

I sometimes wonder if the day they decide on how to split and market the chips they make, they do all the drugs up to the borderline of overdosing... 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

That's nothing, Gigabyte is famously known for even having several revisions of the SAME card. Which further makes things bizarre and confusing and you need to actually read your revision from the PCB itself to be sure.

For example, I own an AORUS GTX 1080Ti. They only have F3 and F3P BIOS updates for GTX 1080Ti. Guess which card I have. With F20 BIOS, which can't be updated with either of listed ones. I know you're not suppose to flash BIOS on VGA cards coz it's not really needed but it's lame to know some versions seem to be getting BIOS updates even as recent as November 2018 and mine is stuck with initial BIOS that arrived with the card a year and a half ago. Makes you wonder what kind of weird edition it is that they don't list it or provide any updates for it... Bought it from Caseking...

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's nothing, Gigabyte is famously known for even having several revisions of the SAME card. Which further makes things bizarre and confusing and you need to actually read your revision from the PCB itself to be sure.

The problem here is not GB, it's through their listing we found out about this. Mind you 39 cards is ridiculous. The problem is with the SKUs and that we'll see this with every OEM. Pretty much every graphics OEM is out of their goddamn mind nowadays. From the top of my head, 6 EVGA, 4 MSI, 5 ASUS? I'm sure there are more. 

As a GB WF3 owner I can relate though to not being able to recognize half of their cards. 

Like I was saying, that's just a list of SKU's. Not including the revisions. So, with how much I know Gigabyte, you can basically double the amount of versions.

Who in their right mind would want to buy 3GB or 4GB version in 2019???

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Who in their right mind would want to buy 3GB or 4GB version in 2019???

Uhm i think i could buy a nicely priced 4 gb card in 2019 i guess … but i would expect 6 or 8 in 20 to be totally honest… Thank god i cancelled that 1160 and decided to go and see what the competition has to offer... all in the name of science ofcourse!!!