Random list of cool innovations I'd like laptop designers to make

cloneman

- An Freesync LCD panel that can take an external HDMI *input* to play console games with

- A built in ARM Mini PC into the Laptop Chassis ,like a RasbPi, and you can switch input to it on the LCD panel (it could run at the same time as the x86 motherboard, or by itself). This could be used as a  a very-low power alternative to running the x86 hardware for extending the battery. Or, even cooler, it can overlay other information on to the monitor at the same time as the main computer.
You could have your x86 computer on sleep mode and use the ARM hardware to instantly extend the battery. Or you could use it for google-assistant or stuff like that without turning on the "main laptop"

- a Built in Hardware high-power class 1 USB Audio Device for Wireless headphones, APT-X Low Latency _hardware_ encoder, that bypasses the OS bluetooth stack.
- Built-in support for a  wireless microphone that does not use bluetooth

- a Built in Logitech Unifying receiver for the mouse

- trackpad that has been stolen from any Apple laptop after 2009

- An ethernet port or other interesting port that is directly on the charging brick

- Upgrade path to low-end Dedicated GPU (for freesync or VP9 decoding) at a low cost

Any other number of cool things that would make laptops interesting again ! I realise no company will do all of this, but someone should do some of them!

TheHomer.png

The First one is something I have been wondering about for years. A better alternative to the second one would be to have more intelligent battery conservers that run only 1 core when performing simpler tasks especially on more powerful machines and putting the remain cores to sleep.

Built in receivers wouldn't be a problem if all manufacturers used the same protocols and hardware, that would allow just one receiver to work with all devices.

Charging brick with type C could potentially do this even though it would limit bandwidth. Maybe a newer connector could fix this problem.

The trackpad is something I cringe about especially when they don't even have Windows Precision drivers. Razer sort of gets it right on their laptops. Also a laptop made out of carbon fiber would be dope and really sturdy and lightweight(even your wallet would become light...). Better speakers, maybe make the sound echo in the chassis like LG does with their phones. Liquid cooling would also be a dream.

The only feature I would like to see is for laptop manufacturers to make a thick chassis that doesnt overheat again.

They used to have media laptops with tv tuners and video inputs built in. They didnt work well granted the hardware at the time wasnt up to the task. It would be cool to have a modern media center laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 1:50 AM, markr54632 said:

The only feature I would like to see is for laptop manufacturers to make a thick chassis that doesnt overheat again.

They used to have media laptops with tv tuners and video inputs built in. They didnt work well granted the hardware at the time wasnt up to the task. It would be cool to have a modern media center laptop.

Aren't most full-size gaming PCs with fat rear ends basically that?

On 12/25/2018 at 11:09 PM, cloneman said:

- A built in ARM Mini PC into the Laptop Chassis ,like a RasbPi, and you can switch input to it on the LCD panel (it could run at the same time as the x86 motherboard, or by itself). This could be used as a  a very-low power alternative to running the x86 hardware for extending the battery.

I swear I've seen that before.  My father had a laptop from his work that could do that; it had a little ARM processor that it could boot from instead of the main Intel CPU, and it could run a limited number of stripped down apps, like a simplified version of Word and Excel, maybe along with a web browser?  The whole point was battery life.  IIRC it was a Dell unit.  This would have been about 8 to 10 years ago now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 4:09 AM, cloneman said:

- A built in ARM Mini PC into the Laptop Chassis ,like a RasbPi, and you can switch input to it on the LCD panel (it could run at the same time as the x86 motherboard, or by itself). This could be used as a  a very-low power alternative to running the x86 hardware for extending the battery. Or, even cooler, it can overlay other information on to the monitor at the same time as the main computer.

"Latitude ON is an instant-on computer system made by Dell.The system is based on a dedicated ARM processor (Texas Instruments OMAP 3430) that runs a custom version of a Linux OS. 

Latitude ON runs MontaVista[4] Linux on an ARM-based subprocessor.[5] This so-called MontaVista Montabello Mobile Internet Device Solution provides a customizable, Linux-based Mobile Internet Device (MID) platform the laptop is able to boot almost instantly and view Email, document reader, calendar, contacts and access the Internet.

Dell claims that battery life can be extended to days.

Latitude ON Reader is similar to Dell's MediaDirect where the software is located in a separate partition on the system hard drive and has a dedicated button to power on."

took that from the wiki