Galaxy Note 9 or iPhone XR - Coming from the Galaxy S7 Edge

Zyre

This coming Friday I'll  be having the option to change my mobile plan and get a new smartphone.

I've been rocking the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and before that the Galaxy S5 and Nexus 4. So basically I've been a Android user since forever.

I like Android a lot, but have had the urge to maybe just change it up for ones and try a non-android device, aka iOS (iPhone).

What I'm having some trouble with is the choice. For the same mobile plan and price I can get the Galaxy Note 9 or a iPhone XR.

I've looked both devices up and know that the specifications differ a lot.

Why I would like to try iOS is simply because it's something new again, and it gives me the option to also get the Watch. But if I did this, then I would miss out on a pretty high end Android device.

On the other hand I've had Android since the start, like I mentioned, and have gotten a bit bored of Android.

Yeah I know that you can customize and root it. Rooting I never did and customization was pretty non existent (just Nova launcher nothing more).

Why I'm posting this is to get some opinions from others and hopefully decide my pick.

I use the note 8 and I absolutely love it, the note 9 is my recommendation.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I like to think that the Note 9 is the current ruler of the phones. But as you said, you wanna change it up. I say go for the iPhone then. Normally I'd never recommend it, but it could help give you a better perspective of both environments and after maybe a year with the iPhone, you can make a more well balanced decision on which platform is right for you (and perhaps others who may ask you in the future).

As a Note user myself, if I have to make it personal, I would say the Galaxy Note9, but I want to explain it in an objective manner first.

The Note9 and iPhone XR have their own pros and cons. I don't want to get into a heap of detail, but basically, the Note9 gives you everything plus the kitchen sink in terms of features whilst the iPhone XR has a longer period of software support and gets said new software on an earlier and more timely basis. 

It really depends on what you're after. 

Get the Note9 if you;

• Want to stick with Android
  • Have a use for the extra features the Note9 packs in
  • Need a headphone jack/fingerprint sensor

Get the iPhone XR if you;

• Want to try out the iOS/Apple ecosystem
  • Long-term software support is a priority
  • Have plans to stay in said ecosystem for a while

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

This is a tech forum, meaning that everyone hates Apple like the plague, meaning that everyone will recommend an Android device over anything Apple without much thought. 

Both phones are great. It’s honestly a hard choice. I am just gonna give you my subjective opinion. 

I bought myself a used iPhone 7 8 months ago and I’m in love. The iPhone 7 is old by phone standards (we’re talking late 2016) but doesn’t feel like it. Everything is snappy. The interface is simple, uncluttered and without ugly skins. iOS 12 is very, very nice. And I really appreciate having frequent updates, something that is rarer than unicorns and leprauchans on Android. iMessage is second to none. FaceTime is a joy to use. If you try iOS out, you won’t be disappointed. And some apps just run better on iOS. Think Snapchat. 

That said, Android and iOS feel very similar these days. They copy each other. Android offers more options, tweaking and customization. Apple is more restrictive. It’s not like it makes a huge difference since you do everything through apps anyways. IMHO, the biggest selling feature of the Note 9 is the split screen functionality. 

The Note 9 is a great phone, but if you want to try something new, I'd definitely recommend getting an iPhone. I've made the same decision a couple of years ago when I switched to the iPhone 6s, and I never looked back.

17 hours ago, Zyre said:

This coming Friday I'll  be having the option to change my mobile plan and get a new smartphone.

I've been rocking the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and before that the Galaxy S5 and Nexus 4. So basically I've been a Android user since forever.

I like Android a lot, but have had the urge to maybe just change it up for ones and try a non-android device, aka iOS (iPhone).

What I'm having some trouble with is the choice. For the same mobile plan and price I can get the Galaxy Note 9 or a iPhone XR.

I've looked both devices up and know that the specifications differ a lot.

Why I would like to try iOS is simply because it's something new again, and it gives me the option to also get the Watch. But if I did this, then I would miss out on a pretty high end Android device.

On the other hand I've had Android since the start, like I mentioned, and have gotten a bit bored of Android.

Yeah I know that you can customize and root it. Rooting I never did and customization was pretty non existent (just Nova launcher nothing more).

Why I'm posting this is to get some opinions from others and hopefully decide my pick.

It's a tough call, since the Note 9 will be a familiar and capable upgrade.  I use both platforms, but as someone who mainly uses an iPhone XS I can offer some insights as to why you might want the iPhone XR:

The Apple Watch is the best smartwatch, full stop.  That's not me being hyperbolic, either -- it's that its design and ecosystem are just so much further ahead at the moment.  Samsung's Galaxy Watch is ultimately a faster (and optionally smaller) rehash of the S3 from 2016, and has a good design but few apps.  Wear OS has the apps and recently got a decent UI overhaul, but they're saddled by old CPUs and hardware design philosophies that seem to focus on imitating conventional watches more than making good smartwatches.  The Apple Watch is fast and easy to use, boasts a relatively large app ecosystem, and has plenty of case and band styles to choose from.

The allure of the iPhone, to me, is that it's both consistently powerful and uses no-fuss-no-muss software that integrates tightly with a large ecosystem.  The A12 is faster than any chip in an Android phone, and will probably outperform the Snapdragon 855.  The camera may not be the absolute best, but you know you will get high-quality shots out of it (and I frankly prefer them to Samsung's cool-hued, oversharpened look).  You can't customize home screens as much or choose a new launcher, but you will get a fast UI where devices and services work well together.

And yes, the software support is better.  Android users don't always realize just how often iOS gets new apps and app features first.  It's not uncommon to see a company start with an iOS version and offer the Android equivalent weeks or months later.  Also, you might be in for a treat when it comes to OS updates.  Imagine getting every update the moment it's available, for four or five years -- you don't have to wonder how many months it will take before you get an OS revision, or worry that you'll stop receiving upgrades before you're ready to replace your phone.

If there's an issue, it's simply that Apple's tight integration also means that it's a bit harder to get out.  The Apple Watch is the best smartwatch, but it also only works with iPhones.  iMessage makes it really easy to chat with fellow iOS and Mac users (with goodies like stickers and Animoji), but you lose it the moment you're out of the ecosystem.  I like to think of iOS as a well-built but proprietary supercar versus a custom tuner.  While the supercar is both faster and better-integrated than the tuner, you do have to stay within its creator's world to get the most out of it.

@CommodusIMHO, the Apple Ecosystem is overrated, very overrated. You don’t have to use any of the exclusive Apple apps. They’re just convenient because they’re already installed on the phone, and they work rather well. Most of the popular Android apps also exist on iOS. You can effortlessly install Gmail, Chrome, Drive, WiChat, WhatsApp etc...You can effectively ignore the Apple ecosystem that way. It’s just a matter of preference. 

20 minutes ago, Trajce Playz said:

Here ya go:

That's not really helping him, especially since he's not looking at an XS Max.  That's just regurgitating someone else's clip.  Please think for yourself!

34 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

@CommodusIMHO, the Apple Ecosystem is overrated, very overrated. You don’t have to use any of the exclusive Apple apps. They’re just convenient because they’re already installed on the phone, and they work rather well. Most of the popular Android apps also exist on iOS. You can effortlessly install Gmail, Chrome, Drive, WiChat, WhatsApp etc...You can effectively ignore the Apple ecosystem that way. It’s just a matter of preference. 

I'd say certain things are important, like iMessage and FaceTime.  There's also the question of inter-device harmony.  Let's face it, part of why AirPods are so popular is because they're extremely easy to set up and work closely with iOS.  The Apple Watch likewise works because you don't have to think about installing apps or whether or not things are syncing, it just... happens.  You could say it's an absence of friction.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'd say certain things are important, like iMessage and FaceTime.  There's also the question of inter-device harmony.  Let's face it, part of why AirPods are so popular is because they're extremely easy to set up and work closely with iOS.  The Apple Watch likewise works because you don't have to think about installing apps or whether or not things are syncing, it just... happens.  You could say it's an absence of friction.

Both my Gear S3 and Jabra Elite 65t just happen as well on my note 9, previously a Pixel XL 128gb. Unless you're planning to fully integrate into the apple eco system instead of "trying something new". It's a moot point adding in the watch/ear buds as a plus, since there are alternatives for non android phones that work just as simply.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

imo it honestly doesnt really matter, you really cant go wrong with either ios or android these days. A clear advantage for iphones is that they have much better long term software support and it will probably run more stable in the future. The note 9 has a much better and higher resolution display, and it does alot more cause of android and samsung but you may not care about that. personally ive used both android and ios extensively and i can barely tell the difference

Thank you very much for all the cool perspectives you guys gave. It helped a lot! :)

10 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

@Zyre so what do you think you'll go with? Curious I am.

I have decided to go with the iPhone, simply because I do want to try out something different.

However, I did visit the store today to have the Note 9 in the hand, and it did feel a bit to big for me. Something which I hadn't had a feel for yet.

The XR was also in the store, and I liked the size more.

But then again I am grateful for the comments here helping!

8 hours ago, Zyre said:

I have decided to go with the iPhone, simply because I do want to try out something different.

However, I did visit the store today to have the Note 9 in the hand, and it did feel a bit to big for me. Something which I hadn't had a feel for yet.

The XR was also in the store, and I liked the size more.

But then again I am grateful for the comments here helping!

That's cool! If you don't mind, maybe in a year or at least a few months, maybe make a new topic with an in-depth review and your opinions between the two. iOS v Android always intrigued me because I do like both, but simply hate Apple. Hope it works out for ya!