Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funrelax

USB ports on top of case vs USB ports on the back, in the I/O shield

You can use the back ports for your mouse and keyboard (to reduce the amount of wires on the front of your case) and keep the front ports for any USB devices.

Only noticeable difference would be if they're USB 2 or USB 3 and what you're using them for, imo

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just got a prebuilt PC (I don't know much about building) and was wondering what the difference was between the USB ports on top of the case, near the power button, and the USB ports on the back, in the I/O shield connected to the motherboard. Are they the same or should I only use one or the other?

Posted · Best Answer

You can use the back ports for your mouse and keyboard (to reduce the amount of wires on the front of your case) and keep the front ports for any USB devices.

Only noticeable difference would be if they're USB 2 or USB 3 and what you're using them for, imo

Here's a list of Discord servers, cause why not.

Data wise they are identical.

The difference is that the front panel has a lower power capacity compared the rear panel. So high power or sensitive devices should be plugged into the back panel if a problem occurs.

Type-C should be both data and power identical though.

-アパゾ

6 minutes ago, funrelax said:

I just got a prebuilt PC (I don't know much about building) and was wondering what the difference was between the USB ports on top of the case, near the power button, and the USB ports on the back, in the I/O shield connected to the motherboard. Are they the same or should I only use one or the other?

All of them are pretty much the same, the front USB connectors are just for easy access to the USB ports. Be advised that if the USB port is colored blue, that means it is capable of USB 3 transfer rates, which are super fast. If they're just colored black, that signifies that they're USB 2, which has slower data rates. Nonetheless, you can use any of them but if you're using a USB flash drive for example, it's recommended to plug it into the USB 3 port to take advantage of the higher data rates.