Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
csandreas1

Will the cooler of the i3 8350k be able to cool the i7 870?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, i am upgrading my pc and i want to switch the coolers.

So i want to install the stock cooler of the i3 8350k (1151) to the i7 870 (socket 1156). Will it be okay?

I don´t think the 8350k comes with a cooler since it´s a K - SKU from Intel and they stopped shipping coolers with unlocked CPU´s on the 6000 series

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900k @5.0 Ghz GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC Black Ops 4 Edition Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

13 minutes ago, csandreas1 said:

Hello, i am upgrading my pc and i want to switch the coolers.

So i want to install the stock cooler of the i3 8350k (1151) to the i7 870 (socket 1156). Will it be okay?

Why though? That i3 is already a beast at what it does. Why the hell would you step down to first gen @2.8 GHz?

like racer said, no stock cooler with the 8350k and while I dont know old intel well. others do say that coolers work across the 1150 sockets...so..try and see? cautiously? 

Posted · Original PosterOP

i ordered the i3 8350k from amazon (I am building new pc).

So i want to install arctic freezer i32 on the new i3.

And the stock cooler of the i3 to the i7 870.

But as i see the i3 does not come with a cooler so i will think of something else. Maybe buy a cheap cooler for the old i7 since i will not be playing games on that pc.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:25 PM, csandreas1 said:

Oh right! I thought you had the i3 already and were buying the older CPU. But I'd recommend getting a better cooler for the i3 as it overclocks quite generously. Also, you might want to look at used coolers, since the fins don't get worn out and the fans can be replaced. 

19 minutes ago, csandreas1 said:

So i want to install arctic freezer i32 on the new i3.

And the stock cooler of the i3 to the i7 870.

But as i see the i3 does not come with a cooler so i will think of something else. Maybe buy a cheap cooler for the old i7 since i will not be playing games on that pc.

LGA 115x mounts are the same, so it'll work just fine.

CPU: Intel i7-4870HQ Heatsink: Coolermaster TPC 812 GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Geil DDR3 2x8GB Evo Potenza 2400Mhz mobo: MSI B85-IE35 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W