3Pin 5V to 4Pin 12V RGB Adapter?

gigabyte adapter 1 2 3

deepcool manul 2.png

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

want to use rgb on a corsair commander pro or node? hears a dac for that.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/24/2020 at 5:42 PM, thrasher_565 said:

Do you know if this works? The one review i can find on youtube has problems with the color changing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4dsqJ_W0I&t=361s) and there are no reviews on amazon.com. The 2 reviews on amazon.de are 4 and 5 stars but i dont know if these are all real?

13 hours ago, TheKrakerK6 said:

Do you know if this works? The one review i can find on youtube has problems with the color changing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4dsqJ_W0I&t=361s) and there are no reviews on amazon.com. The 2 reviews on amazon.de are 4 and 5 stars but i dont know if these are all real?

i don't own it so i don't no. its out of stock. ya they do have problems. best is to just buy rgb stuff if you have rgb header and argb stuff if you have argb header.... its is what it is deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 5:12 PM, kman261 said:

P_20190916_021918_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.246fef348c5445f437c460ae8b6c3850.jpg

That worked!  Got eight fans plus RGB strips plugged into the anidees controller then to the deepcool converter then to the motherboard.  All can sync up via the asus aura software.  It does treat everything plugged into the converter as a single element and you lose straight white color, but can still use the anidees remote to see effects which are setup for the addressable LED's on the fans/strips.   Can't speak to anything related to overdraw of power since didn't plug anything into the 12v ports on the deepcool device.  But definitely saved hassle of having two separate ways to turn off and on. 

Not sure how dead this thread is, but I'm doing my first build, similar to the OP, with the Phanteks P350X case and the Asus B450f-Gaming MoBo. I have the converter and I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed with all the cables. 

1. Did you daisy chain all the fans' rgb cables together, plug it into the controller, and then into the converter?

2. At the top of the converter, there is a 3 pin male connection for LED strips and fans, however my controller is a 4 pin female for the fans. So, can I have the LEDs for the fans remain daisy chained in the controller whilst the fans are connected to the dedicated headers on the MoBo?

3. I have 12 components with argb I want to light up. Will connecting all these through the Deep Cool Converter overload my MoBo, or is it powered via PSU? 

Sorry for all the questions lol

4 hours ago, DDrew95 said:

Not sure how dead this thread is, but I'm doing my first build, similar to the OP, with the Phanteks P350X case and the Asus B450f-Gaming MoBo. I have the converter and I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed with all the cables. 

1. Did you daisy chain all the fans' rgb cables together, plug it into the controller, and then into the converter?

2. At the top of the converter, there is a 3 pin male connection for LED strips and fans, however my controller is a 4 pin female for the fans. So, can I have the LEDs for the fans remain daisy chained in the controller whilst the fans are connected to the dedicated headers on the MoBo?

3. I have 12 components with argb I want to light up. Will connecting all these through the Deep Cool Converter overload my MoBo, or is it powered via PSU? 

Sorry for all the questions lol

no one nos how many argb devices on each port it can handle. safe to say 1 per port. but if you make custom cables and just pull the data and ground (you may only need jsut the data) from the deepcool convertor and get the 5v power form your psu you can have w/e amount you want.

Edited by thrasher_565

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I have an ARGB light strip from cable mod, and it appears to have a three-pin plug, but the motherboard has a different style of three-pin plug to the strip because it uses the four-pin with one pin missing style, but it still says addressable generation two next to it... I'm wondering if I can get that working, and if I can get it working, how would I do that???

Okay... I just checked on eBay, and it is a three-pin VDG to normal three-pin converter for gigabyte or something motherboards that have a different connector, although my motherboard is in Asus TUF brand motherboard so it shouldn't need the converter I would think right??? I'm not even sure what the gigabyte one is whether it's the actual three pin... or is it the four pin with the one clipped off??? Either way, if I hook it up backwards it shouldn't do anything bad I would think unless somebody has any information on that if I hooked it up the wrong direction as long as it was the right power???

**edit**

From all the product descriptions I could read, the problem I am having, it might fix, although it is supposed to originally be used to switch it around the other way so hopefully it will convert the four-pin thing on the motherboard to the three-pin I need as opposed to converting the four-pin to what is I guess a standard three-pin without the empty spot in the middle that is apparently different than everybody else uses except for gigabyte... Now, why anybody would need such a thing in the first place if they would just get rid of gigabyte altogether is beyond me but because my LEDs have the three pin without the space missing plug I need to convert that into the regular plug or I'm not even sure which one's a regular plug anymore I just know that one is a four pin with one pin missing and the other ones a straight three pin...

Edited by Wiebenor

27 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

Okay... I just checked on eBay, and it is a three-pin VDG to normal three-pin converter for gigabyte or something motherboards that have a different connector, although my motherboard is in Asus TUF brand motherboard so it shouldn't need the converter I would think right??? I'm not even sure what the gigabyte one is whether it's the actual three pin... or is it the four pin with the one clipped off??? Either way, if I hook it up backwards it shouldn't do anything bad I would think unless somebody has any information on that if I hooked it up the wrong direction as long as it was the right power???

**edit**

From all the product descriptions I could read, the problem I am having, it might fix, although it is supposed to originally be used to switch it around the other way so hopefully it will convert the four-pin thing on the motherboard to the three-pin I need as opposed to converting the four-pin to what is I guess a standard three-pin without the empty spot in the middle that is apparently different than everybody else uses except for gigabyte... Now, why anybody would need such a thing in the first place if they would just get rid of gigabyte altogether is beyond me but because my LEDs have the three pin without the space missing plug I need to convert that into the regular plug or I'm not even sure which one's a regular plug anymore I just know that one is a four pin with one pin missing and the other ones a straight three pin...

first are your strips argb or rgb? sounds like the one on the mb is argb

back then when argb came out and gigabit used the 3pin mb header but that's old and they got rid of it for reasons

On 8/11/2020 at 6:17 PM, thrasher_565 said:

first are your strips argb or rgb? sounds like the one on the mb is argb

back then when argb came out and gigabit used the 3pin mb header but that's old and they got rid of it for reasons

Yes... They are ARGB, and although I haven't got my adapter that I purchased in the mail yet, I did convert from three pin to four pin by using an old new RGB corsair light loop fan and cannibalizing the RGB cable, And it does do what ARGB lights do so aside from cable mod actually labeling the package ARGB the three pin which by the way as you yourself stated was ARGB and has apparently been thankfully replaced by the four pin that's actually a three pin, I know for a fact since I know what an RGB versus ARGB plug looks like... I use regular RGB all the time in my house so I know the difference between ARGB and RGB my problem was which I fixed at least temporarily, since I used a Jerry Rigged solution, is that my motherboard has the four pin connector with the one pin snipped off whereas my light strip has that old gigabyte three pin connector that I don't know why it's being sold if it is as you say so old and not used anymore... It's actually referred to as ARGB version two on the motherboard and honestly I don't know what the lights said on the package aside from ARGB, so I don't know if it's version 0 version 1 version 2 version 3 hell It could be version 40 for all I know... In case you're wondering, I snipped one of the middle two wires, on the end of that I was hooking up to my ARGB connector on the lighting side that way it would be three pin to three pin then all I had to do was plug the cable in the right direction...

1 hour ago, Wiebenor said:

Yes... They are ARGB, and although I haven't got my adapter that I purchased in the mail yet, I did convert from three pin to four pin by using an old new RGB corsair light loop fan and cannibalizing the RGB cable, And it does do what ARGB lights do so aside from cable mod actually labeling the package ARGB the three pin which by the way as you yourself stated was ARGB and has apparently been thankfully replaced by the four pin that's actually a three pin, I know for a fact since I know what an RGB versus ARGB plug looks like... I use regular RGB all the time in my house so I know the difference between ARGB and RGB my problem was which I fixed at least temporarily, since I used a Jerry Rigged solution, is that my motherboard has the four pin connector with the one pin snipped off whereas my light strip has that old gigabyte three pin connector that I don't know why it's being sold if it is as you say so old and not used anymore... It's actually referred to as ARGB version two on the motherboard and honestly I don't know what the lights said on the package aside from ARGB, so I don't know if it's version 0 version 1 version 2 version 3 hell It could be version 40 for all I know... In case you're wondering, I snipped one of the middle two wires, on the end of that I was hooking up to my ARGB connector on the lighting side that way it would be three pin to three pin then all I had to do was plug the cable in the right direction...

wall of texed so i thing you just took a 4pin rgb connector and attached it to the 3pin argb? any way if it works it works most people on here dont want to get there hands dirty for soldering so most just buy an adapter.

ya i be leave gigabite was the first to put argb headers on the mb and made the vgd connector but if you plug it in wrong puff the magic smoke so they discontinued it. i don't no if they made the 2+1 connector or they got that from some one els i don't no that story.

Edited by thrasher_565

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

wall of texed so i thing you just took a 4pin rgb connector and attached it to the 3pin argb? any way if it works it works most people on here dont want to get there hands dirty for soldering so most just buy an adapter.

ya i be leave gigabite was the first to put argb headers on the mb and made the vdg connector but if you plug it in wrong puff the magic smoke so they discontinued it. i don't no if they made the 2+1 connector or they got that from some one els i don't no that story.

Honestly, I don't really know the story either and technically if you must know, I did not do any soldering because I'm not a soldering guy but I did electrical tape it off so it's not quite so you know no electricity touching and all that cuz I don't want no arcing or anything going on and I don't want it touching the case so I do though have the actual converter ordered so it's not like I don't have it It's just that I wanted to try it out and I don't have a commander pro or whatever for the fan so I just thought F it if I use the fan then I won't use the lighting that's on it because apparently it requires a node pro or something to go with it... And it was just something I picked up at a garage sale for like five bucks anyway so who cares...

11 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

Honestly, I don't really know the story either and technically if you must know, I did not do any soldering because I'm not a soldering guy but I did electrical tape it off so it's not quite so you know no electricity touching and all that cuz I don't want no arcing or anything going on and I don't want it touching the case so I do though have the actual converter ordered so it's not like I don't have it It's just that I wanted to try it out and I don't have a commander pro or whatever for the fan so I just thought F it if I use the fan then I won't use the lighting that's on it because apparently it requires a node pro or something to go with it... And it was just something I picked up at a garage sale for like five bucks anyway so who cares...

i have a guide to hook up that fan if its argb? you don't need a node or commander if you buy an adapter or cut off the connector like you did. works fine on non corsair argb controllers.

for argb to work with each other you have to have the same voltage both 5v or 12 and you have your positive to positive data to data and ground to ground then use w/e connector gets the job done. side note is there are 4 pin argb connectors like corsair that has a data in and data out. its basically like having one side of the strip data in and the other side of the strip data out so you can daisy change them.

another thing you have to have is what pwm the controller is set to has to match or with in a % if there off too much it wont light up at all or it will flicker. some azrock mb have this problem.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

i have a guide to hook up that fan if its argb? you don't need a node or commander if you buy an adapter or cut off the connector like you did. works fine on non corsair argb controllers.

for argb to work with each other you have to have the same voltage both 5v or 12 and you have your positive to positive data to data and ground to ground then use w/e connector gets the job done. side note is there are 4 pin argb connectors like corsair that has a data in and data out. its basically like having one side of the strip data in and the other side of the strip data out so you can daisy change them.

another thing you have to have is what pwm the controller is set to has to match or with in a % if there off too much it wont light up at all or it will flicker. some azrock mb have this problem.

Lol... Well... Like I say, I won't have the problem of needing to worry about that particular Corsair fan because it no longer has the RGB cable because as I said I cannibalized it for the other project because I wanted to make sure that that light strip would work... The really stupid thing is, is as far as I'm concerned anyway the fact that they actually sell that old style of ARGB lighting although it did say on the box that you are supposed to get some kind of a RGB hub or something to use it but I still don't think that they should be using that old style even if it is only supposed to be hooked up to some kind of an ARGB hub... I know the regular RGB lights were sold In a "kit" where this wasn't, so obviously, I figured it would be plug and play, but I had to hook up my jerry rigged connector, at least until I get my factory made one... Funny thing though on the Corsair light loops fan... I actually had that problem where it was just a dim red color and wouldn't change to any other color or any of that... That's part of the reason why I cannibalized it... I couldn't find any information on them so I just said f*** it I'm going to just cannibalize it, so it currently has no RGB wires even... Maybe I should have not cut them so close but I did because I didn't want to have any wires hanging out past the fan... And the fan does work although I haven't tried it since I cut off the RGB cable, but it should still work... Not that I didn't know that I could run it off of the motherboard, because I have been in touch with Corsair and they said that I could although it would be very very extremely hard and of course they wouldn't give me the how to do that so that was kind of something I had to try to find on my own I used to be able to find stuff on Google very easily but now with all these different names that things have it's getting harder and harder to find things unless you know exactly what you're looking for because everything's so technically named now...

14 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

Lol... Well... Like I say, I won't have the problem of needing to worry about that particular Corsair fan because it no longer has the RGB cable because as I said I cannibalized it for the other project because I wanted to make sure that that light strip would work... The really stupid thing is, is as far as I'm concerned anyway the fact that they actually sell that old style of ARGB lighting although it did say on the box that you are supposed to get some kind of a RGB hub or something to use it but I still don't think that they should be using that old style even if it is only supposed to be hooked up to some kind of an ARGB hub... I know the regular RGB lights were sold In a "kit" where this wasn't, so obviously, I figured it would be plug and play, but I had to hook up my jerry rigged connector, at least until I get my factory made one... Funny thing though on the Corsair light loops fan... I actually had that problem where it was just a dim red color and wouldn't change to any other color or any of that... That's part of the reason why I cannibalized it... I couldn't find any information on them so I just said f*** it I'm going to just cannibalize it, so it currently has no RGB wires even... Maybe I should have not cut them so close but I did because I didn't want to have any wires hanging out past the fan... And the fan does work although I haven't tried it since I cut off the RGB cable, but it should still work... Not that I didn't know that I could run it off of the motherboard, because I have been in touch with Corsair and they said that I could although it would be very very extremely hard and of course they wouldn't give me the how to do that so that was kind of something I had to try to find on my own I used to be able to find stuff on Google very easily but now with all these different names that things have it's getting harder and harder to find things unless you know exactly what you're looking for because everything's so technically named now...

ya i don't no what corsair fan your talking about a name would be helpful.

ya i have a guide on any thing corsair and argb. all the pin out schematic.

the corsair argb  fans use 4pin argb and connect to a hub that connectors to an node pro or commander pro by a 3pin 2 wire connector to one of the 2 led ports.

i take it you got the fan and not the hub?

Edited by thrasher_565

Okay... Here's the story of that fan and I'll try to make this quick... First of all, you were saying you didn't know what model, and it is a light loops 120 fan... But it is a black fan that has the product number of the white fan of all things... I don't know why the product number would match with a white variant but whatever...

How I picked up the fan, was this, I was helping set up our church garage sale, and I saw a PSU box, that said Corsair, so I picked it up, and took a look in it... It had two NZXT fans the rifle ball bearing ones, and one ll120 fan... The lady asked me what it should be priced and I said that the one fan probably would be 30 bucks brand new and the other two maybe 15 a piece and the lady said would 15 bucks work, And I said I'll take the lot... Box and all... Also, I found out later there was a baggie presumably from the motherboard that came with the computer that presumably that stuff originally was for, that had two SATA port cables in it, in unused condition... The fan from Corsair, was in its packaging as far as what comes with an individual fan, but in talking to Corsair they say that probably originally came in a three pack with the commander or some other controller device... And if you ask me, 15 bucks is a pretty cheap price for three pretty good fans...

25 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

Okay... Here's the story of that fan and I'll try to make this quick... First of all, you were saying you didn't know what model, and it is a light loops 120 fan... But it is a black fan that has the product number of the white fan of all things... I don't know why the product number would match with a white variant but whatever...

How I picked up the fan, was this, I was helping set up our church garage sale, and I saw a PSU box, that said Corsair, so I picked it up, and took a look in it... It had two NZXT fans the rifle ball bearing ones, and one ll120 fan... The lady asked me what it should be priced and I said that the one fan probably would be 30 bucks brand new and the other two maybe 15 a piece and the lady said would 15 bucks work, And I said I'll take the lot... Box and all... Also, I found out later there was a baggie presumably from the motherboard that came with the computer that presumably that stuff originally was for, that had two SATA port cables in it, in unused condition... The fan from Corsair, was in its packaging as far as what comes with an individual fan, but in talking to Corsair they say that probably originally came in a three pack with the commander or some other controller device... And if you ask me, 15 bucks is a pretty cheap price for three pretty good fans...

ok i got it i no it as the ll 120 fan but it dos say " Dual Light Loops"

ya sound like corsair was right and its missing the hub to use it. but other people also made modded cables to use that fan on standerd 2+1 connetors

2 corsair fans to the node/commander (with the need for the out hub)

corsair hub/strip  to 2+1 connector

jst-sm to corsair commander/node or hub

corsair to nzxt fan

corsair to rgb

2 hubs to 1 corsair port

corsair fan diagram.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ok i got it i no it as the ll 120 fan but it dos say " Dual Light Loop light loops"

ya sound like corsair was right and its missing the hub to use it. but other people also made modded cables to use that fan on standerd 2+1 connetors

2 corsair fans to the node/commander (with the need for the out hub)

corsair hub/strip  to 2+1 connector

jst-sm to corsair commander/node or hub

corsair to nzxt fan

corsair to rgb

2 hubs to 1 corsair port

corsair fan diagram.jpg

What do you think??? 2 NZXT rifle bearing fans, and a ll120 fan, as well as 2 unused  SATA connectors, for 15$ good price???

6 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

What do you think??? 2 NZXT rifle bearing fans, and a ll120 fan, as well as 2 unused  SATA connectors, for 15$ good price???

ya ied say so. i would buy it. too bad you cut up the fan thow...

Edited by thrasher_565

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya ied say so. i would buy it.

Exactly my thought at the time... I was getting ready to build a new computer and figured at the very least I'd have two if not three fans that would work really good in said new computer... I did get that computer built too although I may still upgrade from the stock 3900X cooler because I would rather not be at 75 to 80 degrees Celsius under load even if I'm in a hotter environment such as Minnesota... I realize I'm not like in Arizona or something but still when it gets these very few days of the year where it hits 90 or 100 degrees and even when it's not 90 or 100 degrees Fahrenheit the house has no air conditioning so obviously the room it's currently in sucks for air and is always hot so yeah

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya ied say so. i would buy it. too bad you cut up the fan thow...

Lol... I'm still going to find a use for the fan... I actually think I already have a use for it but I'm not 100% sure on that... When I get my shop in the barn figured out, I'm going to put some PWM fans if I can figure it out up on the ceiling, as kind of a PC themed ceiling fan setup... I'll be using a PWM controller, again, if I can figure out how to hook it up to the electric or the computer or however I decided to do that, because it does need 12 volts so I'm not sure how I would when I'm wiring in everything figure that in... also, my shop thank God, will likely have air conditioning when I'm done so yeah... Definitely where I'll be storing my computer, and possibly have a bit of a mattress or something out there too for those all night benders when I'm playing games to high heaven...

2 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

Lol... I'm still going to find a use for the fan... I actually think I already have a use for it but I'm not 100% sure on that... When I get my shop in the barn figured out, I'm going to put some PWM fans if I can figure it out up on the ceiling, as kind of a PC themed ceiling fan setup... I'll be using a PWM controller, again, if I can figure out how to hook it up to the electric or the computer or however I decided to do that, because it does need 12 volts so I'm not sure how I would when I'm wiring in everything figure that in...

pwm fans in the ceiling of the shop? or case? pc fans wont do shit in a room.

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

pwm fans in the ceiling of the shop? or case? pc fans wont do shit in a room.

My uncle knows a guy who uses them in his big fish house, And besides that, my uncle uses one that I made for him in his fish house, and it works just fine to move the air around... Besides, my shop is only 7 ft by 18 ft or something like that So obviously it's not that much of a space to cool and all that so just five down the center and maybe five where I'm going to be at going the other direction on the one end and that would be all I would need, But I'm going to start a thread on that to see what other people think... And by the way, I don't think I have it handy but I do have a picture somewhere of the person's setup in his fishing shack, and in case it wasn't clear, yes I mean my shop... Oh and by the way, I don't mean in the ceiling, I mean hanging down a few inches from the ceiling... That is generally how those setups work...