Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimOrion

3Pin 5V to 4Pin 12V RGB Adapter?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey! I just built my new Rig, and everything works, but my Phanteks P350X Case that has RGB Lighting came with a 3Pin Female RGB Connector to plug into the MoBo, but my ASUS Prime B450 Plus only has the regular 4 Pin RGB Header. I would really want this to work, since the case is also Aura Compatible, and I don't want to miss out on that. I haven't really found an Adapter for that, are there even any? Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TimOrion said:

Hey! I just built my new Rig, and everything works, but my Phanteks P350X Case that has RGB Lighting came with a 3Pin Female RGB Connector to plug into the MoBo, but my ASUS Prime B450 Plus only has the regular 4 Pin RGB Header. I would really want this to work, since the case is also Aura Compatible, and I don't want to miss out on that. I haven't really found an Adapter for that, are there even any? Thanks in advance!

I think Phanteks sells a adapter on their website for this issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not really possible. I'm having the exact same issue ATM, case has Addressable RGB (AKA ARGB or Digital RGB) with 3 pins and my board has an RGB (AKA analogue RGB) header on it.

 

Unfortunately the 2 systems are entirely incompatible with each other, analogue RGB uses one wire per colour (4 wires, one 12v, one red, one green and one blue) and the system can only show one colour at a time while ARGB uses a digital system that runs on 5v and can show multiple colours on the same rail at a time.

 

There's hobby projects to convert between them but its kind of janky and really limits the possibilities of ARGB, basically you lose all the advantages it has over normal RGB.

 

The other solution which I am considering is to swap the fans on my case for standard 4 pin RGB fans instead of 3 pin ARGB but I actually really like the look of the ARGB system.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

I think Phanteks sells a adapter on their website for this issue.

This one?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-rgb-led-adapter-cable-ca-057-pt.html

 

That does not convert between RGB and ARGB, it simply allows users to connect the phanteks fans and an RGB strip up to a single RGB header on a board at the same time. Phanteks use a proprietary connector on their fans.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

I say use a usb adapter hub if they won't play nice with your motherboard connector until you can upgrade all the fans to the 4 pin connection and do all of it in aura sync

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 7:17 AM, jonrosalia said:

I say use a usb adapter hub if they won't play nice with your motherboard connector until you can upgrade all the fans to the 4 pin connection and do all of it in aura sync

I cannot find an a-rbg hub/adapter anywhere. Can you point me towards one...

 

Very confused that none of the motherboard companies have released an expansion card that can handle both RBG, and a-rbg and tie into there boards control system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kolton2003 said:

Holy mother of god. You have no idea how much I need one of these in my life.

 

I just hope they sell them on UK Amazon.


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please confirm for me whether or not the DEEPCOOL Convertor actually works and how well it works if it does indeed work. My only other option at this point seems to be the ROG Aura Terminal, and not only is it stupid expensive, but it also doesn't exactly have the greatest reviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's not fixed or for anyone that has this problem. For $10-$15 you can buy a hub that will allow you to plug in rgb connectors and some have VGA and a data power connector for the hub. You should have full control of your lights, fans and colors with it hooked up. I got 3 120mm rgb fans remote and 8 port rgb fan hub for $35. It solved all my problems with my rgb fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, kolton2003 said:

Hi guys! This thread might be dead but I'm EXTREMELY greatful that it exists. Thank you for the link to that adapter. Mine will be here tomorrow. Will post in a few days if it works. If I don't you can assume my computer caught fire. 😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EdgePleb said:

this is not helpfull has nothing to do with the question of going from 3pin 5v to 4pin 12v....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the DeepCool Adapter. Hooked it up to the 4 pin RGB header on my Maximus iX Hero and used an Antec Prizm 140 ARGB fan. The bottom line answer is that, yes, it does work. It syncs with the MB RGB with a fraction of a second delay. My question is that this only has one 5v port on it. Has anyone tried this with a splitter(3 in 1 for example)? I wold like to be able to hook up my 140mm fan and my two other 120mm case fans and be able to address them on one header, while leaving the other possibley for some LED strips, or some other combination?

Link to post
Share on other sites
El 21/8/2019 a las 0:43, mendocenter55 dijo:

Compuesto por el adaptador DeepCool. Lo conecté al encabezado RGB de 4 pines en mi Maximus iX Hero y utiliza un ventilador Antec Prizm 140 ARGB. La respuesta final es que sí, funciona. Se sincroniza con el MB RGB con una fracción de segundo retraso. Mi pregunta es que esto solo tiene un puerto de 5v. ¿Alguien ha intentado esto con un divisor (3 en 1, por ejemplo)? Me gustaría poder conectar mi ventilador de 140 mm y mis otros dos ventiladores de caja de 120 mm y poder abordarlos en un encabezado, dejando el otro posible para algunas tiras de LED, o alguna otra combinación.

It occurs to me to connect a splitter for the 3 fans and then to the only signal that the adapter gives you, consult ... The unidirectional effect that has argb of 5v can this adapacion be occupied in the same way?  The option dr show several colors to the.  Let's say.  regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, PABLINHO said:

It occurs to me to connect a splitter for the 3 fans and then to the only signal that the adapter gives you, consult ... The unidirectional effect that has argb of 5v can this adapacion be occupied in the same way?  The option dr show several colors to the.  Let's say.  regards

I found a kind of splitter 5v/3pin for what is needed, unfortunately since Amazon is too expensive, I've been trying to buy the deepcool adapter, but apparently it does not reach my country: Yes, did you have any new information regarding its operation?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C1VDYNG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1W7VJMCZRZBUQ&psc=1


regards
Link to post
Share on other sites

so i look at the diagram on what port is what and how to hook it up. looks like the 12v is pulled form the mb header witch makes sense. so the 12v max amps will be w/e your mb allows. as for the 5v is pulled from the sata. i don't no if its pulled form the psu or if there's a max amps for that port. a question to ask deep cool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 9:43 PM, mendocenter55 said:

I bought the DeepCool Adapter. Hooked it up to the 4 pin RGB header on my Maximus iX Hero and used an Antec Prizm 140 ARGB fan. The bottom line answer is that, yes, it does work. It syncs with the MB RGB with a fraction of a second delay. My question is that this only has one 5v port on it. Has anyone tried this with a splitter(3 in 1 for example)? I wold like to be able to hook up my 140mm fan and my two other 120mm case fans and be able to address them on one header, while leaving the other possibley for some LED strips, or some other combination?

Hi Sorry,can you help me?
I have your same motherboard and the same adapter, the instructions are not very clear because from the instructions the connectors I marked with the number 1 should go on the motherboard, but the connector 2 at the bottom to what should be connected? Can I connect the fan adapter of the second picture to the number 3? Thank you in advance because I no longer know how to connect these damn fans .

Sorry for my bad English
Cheers Valerio

 

 

Annotation 2019-08-30 002920.png

Annotation 2019-08-30 003105 2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Diaconox said:

Hi Sorry,can you help me?
I have your same motherboard and the same adapter, the instructions are not very clear because from the instructions the connectors I marked with the number 1 should go on the motherboard, but the connector 2 at the bottom to what should be connected? Can I connect the fan adapter of the second picture to the number 3? Thank you in advance because I no longer know how to connect these damn fans .

Sorry for my bad English
Cheers Valerio

 

 

Annotation 2019-08-30 002920.png

Annotation 2019-08-30 003105 2.png

will not work with the dark flash controller.

number 3 in red is were you connect your 5v Argb device. number 1 in red is were you connect your 12v rgb device. at the top is were you connect your 5v argb device with the 3 pin connector with a lock on it (called the jst-sm connector) rgb strips, deep cool, phantech, i think silverstone, lianli, ezdiy-fab, all use that connector)

the cable that has the sata off of it gos to sata form psu and the other part to your 4 pin 12v rgb connector on the mb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

will not work with the dark flash controller.

number 3 in red is were you connect your 5v Argb device. number 1 in red is were you connect your 12v rgb device. at the top is were you connect your 5v argb device with the 3 pin connector with a lock on it (called the jst-sm connector) rgb strips, deep cool, phantech, i think silverstone, lianli, ezdiy-fab, all use that connector)

the cable that has the sata off of it gos to sata form psu and the other part to your 4 pin 12v rgb connector on the mb.

Thank you very much for the info, I do some tests right away and let you know.

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 6:49 PM, thrasher_565 said:

will not work with the dark flash controller.

number 3 in red is were you connect your 5v Argb device. number 1 in red is were you connect your 12v rgb device. at the top is were you connect your 5v argb device with the 3 pin connector with a lock on it (called the jst-sm connector) rgb strips, deep cool, phantech, i think silverstone, lianli, ezdiy-fab, all use that connector)

the cable that has the sata off of it gos to sata form psu and the other part to your 4 pin 12v rgb connector on the mb.

The Darkflash adapter also worked and works, everything is perfect.

Now if they deign to send me the connectors I finish the Barrows system with the transparent rigid tubes with UV liquid inside.

Unfortunately I can not synchronize the power supply and the graphics card (for now) but I will find a way.

Thank you very much for your help

V.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Diaconox said:

The Darkflash adapter also worked and works, everything is perfect.

Now if they deign to send me the connectors I finish the Barrows system with the transparent rigid tubes with UV liquid inside.

Unfortunately I can not synchronize the power supply and the graphics card (for now) but I will find a way.

Thank you very much for your help

V.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed.jpg

looks good . oh i guess you connected the dark flash to the deepcool dint think of it that way haha. by bad. as for the psu it might just be a red led fan but i dont no im guessing. only way i can think of it opening it up and putting your own fan in to but that voids the warranty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

looks good . oh i guess you connected the dark flash to the deepcool dint think of it that way haha. by bad. as for the psu it might just be a red led fan but i dont no im guessing. only way i can think of it opening it up and putting your own fan in to but that voids the warranty.

Yep, I connected the Darkflash to the Deepcool 😁
The Thermaltake power supply has an RGB fan but does not have a controller, I can only decide the color or start the rainbow sequence. Now I live in Vancouver and I bought the power supply in Italy, so goodbye guarantee 😩.

when I have time I will try to open it and check the connector.🧐

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

THE DEEPCOOL ADAPTER WORKS!!! I was able to connect the addressable LEDs of the Lian Li strimer and the Phanteks Enthoo Evolve X and daisy chain them to my motherboard's 12v RGB header!!!

PSX_20190830_193259.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like it might work for my situation but wanted to get some opinions.  Similar to the darkflash hub I have a case from anidees with a total of  8 fans and LED strips plugged into a hub.  Of course as this is my first build with RGB components I completely missed there are different standards so the hub needs to connect to a three pin 5V on the motherboard and my ASUS x470 Prime has the 12V four pin connectors. 

 

Sounds like I can plug the 5V connector from my hub that has all fans/LED strips into this converter which can then plug into the 12V four pin connector on the motherboard. 

 

Am I understanding this correctly? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×