What would this Xeon CPU be equivalent to?

XR6

Hey all,

What consumer CPU (i3, i5, i7 for example) would the Xeon E7-8890v2 be equivalent to? 

Thanks in advance :)

I'm just going to assume it's fine since it has 15 cores, it's from 2014 and it retailed for $6000. 

(it's a good deal btw, like £200)

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I'm just going to assume it's fine since it has 15 cores, it's from 2014 and it retailed for $6000. 

(it's a good deal btw, like £200)

A 15-core Xeon isn't really comparable to any consumer CPUs. It probably won't be great for gaming though.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

It doesn't have an exact Core series equivalent.

It's got the Ivy Bridge architecture, so maybe a 3770K could come close to matching it, but it really does depend on what you're using it for. For multithreaded applications, this Xeon would be miles better than a 3770K.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

A 15-core Xeon isn't really comparable to any consumer CPUs. It probably won't be great for gaming though.

That's true.

It has a return policy though so even if it doesn't live up to my expectations I can get a refund.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It doesn't have an exact Core series equivalent.

It's got the Ivy Bridge architecture, so maybe a 3770K could come close to matching it, but it really does depend on what you're using it for. For multithreaded applications, this Xeon would be miles better than a 3770K.

The most demanding game I'd be playing on it is probably GTA 5. I'm planning to pair it with a 980 Ti or a 1070 FE.

I would be doing quite a bit of CPU-intensive work on it anyway, hence why I kept the Xeon in mind.

3770K performance doesn't sound terrible to me tbh, it's still better than my 4460.

2 minutes ago, saksham said:

Xeon E7-8890v2 is pretty shit tbh

do not buy for 200. i would buy for 50 british pounds

its worse than a i5 2600 non-k

if you are willing to spend 200 for high core count, get ryzen 2600. if you want gaming performance for 200 get i5-8400

5 minutes ago, saksham said:

if you are willing to spend 200 for high core count, get ryzen 2600. if you want gaming performance for 200 get i5-8400

Ryzen 2600 6 core / 12 thread is hardly comparable to this Xeon's 15 core 30 thread.  It really depends on what he's trying to do with the system to say which is better.  I'm wondering if he's going to be able to find a motherboard for a reasonable price for that Xeon he has in mind though. 

He's going to need a substantial cooling solution for it too judging from the 155 Watt TDP.

3 minutes ago, Swarlos said:

Ryzen 2600 6 core / 12 thread is hardly comparable to this Xeon's 15 core 30 thread.  It really depends on what he's trying to do with the system to say which is better.  I'm wondering if he's going to be able to find a motherboard for a reasonable price for that Xeon he has in mind though. 

He's going to need a substantial cooling solution for it too judging from the 155 Watt TDP.

I found a whole system for £200 that I was just going to upgrade.

I'm thinking of possibly a 'be quiet!' cooler or maybe a Noctua cooler. I'd prefer to go air cooled.

11 minutes ago, saksham said:

It's quite expensive to build a Ryzen or i5 system here in the UK, it will cost me at least £800 for a whole build. 

I would go for Ryzen but it's out of budget.

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I found a whole system for £200 that I was just going to upgrade.

I'm thinking of possibly a 'be quiet!' cooler or maybe a Noctua cooler. I'd prefer to go air cooled.

That sounds like a pretty cheap price.  Whatever cooler you get make sure it's compatible with the 2011 socket.

Just now, Swarlos said:

Does anyone know if you need a special operating system to run this CPU?

I think it'll be fine as Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (the OS I will be using) supports up to 256 cores.

8 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I think it'll be fine as Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (the OS I will be using) supports up to 256 cores.

I don't see it specifically noted on this page on the Intel site. Xeon isn't listed in the Ivy Bridge section, it starts with Haswell.  Being able to handle a large number of cores doesn't mean it supports your specific CPU.  I don't know if it's definitely not supported, but I can't confirm that it is.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

1 minute ago, Swarlos said:

I don't see it specifically noted on this page on the Intel site. Xeon isn't listed in the Ivy Bridge section, it starts with Haswell.  Being able to handle a large number of cores doesn't mean it supports your specific CPU.  I don't know if it's definitely not supported, but I can't confirm that it is.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

The systems that I believe to be compatible with the CPU run Windows 7 so I'm 70% sure it'll work with Windows 10.

49 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Used 4770/4790K? It's still on the same socket, so you should be able to just plug and play.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Used 4770/4790K? It's still on the same socket, so you should be able to just plug and play.

Yeah, I have a B85 motherboard so I can't OC, but I feel like an i7-4770 or 4790 won't be enough of an upgrade to warrant spending the money.

A 4930K and X79 is the same price (if you factor in the RAM and stuff) and produces better scores on userbenchmark, plus it will be overclockable.

I'm currently looking into that as I've found a 'custom built' system I can slap a 1070 into. It's a pretty good price for what it is so I'll probably go for it.

Only downside is that is has a Gigabyte PSU. 

I plan to buy a 1070 FE from someone here on the LTT forums (hopefully) which might cut down on the prices a bit.

19 minutes ago, 1kv said:

The systems that I believe to be compatible with the CPU run Windows 7 so I'm 70% sure it'll work with Windows 10.

If the board uses the C602 chipset I can't say I have any confidence that it will. I have a dual socket LGA2011 server, screwing around it runs 7 just fine but can't run 10 stably worth a crap. Blue screens everywhere. That was with 10 Pro build 1803.