What amp should I use with Sony SS-B3000?

Jerry Wu

Hi everyone! I am tired of buying cheap Logitech speakers and I want to step up a bit. i don't have much knowledge in audio equipment and spec, but I am really interested in the Sony SS-B3000. I am aware that they are passive speakers and an amp or receiver is needed. There are so many varieties of amp on the internet and I don't understand the spec of these speakers to make the final decision. Would you all kindly inform me what my best option is? Thanks.

This link is the spec sheet for the speakers: http://store.sony.com/p/SS-B3000/en/p/SSB3000#specifications

The amp I am interested is this: http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-HTG237-000-Watt-2-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B0032F126G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366154424&sr=8-1&keywords=2+channel+amplifier

>Frequency Response : 50 - 50,000 Hz

First of all, you'll need a subwoofer or you'll literally be missing 30hz worth of the bass range

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666465540

>Power Requirements : 120W

>2 x 500W Max @ 4 OHMS - Bridgeable at 4 Ohms - High Pass Filter Controls - Channel Separation: >65dB - Fuse: 25A x 1

Okay, you'll seriously overexcurd (blow) those speakers if you plug them into that power amp. That's a perfectly good option for a DJ with speakers as tall as you who needs to save as much space as possible otherwise, but you need something like an a/v receiver (sony makes plenty of those as well) that lists power at 8Ohms. The speaker makers got their act together a long time ago, and rallied around the 4Ohm standard for speakers.

For instance:

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666431707#specifications

I'm a firm believer all well designed amplifiers sound the same. In the case of home theatre systems, I really do find that other than features and average lifespan, they are really no differences between the way speakers sound through modern receivers. That's a seriously good thing for the consumer. If only headphones were so easy. You might even find a old used amplifier lying around somewhere that would power speakers and a subwoofer like that just fine. I'm mentioned that audio hasn't changed much recently, right?

Speakers, are however, still very much an art and a science. Not to mention, they can get very expensive.

Now image you wanted a 5.1 channel or 7.2 channel setup. It gets expensive very quickly. I spent over $2000 on my 5.1 home theater system, including the TV.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I would highly recommend GoldenEar Technology Aon series bookshelf speakers ( goldenear.com ). I Use these with my HTPC and they are amazing for the price. You can probably pick up the aon 2's for under $700. They have awesome low/mid.high freq. response and they look nice too. I am just using them with a cheap entry level pioneer receiver, and they sound great. They are very efficient speakers so they don't require tons of power. I would go with an entry level pioneer, denon or marantz receiver. Check out hometheater.com under the top picks section. The reviews there are honest and technical, as well as subjective. If the Goldenear's are too pricey check out the list of top ranked small systems here [url=http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-compact-speakers]http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-compact-speakers[/url=http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-compact-speakers]. Just don't buy BOSE! Hope this is helpfull;-)

I'd just go with a 20w lepai amp.

should have plenty of power for a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

No amp needed for speakers with such low impedance. Almost all headphones have a higher impedance than that, amps are mostly used for audiophile quality headphones which have impedance up to, or even over, 300 ohms.

No amp needed for speakers with such low impedance. Almost all headphones have a higher impedance than that, amps are mostly used for audiophile quality headphones which have impedance up to, or even over, 300 ohms.
those are speakers, not headphones. an amp is needed.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

No amp needed for speakers with such low impedance. Almost all headphones have a higher impedance than that' date=' amps are mostly used for audiophile quality headphones which have impedance up to, or even over, 300 ohms.[/quote']

As someone who works in the pro audio industry, I'm not going to go into just how flawed that logic is but the T0wer has the gist of it.

@OP - the amp you've linked is a car audio amp designed for use on 12V DC current, not 120 or 240v mains. There's a belief in audio - use a product for what it's designed for. That's a car amp, nothing else. What t0wer listed would be a good start but honestly you could do it with a home stereo receiver and still be fine.

No amp needed for speakers with such low impedance. Almost all headphones have a higher impedance than that' date=' amps are mostly used for audiophile quality headphones which have impedance up to, or even over, 300 ohms.[/quote']

As someone who works in the pro audio industry, I'm not going to go into just how flawed that logic is but the T0wer has the gist of it.

@OP - the amp you've linked is a car audio amp designed for use on 12V DC current, not 120 or 240v mains. There's a belief in audio - use a product for what it's designed for. That's a car amp, nothing else. What t0wer listed would be a good start but honestly you could do it with a home stereo receiver and still be fine.

Of COURSE it was a car amp!

I need to quit posting when I'm half asleep. That said I'm sure that thing would violate nearly every municipal noise ordinance. I guess for the people who buy something like this, though, that's the point.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."