Does privacy.com work for Indian Debit cards

Hey guys, its my first post in LTT. I don't know if this is the right section. If any mod has seen this and there is a better section for this post, pls inform me so that i can post in the right place, or if you have the power, pls do so yourself.

I saw the recent Techlinked video (Bendgate 2.0 -21/12/2018) in which i learned about Privacy.com for the first time. I had the sponsor in the back of mind, as i own a debit card and was always skeptical to use it, but has to use it in certain situations, especially when some of there are some good offers if i use my Banks card and i have to save a buck where i can and so and so.

But apparently the Android app isn't available in India. Can anyone confirm if I can access it by using a vpn? or is it risky to try and do so? But most of all does it even work for Indian debit cards?

(There is an irony here i guess, using a vpn so that i can get a technical vpn for my debit card)

And yes I do need that 5$.. for steam of course.. I can finally get some 5$ games.. I am looking at you Klei Entertainment... Or maybe Astroneer.. Although i doubt if my potato pc can handle it.. Or at least I can change my limited account status in steam.

Why don't you just use your debit card to buy games on steam directly?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

7 hours ago, Idle_tyP0 said:

Hey guys, its my first post in LTT. I don't know if this is the right section. If any mod has seen this and there is a better section for this post, pls inform me so that i can post in the right place, or if you have the power, pls do so yourself.

I saw the recent Techlinked video (Bendgate 2.0 -21/12/2018) in which i learned about Privacy.com for the first time. I had the sponsor in the back of mind, as i own a debit card and was always skeptical to use it, but has to use it in certain situations, especially when some of there are some good offers if i use my Banks card and i have to save a buck where i can and so and so.

But apparently the Android app isn't available in India. Can anyone confirm if I can access it by using a vpn? or is it risky to try and do so? But most of all does it even work for Indian debit cards?

(There is an irony here i guess, using a vpn so that i can get a technical vpn for my debit card)

And yes I do need that 5$.. for steam of course.. I can finally get some 5$ games.. I am looking at you Klei Entertainment... Or maybe Astroneer.. Although i doubt if my potato pc can handle it.. Or at least I can change my limited account status in steam.

Firstly to psychically protect your debit card dont use it at sketchy places. Where I live we have ass holes who put skimmers on card readers to steal card info. The best way to beat them..... Dont use any ATM outside the ones at the Bank your card was issued. Also things like Google Pay and Apple Pay can also help protect your card as physical retailers and sometimes online. I choose to use Paypal when buying online, they act as middle man to make sure your card details are not given to the retailer. 

As far as steam is concerned, do they not have Steam Gift cards in India? OR do they have prepaid Visa/Master card cards? The prepaid cards work in the US, and you can buy credit to put on your steam wallet and purchase games that way. While these cards dont work for everything such as Subscription services, they can work for buying stuff. 

Also what kind of protections does your bank provide? Here in the US banks are pretty proactive when it comes to people stealing money. My bank TCF has no issue turning a debit card off and contacting the account holder if they believe charges are fraudulent. Also Card issues like Visa and Mastercard also provide protections. Do you guys use the Chip system? Is is it purely magnetic strip? OH if your card has RFID, it might be best to cover it in aluminum foil when not in use, this stops people from stealing info from in your pocket. Like I said, card fraud is an issue here in the US, you have to be proactive about stopping it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

bank card is fossils from a bygone era i think, ive never used my card other than large purchase or on emergency. i use mobile payment more than cash nowadays.

but using your card info on steam is okay i think.

anywho, i think most of the banks provide seperate account for rfid payment, dont deposit money in it, skimmer cant steal your rupee if there is no rupee in it.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 12/22/2018 at 2:32 PM, Idle_tyP0 said:

Android app isn't available in India. Can anyone confirm if I can access it by using a vpn?

That would be breaking the law, we dont help people break laws here at Linus Tech Tips. Similarly with downloading music and hackintosh. There is a reason why India has banned Privacy.com

It is all too common for countries to do that, and yes have to obey the laws of the land, even though you may think they are silly or lame or absurd.

India

• Rated "partly free" in Freedom on the Net by Freedom House in 2009 (score 34), 2011 (score 36), 2012 (score 39), 2013 (score 47), 2014 (score 42), and 2015 (score 40).[360][361][362][363][364][365]
  • Listed as selective in all areas by ONI in 2011.[5][366]
  • Listed as Under Surveillance by RWB in 2012 and 2013 and as an Internet Enemy in 2014.[3][4]

Since the Mumbai bombings of 2008, the Indian authorities have stepped up Internet surveillance and pressure on technical service providers, while publicly rejecting accusations of censorship.[4]

ONI describes India as:[366]

A stable democracy with a strong tradition of press freedom, [that] nevertheless continues its regime of Internet filtering. However, India's selective censorship of blogs and other content, often under the guise of security, has also been met with significant opposition.
Indian ISPs continue to selectively filter Web sites identified by authorities. However, government attempts at filtering have not been entirely effective because blocked content has quickly migrated to other Web sites and users have found ways to circumvent filtering. The government has also been criticized for a poor understanding of the technical feasibility of censorship and for haphazardly choosing which Web sites to block.

Also this article below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_India

New IT rules adopted

The "IT Rules 2011" were adopted in April 2011 as a supplement to the 2000 Information Technology Act (ITA). The new rules require Internet companies to remove within 36 hours of being notified by the authorities any content that is deemed objectionable, particularly if its nature is "defamatory," "hateful", "harmful to minors", or "infringes copyright". Cybercafé owners are required to photograph their customers, follow instructions on how their cafés should be set up so that all computer screens are in plain sight, keep copies of client IDs and their browsing histories for one year, and forward this data to the government each month.[3]

39 websites blocked

On 27 October 2018 the Department Of telecommunications in India banned 827 sites as they did in 2015.

Other reasons include defamation (39 requests), privacy and security (20 requests)

19 hours ago, zassou said:

i think most of the banks provide seperate account for rfid payment, dont deposit money in it, skimmer cant steal your rupee if there is no rupee in it.

Yeah, Dont think thats how it works. The RFID is in the actual bank card, at least thats how its in the US. Each Bank card is attached to one account, debit cards are linked to checking accounts. You kinda need money in the checking account if you want to pay for shit. Because most saving accounts only come with a ATM card, which generally cant be used to buy stuff at merchants, they are only for taking money out at the ATM.  The only way to protect yourself from RFID hacks is to make sure when your card is not in use, its in some kind of protective sleeve or in foil. Or better yet use a mobile payment system if the merchant allows. 

Also if the bank is worth a shit, they tend to spot fraud charges and act accordingly. Ive had my card data stolen twice, TCF Bank was on it like a fat kid on a donut. While I dont keep all my money in the checking account, I do keep a bit, for any unexpected purchases, plus banks pay like .01% interest, so really no advantage of a savings account, other than a place to keep a rainy day fund. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The RFID

There are a few things on the card.

The old skool magnetic strip, easily copied.

The Touch Pay where you just touch the card on the pinpad device, which can be copied if you can get close to it, there are products that block the signal where you slip your card in, or wallets too have blocking material.

Thirdly is the chip itself, havent heard any stories of that being hacked or copied, yet.

Of course the easy part is getting the pin digits. Common for thieves to put up false fronts on atm's, false covers over pinpads, a device on the serial line, hidden camera's, in the USA it is common for hardened crooks to kidnap and get the pin # from victim.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

they tend to spot fraud charges and act accordingly.

The majors dont give a fuck, that is why it took so long for the mag stripe to be superseded. With a tap function that can be easily copied. The good thing is with that is that after a certain amount, its required to use the chip and pin.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/26/bank-credit-card-hack/

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

hirdly is the chip itself, havent heard any stories of that being hacked or copied, yet.

From my understanding what we have in the US is not very good. We use the chip, but do not require a PIN. PIN's are generally only required for Debit transactions but not credit. So I think it has been hacked. There have been discussions online about our failed change over to the chip. Plus not all merchants use the chip, some are too cheap to pay for it to be implemented. Where I work, we dont have chip, we only have magnetic strip or mobile payment. Gas stations only use magnetic strip, at least at the pump. This is where card data gets stolen the most, and 3rd party ATM's. Those at Banks are safe, due to the extra security measures and banks are protected by the Feds, and most of these criminals dont want to incur the wrath of the FBI. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

merchants

There are to many payment service providers in the market, atleast in North America. Even Apple has a payment system, can use your phone to pay just scan or whatever they do at Starboners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 10:59 AM, Donut417 said:

Firstly to psychically protect your debit card dont use it at sketchy places. Where I live we have ass holes who put skimmers on card readers to steal card info. The best way to beat them..... Dont use any ATM outside the ones at the Bank your card was issued. Also things like Google Pay and Apple Pay can also help protect your card as physical retailers and sometimes online. I choose to use Paypal when buying online, they act as middle man to make sure your card details are not given to the retailer. 

As far as steam is concerned, do they not have Steam Gift cards in India? OR do they have prepaid Visa/Master card cards? The prepaid cards work in the US, and you can buy credit to put on your steam wallet and purchase games that way. While these cards dont work for everything such as Subscription services, they can work for buying stuff. 

Also what kind of protections does your bank provide? Here in the US banks are pretty proactive when it comes to people stealing money. My bank TCF has no issue turning a debit card off and contacting the account holder if they believe charges are fraudulent. Also Card issues like Visa and Mastercard also provide protections. Do you guys use the Chip system? Is is it purely magnetic strip? OH if your card has RFID, it might be best to cover it in aluminum foil when not in use, this stops people from stealing info from in your pocket. Like I said, card fraud is an issue here in the US, you have to be proactive about stopping it. 

The real reason i mentioned steam was as an excuse to get the 5$

But yes, you can get steam gift cards here, although not in any supermarket, just in very limited ones, a few per state i think.. except in some, as far as i know (depends on how much urban your area is)

Mostly my friends buy gift cards online or directly use cards or net banking to purchase games or refill steam wallet.

I am not worried about purchasing from steam. I am worried about directly using my card number for the purchase, which is mostly just me being paranoid. But the fact is stuff here is easily hackable and iam afraid in that sense, if iam using a random debit card, at least my real card info will not get into the wrong hands.

Basically its not steam that worries me, but losing important data through pc, wifi, isp or other stuff.

The recent update on the WAN show about NCIX server data mishaps makes me worry more.

As for the Banks, thankfully they do respond well to stolen money and transaction mishaps, and usually get you the money back. Dunno how much proactive they are though.

As far as i know, majority of cards are based on the magnetic stripes, chip system is being slowly implemented but awareness of card holders and the infrastructue for the chip system in ATMs is still not wide spread. But it is available, if you have access to it.

I have no idea about RFID. Never knew it was also implemented in Bank cards until you mentioned it.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:58 AM, Canada EH said:

That would be breaking the law, we dont help people break laws here at Linus Tech Tips. Similarly with downloading music and hackintosh. There is a reason why India has banned Privacy.com

I guess i was just frustrated about it, to put it in Linus's mock style of wording " Oh here is a an awesome service that is literally what you dreamt about, But oh no, you are from a poor developing country, you wont get this awesome service, Oh well, Sucks to be you!"

This was also me trying to know

a) is it even possible to use VPN to avail this service

b) is it illegal to bypass location restrictions in such manner, or As Linus himself says in his Techquickie Hackintosh FAP video just "heavily frowned upon"
Common sense says it shouldnt be possible, but maybe just maybe.. one can hope

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2018 at 3:02 AM, Idle_tyP0 said:

hey btw u can use paytm now on steam but yeah u wont get the free 5$