8600k High temps even at base speeds

Go to solution Solved by Firenze,

Update: Bought and installed above mentioned evo 212 cooler and peak temps during p95 are now ~75c with relatively low fan speeds.

Extremely frustrated and disappointed with the aio.

Hey,

First things first:

CPU: Intel i5 8600k

MB: Asrock Z370 Pro4

Cooler: Corsair H100i v2

PSU: Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution

Ever since I bought this computer some months back the cpu temps have been bugging me. I've tried looking for a solution by googling etc., but even though many people seem to have similar problems, I haven't found anything that works for me.

Idling my temps hover around 40C, which to me sounds a little high but still acceptable. However, testing with prime95 or intelburntest temps hit 100 almost instantly. Here's a screenshot after 5 seconds in prime95: https://imgur.com/a/U9y0LiY

I have made sure the cooler is attached tightly. I have applied new thermal paste ( Arctic silver 5 ). Fans are running fine. AIO pump is in working condition with one water pipe being a little warm.  All my settings in bios are at default values, so mostly auto.

Looking around forums people seem to be overclocking to 5.0Ghz "easily" with similar setups and here I am struggling with base speeds.

Any and all advice are welcome.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Firenze said:

Idling my temps hover around 40C, which to me sounds a little high but still acceptable. However, testing with prime95 or intelburntest temps hit 100 almost instantly. Here's a screenshot after 5 seconds in prime95: https://imgur.com/a/U9y0LiY

I have made sure the cooler is attached tightly. I have applied new thermal paste ( Arctic silver 5 ). Fans are running fine. AIO pump is in working condition with one water pipe being a little warm.  All my settings in bios are at default values, so mostly auto.

Looking around forums people seem to be overclocking to 5.0Ghz "easily" with similar setups and here I am struggling with base speeds.

Any and all advice are welcome.

Thank you.

Well you already did new thermal paste, the next thing i would check is the pump, check and see if it's plugged into a pump header if you have one, im not sure if this would change anything though

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

6 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

Well you already did new thermal paste, the next thing i would check is the pump, check and see if it's plugged into a pump header if you have one, im not sure if this would change anything though

Pump is connected to cpu fan header and according to Corsair link is running fine at ~3100 rpm.

@Firenze

stock settings overvolt the CPU really high, which is really damn stupid

when i got my 8700K on my Hyper 212 EVO it was hitting 100C under load, but when i set the voltage manually on stock, it went down to around 60C.

check your voltage under load, maybe its hitting 1.3V or something stupid like that, it should be around 1.1V

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

12 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@Firenze

stock settings overvolt the CPU really high, which is really damn stupid

when i got my 8700K on my Hyper 212 EVO it was hitting 100C under load, but when i set the voltage manually on stock, it went down to around 60C.

check your voltage under load, maybe its hitting 1.3V or something stupid like that, it should be around 1.1V

Setting voltage to 1.1V helped a a little. Instead of taking 5 seconds it took around 20 to reach 100c.

with stress tests running, and case open, slightly push down on the AIO CPU cooler, if you notice temps dropping, you're not seated well. My first thought was stock voltages are doing it as mentioned above, but if 1.1 v does that, thats pretty much saying that your AIO is not functioning properly. 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

On 12/23/2018 at 6:17 PM, reptileexperts said:

with stress tests running, and case open, slightly push down on the AIO CPU cooler, if you notice temps dropping, you're not seated well. My first thought was stock voltages are doing it as mentioned above, but if 1.1 v does that, thats pretty much saying that your AIO is not functioning properly. 

Pushing down on the cooler makes no noticeable difference. Switching the pump setting to 'quiet' causes temperatures to start rising even at idle, which would lead me to believe the aio is working and there is enough contact to have such an immediate effect?

At this point man, I'd get a cheap air cooler and put it on there to see what happens (like a 30 dollar 212 evo) and if your temps line back out, RMA the AIO. if your temps are still bad, I'd have a friend mount your chip. Could be the chip isn't "flat" on the IHS so it can never make good contact. Could be that your motherboard is faulted, reading 1.1v but delivering much more.  Time to stop looking for the obvious, and look for the worst case.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Bought and installed above mentioned evo 212 cooler and peak temps during p95 are now ~75c with relatively low fan speeds.

Extremely frustrated and disappointed with the aio.