G2A charging users account fee for not logging in for 180 days?

Bouzoo

So this is unexpected, yet not surprising. This picture was posted yesterday on Reddit from a user who got maield by G2A:

wvq3mg4yfh521.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3764bb03ae1a750b3c8dce6458b596a3466b4338

G2A also responded

G2A PAY charges an inactivity fee after someone has not logged into their G2A.COM account for 180 days. An e-mail is sent 3 days before the charge to remind the user and allow them to log in and easily avoid the fee. This fee is €1 and is taken from the user’s G2A Wallet (if there are no funds on the Wallet, PAY does not charge anything). Another €1 will be taken each month that the user stays inactive. If they log in, the timer resets itself and they have another 180 days before they are charged. If there are no funds left (or no funds to begin with) on their G2A Wallet, then the account is set to inactive. All a user needs to do to reactivate it is log back into G2A.COM. We never force the user to make a transaction or do anything with the funds. It’s just to let the system know the user is active, and the account has not been abandoned.

Why do we do this? To try and explain in as few words as we can:

It costs money to upkeep accounts (IT infrastructure, server maintenance, etc.) and if someone does not use the account, it doesn’t make sense to upkeep it. We don’t require these users to buy anything, just log in at least once every 6 months, just so that we know they are still with us. As a financial institution we are also monitored, supervised, and audited and have to back up and explain all our accounts and the funds stored on these accounts. Once an account may be considered “abandoned,” we take certain steps to make sure we are in line with all regulations, jurisdictions and laws.

This right here is some next level garbage. The most interesting part is:

It costs money to upkeep accounts

At least this is usual practice for every company since it costs money, must be why they are doing it. Obvious sarcasm. 

I am not sure how to even respond to this. Considering the big AMA fiasco (example), G2A just keeps on giving. 

What do you think?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Pretty sure that's illegal. I'll be checking I don't have an account and if I do deleting it

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

They are stealing your money, pushing their members away from their platform therefore leaving them with a bad reputation. And how does it cost money to keep an account up and running, that is absurd! For the most part, how do they know that you haven't logged into your account for a while, sounds like they are sniffing around with your data. Get your shit together G2A!!!!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c1e19ae6c416d4b55

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

30 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Pretty sure that's illegal. I'll be checking I don't have an account and if I do deleting it

Pretty much everything on G2A is illegal.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i could assume it's due to server maintenance issues & other greedy cost issues that might be behind this , but damn the alternate should be just removing the persons account , but forcibly charging them for not logging back in is a seriously low ass dick move.

But although you should know any company's clause change is inevitable against your favor  when you pressed that "Accept/Agree & continue"  button to start using their services under their terms & conditions.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

It costs money to upkeep accounts

The thing is, it doesn't cost any more to upkeep an inactive account than it does to upkeep an active account. Maintaining the infrastructure does cost some money, yes, but they're going to have to maintain it anyways, if they wish to allow people to have accounts in the first place, so that can't be blamed on the inactive accounts. Also, individual accounts take something like 50KB of space at a guess, which means storage-costs per account are, quite literally, nil.

TL:DR; it's just unadulterated bullshit.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

The thing is, it doesn't cost any more to upkeep an inactive account than it does to upkeep an active account. Maintaining the infrastructure does cost some money, yes, but they're going to have to maintain it anyways, if they wish to allow people to have accounts in the first place, so that can't be blamed on the inactive accounts. Also, individual accounts take something like 50KB of space at a guess, which means storage-costs per account are, quite literally, nil.

TL:DR; it's just unadulterated bullshit.

I am not sure if you're quoting me, but just for clearance, I said obvious sarcasm. 

Another reminder not to use this piece of ? (sorry, just discovered emojis on the forum)

And yet, people still buy from them... 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I am not sure if you're quoting me, but just for clearance, I said obvious sarcasm. 

I was technically quoting them, I just forgot to edit the quotation properly, as I'm busy doing multiple things and my concentration isn't quite there. Sorry.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 minutes ago, thexzenon said:

Another reminder not to use this piece of ? (sorry, just discovered emojis on the forum)

mlp_D.jpg.eadd05f1ede869299cfd7da9d5a26abf.jpg

1 hour ago, PC_Master said:

For the most part, how do they know that you haven't logged into your account for a while, sounds like they are sniffing around with your data.

Actually, that's the simplest thing for them to check.  Any time you log into an account anywhere, the server records that data.  They don't even have to access your account to see how long ago since you've logged in.  Anyone with administrative access can see that very easily.  I can do the same with other accounts in Windows, by checking the logs.

It costs money to upkeep accounts (IT infrastructure, server maintenance, etc.) and if someone does not use the account, it doesn’t make sense to upkeep it.

Nonsense. Taking the LTT forum as an example, each user takes up maybe 1kB in the database (ignoring posts etc). You can get an enterprise grade 1TB hard drive for maybe $150. That means each account costs 0.000015¢ in storage space. And it's not like they can fee up that space if the account is inactive.

Of course, there are other costs involved with having space for the disk, backups, power, a system capable of processing the data, etc, but they still come to fractions of cents per month.

There are probably other costs involved with being a financial institution, but €1/mo is just them trying to make money off people for nothing.

Edited by colonel_mortis

HTTP/2 203

The reason why g2a exist is because some people would rather save a buck or two, instead of paying the actual amount for the game or buy from a reputable place like Steam. They're the back alley of the digital gaming market.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The reason why g2a exist is because some people would rather save a buck or two, instead of paying the actual amount for the game or buy from a reputable place like Steam.

Can save a helluva lot more than a "buck or 2".

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I only have 0.59$ in my account from selling a key I didn't have any use for and it cost 3,12$ in fees to transfer it. Yeah not worth it.

Can't even buy anything either, I'm literally 1¢ under to buy anything due to their fees.

Honestly, this kind of shit is why I never link any credit card or my paypal account, to anything in a permanent way. I'd rather have to re-enter my info when buying something, than for them to just randomly charge me for shit. (I know they are taking it from your wallet, but still scummy)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

-snip-

I do find this odd tho. Checked my email and the last time i bought something from them was Sept 5 last year.

Received no other emails about inactive accounts etc. Even checked to reset password for my email to check and yup, i have an account. Guess ill check my bank statements.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I do find this odd tho. Checked my email and the last time i bought something from them was Sept 5 last year.

Received no other emails about inactive accounts etc. Even checked to reset password for my email to check and yup, i have an account. Guess ill check my bank statements.

I haven't used it for years and no problem, but I've seen multiple people on Reddit get it. 

Do you have any remaining balance on your G2A wallet? If not, you're not paying anything. 

It would be like Steam taking money out of your steam wallet, they won't be taking it from your bank account.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Can save a helluva lot more than a "buck or 2".

It's a figure of speech.

So is steam, can save a hell lot when you buy games during their sales period.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Do you have any remaining balance on your G2A wallet? If not, you're not paying anything. 

It would be like Steam taking money out of your steam wallet, they won't be taking it from your bank account.

Ah right, i figured the bank details would somehow get used to charge the money instead of just using the wallet. Guess im safe.

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's a figure of speech.

So is steam, can save a hell lot when you buy games during their sales period.

Yeah steam has big event sales. But i've seen G2A with consistently lower prices throughout the year, and bought things from them because of it.

Ah right, i figured the bank details would somehow get used to charge the money instead of just using the wallet. Guess im safe.

Without your consent, if G2A would charge you directly from bank, no matter which country you live in, that would be illegal.