New Watercooling Rig

Hello all,

I just finished my new pc and need some feedback. The loop is ridiculously hard to get going, and seeing as this is my first go ever at this I used barrow Chinese fittings/tubing/etc. (which were surprisingly good) and now have invested in a fresh set that ill be using permanently (i know i would mar the finish of the compression collars for example) . My question now is how to improve the loop, may I have some help (via mspaint etc.) on fixes i can make to the existing loop moving forward. Things like flipping radiator orientations, different fill and drain port locations etc would be great! Dont be afraid to suggest new fittings, as I have stuff coming in like exhaust valves and the like. Exciting stuff. If better angles are needed let me know.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Seems fine as it is. The only thing I’m starting to do now is implement at least 2 drain valves. 

Like where yours is, I have one there and on the other side of the rad. Which in your case would get the res and the other half of the rad emptied. I try to avoid tilting my rigs around if I can avoid it now. And it would cost quite a bit to get all cross flow rads to help avoid that. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

23 hours ago, mattrflores said:

Hello all,

I just finished my new pc and need some feedback. The loop is ridiculously hard to get going, and seeing as this is my first go ever at this I used barrow Chinese fittings/tubing/etc. (which were surprisingly good) and now have invested in a fresh set that ill be using permanently (i know i would mar the finish of the compression collars for example) . My question now is how to improve the loop, may I have some help (via mspaint etc.) on fixes i can make to the existing loop moving forward. Things like flipping radiator orientations, different fill and drain port locations etc would be great! Dont be afraid to suggest new fittings, as I have stuff coming in like exhaust valves and the like. Exciting stuff. If better angles are needed let me know.

I assume the difficult in getting it going was because theres a radiator between the pump and reservoir, but since you got it going in the end, I suppose its fine.

Functionally, apart from that, everything looks good to me. Aesthetically, the loops is a simply "O" shape loop, and if you like that fine, but you could also consider taking "unnecessary bends" to have more tubing showing off. Theres a big hole in the middle of your chassis with no watercooling components ;) I would fill it with bends, since you have hardline.

Untitled.thumb.png.03ec730f22f6d05738228f41981189a9.png

Ill tell ya, it feels good to hear positive feedback on the work ive done. I have some fancy bends i wanted to try once i knew my proper gameplan, will this be a good loop moving forward? Ive shown the location for the drain which ill use my 90 degree swivel for, and need help for where to place a manual exhaust vent. also attached are all the fittings i have available to work with, minus four chrome push fittings which are available.

IMG_0839 v.2.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Forgot to mention, the radiator has a port up on top, is that usable to connect the res to the rad or do i need to connect to the lower port with a long piece of tube. also, i am toying with the idea of turning the pump to have a simple straight shot to the rad port closest to the glass

On 12/23/2018 at 1:07 AM, mattrflores said:

Ill tell ya, it feels good to hear positive feedback on the work ive done. I have some fancy bends i wanted to try once i knew my proper gameplan, will this be a good loop moving forward? Ive shown the location for the drain which ill use my 90 degree swivel for, and need help for where to place a manual exhaust vent. also attached are all the fittings i have available to work with, minus four chrome push fittings which are available.

I assume since your radiator is a U-flow radiator, you cannot use the top port as an inlet, I would keep it simple and use the two bottom ports. (Probably possible to turn it into a split-X-flow radiator, but I wouldnt do it).

Are you intentionally using your reservoir upside down? I would use the two bottom (currently top) as inlet and outlet and then leave the top free so that you can just screw it off to fill the loop. That way you can mount it lower down which will look cleaner in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

my res is upside down, and a drain port was drilled through the top of the case that i use the fill the loop, i can flip the res yes though if there is reason to do so. Would you be willing to explain what you had in mind by drawing lines?