Will a GTX 760 drive a 144 Hz monitor for programs like word and chrome?

corrado33

Building my sister a computer for christmas. Want to get her a 144 Hz monitor, but I'm unsure if the 760 I have for her will be able to drive it. Not for gaming mind you, just for like desktop work. It doesn't even have to be 144 Hz, 100 Hz will be fine. (That's when I really start to notice the "smoothness" of the higher framerates.)

If the 760 can't do it, will a 780 do it?

If it's just for a basic output then I guess it'll handle it just fine. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I don't understand why you would want a 144hz for word and chrome? But yes it should.

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Want to get her a 144 Hz monitor

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Not for gaming

wait

what?

geta normal monitor...

unless you're doing some money laundering in that case get the most expensive one and we don't know each other ??‍♂️

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

17 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

I don't understand why you would want a 144hz for word and chrome? But yes it should.

11 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

wait

what?

geta normal monitor...

unless you're doing some money laundering in that case get the most expensive one and we don't know each other ??‍♂️

I personally enjoy the faster refresh rates available now, and my sister and her husband aren't doing super well ( I mean... they are... they're just "house poor," they bought a house too expensive for them and now they rarely have money to buy things they want.) , and I told them I'd build them a nice computer and I want it to "feel" like the best computer they've ever used. It will certainly BE the best computer they've ever used, but on the programs that they use it's hard to tell. It'll all "feel" the same as their laptop. With a higher refresh rate monitor they'll immediately feel that it's faster and I think that'll be nice. I thought about a 75 Hz monitor but I didn't feel much of a difference at 75 Hz compared to 60 Hz on my monitor. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I personally enjoy the faster refresh rates available now, and my sister and her husband aren't doing super well, and I told them I'd build them a nice computer and I want it to "feel" like the best computer they've ever used. It will certainly BE the best computer they've ever used, but on the programs that they use it's hard to tell. It'll all "feel" the same as their laptop. With a higher refresh rate monitor they'll immediately feel that it's faster and I think that'll be nice. I thought about a 75 Hz monitor but I didn't feel much of a difference at 75 Hz compared to 60 Hz on my monitor. 

Get a 75hz and overclock it then

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Get a 75hz and overclock it then

Honestly for the price difference I don't care. a decent 75 Hz is what? $120? $130? An "ok" 144 Hz panel is $170. Not a huge difference in my mind. 

I do not understand how you think it will be any better with 144 over 60 for a non gaming machine? Are you planning on moving windows on the screen super fast or something?

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

I do not understand how you think it will be any better with 144 over 60 for a non gaming machine? Are you planning on moving windows on the screen super fast or something?

I notice a difference between 60 Hz and 100 Hz every day, even with mouse movements. It'll make the computer feel better. They may game on it eventually, once they replace the GPU. 

Besides, I already bought the monitor.

2 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I notice a difference between 60 Hz and 100 Hz every day, even with mouse movements. It'll make the computer feel better. They may game on it eventually, once they replace the GPU. 

Besides, I already bought the monitor.

Don't listen the the plebs. 144Hz is life.

Agreed, 120 minimum. Even for daily use. Leave the low stuff for people who either don’t care and can’t tell. 

The card will do it just fine. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 hours ago, geo3 said:

Don't listen the the plebs. 144Hz is life.

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Agreed, 120 minimum. Even for daily use. Leave the low stuff for people who either don’t care and can’t tell. 

The card will do it just fine. 

3 hours ago, campy said:

A GT 710 can push a 144hz monitor for normal tasks fine.

760 will be fine 

Thanks guys. I'm actually not a huge "pusher" of super high refresh rates or high resolutions (I game at 1080p 75 Hz), but this computer isn't for me. It's for someone else who I want to think this computer is the best thing ever. And if that means spending an extra 50 bucks on a 144 Hz display, then so be it. 

10 hours ago, corrado33 said:

They may game on it eventually, once they replace the GPU. 

Up until 6 months ago I was gaming on a 560. The 760 is still a decent enough card to run things like Fallout 4, CS:GO and GTA 5, all be it not at super high detail levels. (Yes I know those are old games now, but they are still fun games to play). Just an FYI.