iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru
1 hour ago, Commodus said:

If history is an indicator, Apple will quietly fix things either in mid-production or with the next refresh.  Apple's classic MO is to avoid formally acknowledging quality issues until it has a solution in place -- people think it's burying its head in the sand when it really just wants a better answer than "we're looking into it."

IMO, I don't think it works out as well as they probably might have thought. 

I feel that saying the bending is "normal" due to manufacturing is certainly something that anyone who has received a bent iPad is not expecting at the slightest. 

Apple could (and should) have done better. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

34 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So "everything is perfect, not our problem" is a better answer?

Apple is essentially playing this off and down the road when someone comes in for real issues because bending they will just say its the users fault. 

This fucks over customers badly. 

No, I'm just explaining Apple's thinking, and noting that the company rarely ignores problems outright like some think it does.  I wish it was more transparent, but I also know it tends to take action.

People act very passionately about things that are expensive and are obviously defected from the factory. I bought a brand new Camaro in 2017 and it had issues with the limited slip differential 700 miles in. The car would make horrendous groaning noises when turning left or right at any speed. Chevy and the dealerships did everything in their power to not have to do any work/replace any components even though I was under factory warranty and had even purchased the advanced extended warranties. Only until I drove up to the dealership in a fury and drained the differential fluid right in front of them and showed them the metal shavings in the fluid did they do any of the work. After the work was done I sold the car and will never buy another Chevy in my life.

Customer Service is extremely important to the customer when the products they receive are broken. My father purchased my mother the iPhone X and one of the scanners did not work properly. Apple wanted to charge my father 50 dollars to send the phone back so he could get a new one... Apples bullshit knows no bounds, and that is why they are so highly criticized. If the company makes a mistake and they fix it the first time, odds are most people are willing to shrug it off and are happy.

This is just apple trying to make more money. They make a new tablet that is fragile enough that it can easily be broken requiring the user to buy a new one at full price. Sure a few get bent in shipping and they have to replace them in the first 14 days, but after that it is all profit.

This is why I don't buy apple products. I am 100% confident that if they were ever put under a lot of scrutiny plenty of shady and/or illegal dealing would come up. Some of the things they have done in the past, plus ways they try to monopolize things as simple as being able to repair your own device.

24 minutes ago, ThePD said:

My father purchased my mother the iPhone X and the fingerprint scanner did not work properly. 

Uh.....the iPhone X does not have a fingerprint sensor. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Major question here: Why the fuck do some people care about companies so much?

They're COMPANIES. They don't care about you, just your money. Get it through your head! What do you have to gain by defending issues such as this? "Touch IC disease was meh"........ My head hurts. I grew out of that mentality at like 14, and I'm not exactly the sharpest crayon in the mailbox.

Microsoft doesn't care about you. Apple doesn't care about you. AMD doesn't care about you. Why should you care about them? You pay, you get what you paid for, you don't owe them shit.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Uh.....the iPhone X does not have a fingerprint sensor. 

You are correct, it was one of the scanners for like voice or face recognition. I didn't care enough about the discussion to remember what exact one it was. Edited original comment to be more generic since I don't remember which one it was.

12 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Why complain about us, when we are giving you the correct information? ?

Because he doesn't like the information.  That's why he tried to bring google into it, talk down the competition as if that will change the issues. 

The problem with this is that there are times when pointing to the competition is legitimate, like if you are correcting someone who is trying to argue a practice is the sole domain of one company.  You can say no it's not because this this this and this.    The other time it is o.k is when you are trying to illustrate an industry wide condition that has other compounding issues that should be considered. 

Doing it to deflect from the issue or excuse a shit practice is not a legitimate argument though, and that is why this thread has gone on 8 pages longer than it needed to. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Major question here: Why the fuck do some people care about companies so much?

They're COMPANIES. They don't care about you, just your money. Get it through your head! What do you have to gain by defending issues such as this? "Touch IC disease was meh"........ My head hurts. I grew out of that mentality at like 14, and I'm not exactly the sharpest crayon in the mailbox.

Microsoft doesn't care about you. Apple doesn't care about you. AMD doesn't care about you. Why should you care about them? You pay, you get what you paid for, you don't owe them shit.

Because they purchased a product?

"Why do you care about supermarkets... it's not like you need to eat or anything..." XD

15 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

"Why do you care about supermarkets... it's not like you need to eat or anything..." XD

Hmm, what if supermarkets were treated like Apple, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Intel, Nvidia and AMD ?.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hmm, what if supermarkets were treated like Apple, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Intel, Nvidia and AMD ?.

I often have debates about the value of supermarkets in the economy. But I hate/love all corporations and business equally.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

They are? If there is a problem, they get a recall. People complain about sizes/scams etc... I'm not sure your point?

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

They are? If there is a problem, they get a recall. People complain about sizes/scams etc... I'm not sure your point?

I was kinda thinking more about us in terms of supporting/liking a company in much the same way as those companies I mentioned or their products, though I guess Whole Foods is the Apple/iPhone of supermarkets so it is a thing?

Edit:

P.S. It was a bad joke, my favorite kind.

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

The real issue is when loyalty turns into some kind of company worship. To put it bluntly, it's sort of like treating a company as some sort of cult or similar entity. 

And with the age of the internet and anonymity, the act of fanboyism is pretty much regarded as normal at this point. Any company has its fanboys, and those people will argue all day over why their company rocks either to people who respectfully disagree or more commonly, to fanboys of another company. 

It's toxic behavior, but it's also considered to be rather normal on the internet. 

It's totally fine to like a company and/or its products and if you have to debate, do it against things that matter such as factual misinformation. But don't let it get overboard to the point where even the slightest criticism gets to you. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I was kinda thinking more about us in terms of supporting/liking a company in much the same way as those companies I mentioned or their products, though I guess Whole Foods is the Apple/iPhone of supermarkets so it is a thing?

Edit:

P.S. It was a bad joke, my favorite kind.

Yeah... But it still sticks... :)

Locally here, I know some brands have constantly got rotten food or forget to add/take off special deals, so I pay too much. I don't "like" them, but it's not because it's a brand... it's because I know what the brand will or will not do!

(Another brand might be cheaper or more expensive, but food will be fresh, or special deals will be on when they say they are).

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

So because I bought food from Walmart, I should defend their every move? Because I use Windows, I should be their white knight and defend their name on the internet to the bloody end? "Oh, Apples made yet another fuckup, BUT I LOVE THEM SO WHO CARES!!!!"

They're companies. You pay, you get what you paid for, move on. They don't care about you, you don't owe them shit. I really hope you just misunderstood my post, because blind loyalty is ridiculously stupid and your analogy is painful.

Edit/addition:

Obviously it's okay to like a company that you've had good experiences with, just stay objective. It's also obviously okay to be happy about a companies performance, like in AMD's case. Their return brings competition and lower prices which is good for us, so being happy about that is fine. I'm not saying liking a company in any way is stupid, just that being blindly loyal and constantly going out of your way to defend them is.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

So because I bought food from Walmart, I should defend their every move? Because I use Windows, I should be their white knight and defend their name on the internet to the bloody end? "Oh, Apples made yet another fuckup, BUT I LOVE THEM SO WHO CARES!!!!"

They're companies. You pay, you get what you paid for, move on. They don't care about you, you don't owe them shit. I really hope you just misunderstood my post, because blind loyalty is ridiculously stupid and your analogy is painful.

Edit/addition:

Obviously it's okay to like a company that you've had good experiences with, just stay objective. It's also obviously okay to be happy about a companies performance, like in AMD's case. Their return brings competition and lower prices which is good for us, so being happy about that is fine. I'm not saying liking a company in any way is stupid, just that being blindly loyal and constantly going out of your way to defend them is.

Yeah. I totally said "defend" and not "complain about poor products". Yep. I totally did not give an example of me complaining about poor products, and choosing companies I know make great ones.

Yep. No reading comprehension fail there. (My post was in agreement with complaining about poor products, but at times preferring some companies if they have *consistent* quality) XD

That's the problem here, and with most people. They go to extremes, and often don't comprehend anything. They assume anyone making a decision is doing it excessively and without data... while making a decision themselves excessively and without data. ?

On 12/20/2018 at 3:46 AM, Streetguru said:

Apple does not consider it to be a defect.

With a company and customer base so focused on aesthetics as apple, I'm surprised the fanboys aren't absolutely outraged by this slight.  $200 walmart tablets don't come out of the box bent.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

17 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

With a company and customer base so focused on aesthetics as apple, I'm surprised the fanboys aren't absolutely outraged by this slight.  $200 walmart tablets don't come out of the box bent.

I'm literally tackling this right now with a 3D printer and warming/cooling of the plastic prints. As they print in layers, and the plastic cools, it can shrink at different speeds. For small amounts, nothing happens, but long parts or long prints, and each bit shrinks at a different speed. So instead of getting imperceivable sub micro millimeter shrinking, you get a banana/bow/boomerang. I can fix this (and have done just now) by increasing the heat, so it takes longer to cool. There are other things to do to help too...

So I'd not consider it "normal" on something that took me 15 mins to design, 20 to print, and 20p of materials... why should customers paying £/$1000?

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Yeah. I totally said "defend" and not "complain about poor products". Yep. I totally did not give an example of me complaining about poor products, and choosing companies I know make great ones.

Yep. No reading comprehension fail there. (My post was in agreement with complaining about poor products, but at times preferring some companies if they have *consistent* quality) XD

Did see any of that, all I saw was:

Which I took as you implying you should care about companies because you bought something from them.

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Did see any of that, all I saw was:

Which I took as you implying you should care about companies because you bought something from them.

Yes. You should "care". I said should "care", not "should be a rabid fanboy". :P

There is a difference.

12 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yes. You should "care". I said should "care", not "should be a rabid fanboy". :P

There is a difference.

Then why are you even bothering to reply to me? It's perfectly clear that I was talking about rabid fanboys in my first post, not people who "just care". My main point is to stay objective. Some people just like conflict I guess...

8 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Then why are you even bothering to reply to me? It's perfectly clear that I was talking about rabid fanboys in my first post, not people who "just care". Some people just like conflict I guess...

Yep. But my point is (more so in America than where I am, and less so with luxuries like the iPad), that some people don't have much of a choice, so will complain more or be stuck with a company. No excuse for defending them, but more a reason they are sometimes stuck with them.

Then Stockholm syndrome sticks in (see defense of Linux, Windows and MacOS due to being stuck with the OS/software).

14 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yep. But my point is (more so in America than where I am, and less so with luxuries like the iPad), that some people don't have much of a choice, so will complain more or be stuck with a company. No excuse for defending them, but more a reason they are sometimes stuck with them.

Then Stockholm syndrome sticks in (see defense of Linux, Windows and MacOS due to being stuck with the OS/software).

I can understand that reasoning a little, but I mean, I'm completely trapped in Windows hell. I can't get away from it, doesn't mean I'm gonna defend every single move Microsoft makes (like a certain moderator on this forum).

I used to be a white knight fanboy for Micro$oft and Nintendo, but again, I was a stupid 14 year old, I grew out of it. It pains me to see someone go out of their way to obsess over a company, wasting countless hours defending them and limiting themselves to purchasing from that one company. (I say that as I cringe remembering the countless hours I spent fighting the "console war" in the Youtube comments section as a kid, fighting for the fucking Wii. Oh god, the horror, the horror.)

Honestly, I guess I'm just venting. People do the same stuff in many different areas of life, example, politics. Sigh, oh well, can't change human nature I guess.

Yeah. I never said you would. It just shows where these people are coming from. I don't agree with them, but I understand why some are that way. Understanding them may help get them in the right direction. (A lot of people say one thing, but mean another, so I try to ask what they mean. See the above "microfractures" discussion, where the poster said one thing, but it had nothing to do with actual reality)

It's sometimes like powertools, people say "gah, this is stupid, it should not work that way", and it is because they don't know how to use it.

Here though, this is an obvious fault. Not the users fault, and NOT acceptable as a device/sale/for the consumer.