iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru
39 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That's the thing, they aren't acknowledging it as an issue and offering warranty coverage or probably returns? for it. 

That's Apple's MO though, it's rare for them to admit they're at fault.

7 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

they are. devices are not designed to be able to survive people actively trying to break them in half

and here we are, with a tablet curved even before taking it out of it's box

>

7 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple admits mistake and makes a recall program

>

7 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Suddenly you'll have so many people purposely bending it to get a new one

do u even know how a recall works?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and here we are, with a tablet curved even before taking it out of it's box

if you quoted my entire argument here, i said that this is "completely different". bend tests still remain irrelevant for me. devices are not built to survive people actively breaking them in half. regular use is a different story. 

i never defended what Apple is doing here, and i never will. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

i know you're the resident apple fan and defender. so instead i'll ask you directly for my own sanity because i don't think you're irrational;

Do YOU think it's fine for them to ship bent iPads worth $800 - $1800 and say it's not a problem?

Ignore the 14 day return policy because that's irrelevant.

It's even worse if a person is spending upwards of $800 on a tablet and the excuse is ''no big deal just return it''.  So you have to waste time sending it back and possibly end up with an exchanged tablet that could also be bent out of the box.

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

No, you really can't. Some asshole on the internet bending an iPad means absolutely nothing without some data supporting the amount of force required. 

It doesn't matter because there would still be people defending apple saying it is unrealistic and everyone should just treat their device more carefully.

49 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, they shouldn’t and Apple shouldn’t have downplayed it, but they did and I can’t change that. I can only remind everyone else that the consumer isn’t getting totally shafted here. 

Personally I don’t believe that just because something costs a lot, it should be perfect. Imo that is irrational. But if Apple can make it right in the end with a refund or a replacement, I see that as good customer service reguraldess of the initial mistake. 

If they don't recognize it as a defect than they won't QC for it. I don't know about you but I think any normal company should simply not let bent products through QC. It's actually insane that they can mess up the manufacturing process of a device and instead of shutting down manufacturing to fix the issue or simply QC the defective devices they end up sell the defective devices saying that there is nothing wrong with them. My friend who is a QC engineer laughed at how outrageous this is and the fact that they have such a brainwashed fan base they can get away with it. I'm sorry but this is absolutely unforgivable from any company. 

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if you quoted my entire argument here, i said that this is "completely different". bend tests still remain irrelevant for me. devices are not built to survive people actively breaking them in half. regular use is a different story. 

i never defended what Apple is doing here, and i never will. 

bend test showed it split in half like a cracker with practically no effort

Now we get them curving out of the factory

Jerry showed the design flaw, explained why it happened and why it was structurally bad.

Keep the blind fold on as much as you want, won't change the iPads overall bad design 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

My friend who is a QC engineer laughed at how outrageous this is and the fact that they have such a brainwashed fan base they can get away with it. I'm sorry but this is absolutely unforgivable from any company. 

Your friend should send his resume into Apple

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Your friend should send his resume into Apple

Well he hates apple and he has always wanted to work in the biomedical industry so I don't think he will be changing any time soon. 

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It doesn't matter because there would still be people saying it is unrealistic and everyone should just treat their device more carefully.

Everyone has a different idea of how durable a device should be -- so yes, but it would also make a bend test actually mean something.

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Jerry showed the design flaw, explained why it happened and why it was structurally bad.

Keep the blind fold on as much as you want, won't change the iPads overall bad design 

'practically no effort' 

Care to define what that actually means? Is that equivalent to the force that the device would exert on itself if you held it from one corner? Is it the force of that the device would exert on itself when flapping the device around from one corner? Is it the force exerted on the device by someone who weights a couple hundred pounds sitting on it? 

Bend tests are worthless without some absolute measurement. Saying he could bend it with minimal effort is meaningless if that minimal effort is actually a decent amount of force or if that minimal force was applied in a non-realistic distribution. 

Again, as @firelighter487 mentioned, that doesn't excuse the problem. It is just refuting the validity of a bend test as evidence of anything meaningful. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

BEND TESTS ARE NOT REALISTIC OF REAL WORLD USE!!!

if i tried hard enough i could probably break my graphics card in half. does that mean it has a fatal design flaw? no!

She/Her

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Everyone has a different idea of how durable a device should be -- so yes, but it would also make a bend test actually mean something.

'practically no effort' 

Care to define what that actually means? Is that equivalent to the force that the device would exert on itself if you held it from one corner? Is it the force of that the device would exert on itself when flapping the device around from one corner? Is it the force exerted on the device by someone who weights a couple hundred pounds sitting on it? 

Bend tests are worthless without some absolute measurement. Saying he could bend it with minimal effort is meaningless if that minimal effort is actually a decent amount of force or if that minimal force was applied in a non-realistic distribution. 

Again, as @firelighter487 mentioned, that doesn't excuse the problem. It is just refuting the validity of a bend test as evidence of anything meaningful. 

The most you can really gather from that test is that someone can bend the device with their hands. You can probably figure about the maximum reasonable force one could exert with their hands but yeah that isn't a 3 point bend test or any other type of bend test on does to determine the strength of a material. 

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if i tried hard enough i could probably break my graphics card in half. does that mean it has a fatal design flaw? no!

Proper bend tests are used in QC so they do have some value when done correctly. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Proper bend tests are used in QC so they do have some value when done correctly. 

yes but holding it in your hands and just trying to bend it in half is different from those. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

Did you defend apple on the iphone 6 bending too? A graphics card is made to sit in your computer, a mobile device like a phone or tablet is completely realistic to be subjected to bend testing because the average user aren't as careful as most tech enthusiasts are.

ya'll dumb that's the new curved iPad

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Did you defend apple on the iphone 6 bending too?

no. 

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A graphics card is made to sit in your computer, a mobile device like a phone or tablet is completely realistic to be subjected to bend testing because the average user aren't as careful as most tech enthusiasts are.

if you buy a $800+ device and then throw it around like a complete idiot, it's not Apple's fault if it breaks. if i subject my iPhone to a throw across my room i'm not gonna complain if the screen is cracked. 

She/Her

22 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

sure, now show me the out of factory bent gpu

the bend test showed the flaw, and now we are getting the results from said flaw.

28 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Care to define what that actually means?

sure: when it takes less than a split second, doesn't even warp before instantly snapping and won't even give your thumbs the time to feel the pressure 

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Samsung- look we have curved screens!

Apple- hold my ipad. *bends*

FTFY

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

15 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

You can't expect the world's richest consumer electronics company to actually design their products well guys, stop being so unfair to Apple

In all fairness it's not the first time and they've had nearly 0 real consequences over most of it anyway. You'll always see people telling you Apple exudes quality with not laptop without a significant flaw in more than 5 years in a row.

I was watching a video earlier about how to manage an esports team. The manager said: if there is no accountability it just can't work and everyone will eventually slack off.

That applies well here as usual.

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I'm pretty sure Apple said this so they can avoid people from purposely bending it to get a new one

Are you fucking high? That makes absolutely zero sense. Do you really think there are people out there who are buying ~$1000 tablets just to go "hurr durr let me bend it myself so I can just wait and be out the money & the product during the couple of weeks turn around time to RMA this one and get a replacement"???

You're really reaching around for Apple here bro...like I get that you must really be used to jerking this company off but give it a rest dude.

28 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Are you fucking high? That makes absolutely zero sense. Do you really think there are people out there who are buying ~$1000 tablets just to go "hurr durr let me bend it myself so I can just wait and be out the money & the product during the couple of weeks turn around time to RMA this one and get a replacement"???

You're really reaching around for Apple here bro...like I get that you must really be used to jerking this company off but give it a rest dude.

I'd bet money that more than a couple someones would be stupid enough to do exactly that (although that 'weeks rma time' could very easily be just the time it takes to get to an Apple store) -- for the Lols, to see if it really bends, to just be a dumbass (see teenagers eating tide pods), etc... Not that that would be a realistic reason for Apple calling it normal.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

yes but holding it in your hands and just trying to bend it in half is different from those. 

Yes, certain bend test are stupid as hell. But...

1. Look at tech repair channels like Louis and a lot of times issues crop up because a device can flex so easily that when its in your pocket its bending back and forth ever so slightly then a few months to a year later the solder points break. This has been proven. The worry is not in the OMG my phone bent in my pocket (yet many girls keep and sit on it in their back pocket) but over time this is going to fuck over the phone. This was then taken in account and many phones now have free space to allow the frame to flex without damaging the componets.

2. Tablets bend test are 100% realistic. People have them in bags and back packs. Say you put the 12" pro in your back pack and there is a book around half its size and sit down on train, you are now putting stress on that device. A normal device designed well could handle a fair but but this problem is that the pro bends sooooooo easily. One fuckup and its bent. 

These wont be problems for some people but seeing how the ipad pro is being marketed as a PROFESSIONAL device, many of these owners will keep these in bags of some sort. 

When Jerry did his video on the ipad he clearly mentioned that this is a concern for your backpack or suitcase. Nothing else. This is the first "bend gate" that actually makes fucking sense.  

3 hours ago, laminutederire said:

In all fairness it's not the first time and they've had nearly 0 real consequences over most of it anyway. You'll always see people telling you Apple exudes quality with not laptop without a significant flaw in more than 5 years in a row.

I was watching a video earlier about how to manage an esports team. The manager said: if there is no accountability it just can't work and everyone will eventually slack off.

That applies well here as usual.

That’s what boggles my mind! Apple is scrutinized for everything! And yet they still make dumb mistakes. Like this new iPad that’s bent out of the box. How in this world does this happen!? 

If this iPad was 1~2mm thicker and didn’t bend so easily then nobody would have said anything. It would have cost Apple just a few dollars more to manufacture the latest iPad. But Apple chooses to cheap out and make horrible decisions instead because people still buy their products no matter what. Maybe iOS is so good that people are willing to put up with anything. That’s the only reasonable explanation...

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

I'd bet money that more than a couple someones would be stupid enough to do exactly that (although that 'weeks rma time' could very easily be just the time it takes to get to an Apple store) -- for the Lols, to see if it really bends, to just be a dumbass (see teenagers eating tide pods), etc... Not that that would be a realistic reason for Apple calling it normal.

And I'm pretty sure these cases get rejected unless they have AppleCare+ (and even that is a stretch) as such damage is not covered by the device's standard warranty

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1