Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Streetguru

iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Still remembering how some fanatics in this forum were going at jerry's throat because bend tests were unrealistic and are not representative of a device structural integrity.

Welp, I guess this case is also normal for them.

It naturally curves for a better grip.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

very slight bend

Slight bend my ass

image.png.0e58d18e11f341b9a94e2faa30799fb6.png

1 1/2 degrees might not sound like a lot, but considering the length it is. It's also one thing to bend when being intentianally bent but to be mangled in manufacturing and not call it a defect?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

It's 2018, stop fat shaming tablets and let them be thicc... 

Seriously tho, IMO the 1st Gen iPad Pro form factor was perfect, I like having bezels so I can actually hold the device without accidentally grabbing the screen, and it was plenty thin while still being reasonably durable (about as durable as you can ask for a 12.9" slab of thin glass and aluminum to be). Felt great in the hand, never wished it was thinner or smaller. Really don't understand the tech industry's obsession with going thinner than thinner, Apple's done the same with the new MacBook Pros and they've had overheating issues and keyboard problems and all sorts of crap. 

If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
i7 8700K

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

Current Project PC

Spoiler

CPU: 2x Xeon X5675

CPU Cooler: Dual Cooler Master V6 GTs
Motherboard: EVGA SR-2
Memory: IDK yet

Storage: will figure something out

GPU: hopefully a Radeon VII
Case: Don't have one that supports HPTX yet
PSU: EVGA 1600W T2, CableMod Pro Carbon cables

Other project PC:

Spoiler

CPU: X56xx Xeon of some sort 

CPU Cooler: NH-D15S for now
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 

Storage: 
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: 
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

5 hours ago, Streetguru said:

shouldn’t worsen over time or negatively affect the flagship iPad’s performance in any practical way. Apple does not consider it to be a defect.

Neither do scratches on the back, does that mean you can get your device scratched and they won't replace it?

This logic is astounding from a company that puts such emphasis on how their products look.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Still remembering how some fanatics in this forum were going at jerry's throat because bend tests were unrealistic and are not representative of a device structural integrity.

It naturally curves for a better grip.

It's like the speed holes to make the car go faster:

-------

Current Rig

-------

they actually said it's "normal"

LOL

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

5 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

People pay extra for curved displays normally :)

Yes, but usually it's written on the box and it's not luck of the draw. Also, curved screens make some sense when they're very large, not 12".

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It's 2018, stop fat shaming tablets and let them be thicc... 

Seriously tho, IMO the 1st Gen iPad Pro form factor was perfect, I like having bezels so I can actually hold the device without accidentally grabbing the screen, and it was plenty thin while still being reasonably durable (about as durable as you can ask for a 12.9" slab of thin glass and aluminum to be). Felt great in the hand, never wished it was thinner or smaller. Really don't understand the tech industry's obsession with going thinner than thinner, Apple's done the same with the new MacBook Pros and they've had overheating issues and keyboard problems and all sorts of crap. 

It's not really a thickness issue -- the previous Pro was about the same thickness (6.1 vs 5.9mm). BUT the old one had a rounded back which likely added quite a bit of structural integrity -- integrity that is lost by the straight sides. I personally prefer the styling of the new Pro (and am all for smaller bezels and lighter designs) and wish that Apple would also go back in that direction with the iPhone (the 5s was by far my favorite aesthetically). 

The problem is that it needed a bit more internal strengthening as this appears to actually be a problem affecting new, still in box, units.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

33 replies, and it's not the good doctor.

On the endless quest
So far into the west
Where history and destiny collide

Your luck will last forever and
The truth will never die
The fates shall be eternal on your side
Prepare to roll the dice just one more time

With the stars in the sky our guide
Voyage ever onwards
Set a course to the other side
Of the endless oceans blue

Treasure Island
Oh, the legends told of a land of rum and plunder
Treasure Island
On a quest for gold we'll sail the seven seas

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

There is a 14-day no question return period. If it's bent just return it and buy a new one

Is it bad? yes. But stop jumping into conclusions

I'm pretty sure Apple said this so they can avoid people from purposely bending it to get a new one

No need to when it's bent out of the box.

Apple does this bs damage control instead of admitting a device is flawed and their fault. The return period doesn't matter and is a terrible excuse, a $800 device shouldn't be damaged out of the box lol.

11 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Is it bad? yes

Oh?!

so now it's bad?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No need to when it's bent out of the box.

Apple does this bs damage control instead of admitting a device is flawed and their fault. The return period doesn't matter, a $800 device shouldn't be damaged out of the box lol.

What are you trying to say? There is a solution to it. Apple is providing a way to return. They just wont accept it if you try to return it after two weeks of purchase which 99% would mean that the user bent it. But that scenario of someone accidently bending a tablet seems unlikely (but as demonstrated by Zack it should be made internally stronger to provide a safe zone)

Now two things could have occured, Apple admits mistake and makes a recall program. Suddenly you'll have so many people purposely bending it to get a new one. Two Apple can brush it off, so they'll avoid the first problem completely and those 2 people who accidently bent it would suffer. So I'm pretty sure a for-profit corporation chose to sacrifice 2 customers rather than losing million and million of dollars replacing the iPads. 

So yeah the option is no brainer and don't expect Apple to be some kind of saint and do things that no companies wouldn't. And as always Apple news always gets blown out of proportion, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's like only 5 people who got bent iPads, out of the tens and million they shipped

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they actually said it's "normal"

LOL

You're holding the iPad wrong

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

29 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It's not really a thickness issue -- the previous Pro was about the same thickness (6.1 vs 5.9mm). BUT the old one had a rounded back which likely added quite a bit of structural integrity -- integrity that is lost by the straight sides. I personally prefer the styling of the new Pro (and am all for smaller bezels and lighter designs) and wish that Apple would also go back in that direction with the iPhone (the 5s was by far my favorite aesthetically). 

The problem is that it needed a bit more internal strengthening as this appears to actually be a problem affecting new, still in box, units.

they could of done what they did with the 6S after the whole iphone 6 bendgate disaster... using a better grade of aluminum and adding some support "struts" basically that run the length of the chassis to provide some rigidity.

But I guess it got overlooked.

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

52 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

they are. devices are not designed to be able to survive people actively trying to break them in half. 

53 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

no, it's not. this is completely different. 

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

PC: 2X XEON X5650 | GTX 690 | 2X 240GB SSD | 24GB RAM Windows 10

MacBook: I5 3210M HD4000 | 1 TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS Mojave / Windows 10

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

they are. devices are not designed to be able to survive people actively trying to break them in half. 

no, it's not. this is completely different. 

A mobile device should be able to withstand some abuse, the previous iPad pro was much stronger too so there is clearly something wrong with the design on these since it can be bent so easily.  And the Surface pro Jerry compared still functioned after the same test method.

32 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A mobile device should be able to withstand some abuse, the previous iPad pro was much stronger too so there is clearly something wrong with the design on these since it can be bent so easily.  And the Surface pro Jerry compared still functioned after the same test method.

some devices are overbuilt in terms of strength, but that doesn't mean all devices have to be. 

56 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

some devices are overbuilt in terms of strength, but that doesn't mean all devices have to be. 

Doesn't mean they should be allowed to be underbuilt. This is a complete joke. A bent product is a defective product. Why Apple allowed this past QC is beyond me.

Just now, C2HWarrior said:

Doesn't mean they should be allowed to be underbuilt.

I didn't argue that at all. I was responding to the argument that some devices can survive a bend test... 

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I didn't argue that at all. I was responding to the argument that some devices can survive a bend test... 

yea but surface isn't overbuilt it's just reasonably built. The sheer ease that he bent it (iPad Pro) with is the problem, it shows the physical structure is clearly flawed in some way. As we see with them shipping bent.

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

Just now, S w a t s o n said:

yea but surface isn't overbuilt it's just reasonably built. The sheer ease that he bent it with is the problem, it shows the physical structure is clearly flawed in some way. As we see with them shipping bent.

perhaps. but my argument is still valid. devices shouldn't need to survive a bend test. 

Just now, firelighter487 said:

perhaps. but my argument is still valid. devices shouldn't need to survive a bend test. 

right and he clearly states it bends as expected for something of it's dimensions. this wasnt exactly a surprise but the video was posted in the thread in support of the shipping problem.