Can a motherboard cause this issue?

darknightbacca
6 hours ago, DakotaWebber said:

its your cpu not being able to handle the load, the r3 2200g is good, but its not amazing either

this causes it to take longer to push frames to your gpu/monitor, increasing frametime resulting in that laggy less fluid feel, you can try to rectify this by turning off everything in the background, but otherwise your cpu isnt strong enough to keep a consistent frametime

Aight so i've spent hours diagnosing and testing every component in my computer, i've switched to my other 2 motherboards which have the same issue, (due to my power supply failing and making them go bad atleast i think..) and i've switched out my cpu with a spare + changed to ram i haven't used before on my old dddr3 mobo, same issue. also i've switched the sata cables and done everything else i can think of, but there is no way in hell my new mobo was damaged in the same way as my others, as i've got a brand new PSU. Only thing wrong with it is there's a small scratch, on the sides there's some scrapes but they don't look like they've damaged the traces, and the solder pins on the back are bent, neither of which should cause the same problems as the others, although random weird things can happen if a trace is damaged, it dosen't seem like it.

The motherboard is perfectly working apart from the smoothness issue, only other problem i have is the desktop is laggy but that's across three motherboards so that could easily be my ssd causing that, all in all the only things left that are plausible are 1 - my windows is f*cked and it causing all this, 2 - my motherboard small scratch damage and scrapes on the sides of it are causing all of this, unlikely. 3 - my power supply is failing and damaging every motherboard i hook up. Honestly i'm so lost and have no idea what to do, please give me some advice if you've thought or know of something that i don't.

(Also i have heard from multiple people that motherboards DO NOT judge performance or causing stuttering or smoothing issues, only major like BSOD, blue screens, freezes, not booting, e.t.c, only came to the conclusion of the motherboard because their was nothing else that could have done it)

you just keep going and dont actually listen to what people say, then keep testing and assuming its something that just doesnt make sense

21 hours ago, darknightbacca said:

smoothness issue, only other problem i have is the desktop is laggy but that's across three motherboards

your

cpu

its only running at 2300mhz, and the usages across the cores are fairly high

21 hours ago, darknightbacca said:

could easily be my ssd causing that

how on earth would an ssd be causing smoothness issues on the desktop

youll also never have true full smoothness with your cpu, sorry but its the truth, you need to upgrade it  if you want better performance without issues

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

22 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

you just keep going and dont actually listen to what people say, then keep testing and assuming its something that just doesnt make sense

your

cpu

its only running at 2300mhz, and the usages across the cores are fairly high

how on earth would an ssd be causing smoothness issues on the desktop

youll also never have true full smoothness with your cpu, sorry but its the truth, you need to upgrade it  if you want better performance without issues

You're the one who's not listening, i've stated that i've tested other cpu's, also tested my cpu's own vega graphics and same issue.

Just now, darknightbacca said:

i've stated that i've tested other cpu's

what other cpus?

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

i5-2500k, and a old spare i3, and before you say that they are too low end and they're bottlenecking my gpu, you're wrong. Before i had all these issues it didn't bottleneck it, it ran at high fps, smooth and just fine.

Look i have tested EVERYTHING i can think of, cpu's been ruled out, gpu's been ruled out, i've installed a fresh windows on a different hard drive, switched out sata cables with spares, tested my power supply's voltages, tested my monitors, switched out the cables, but i can't test my motherboard unfortunately, and you and everyone else is right, i don't see how a tiny scratch, a few bent solder excess pins and some marks on the side would cause this issue, if the traces were broken i'm sure they'd stop working entirely or start causing BSOD's, crashing, freezing, random restarts, e.t.c, ruling out the motherboard but it's the only thing left that i can point to, hence why i am stuck.

25 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

what other cpus?

All i can think of, is that when i switched to my other motherboards, and to my other cpu's and other ram is that the issue's were all IDENTICAL, the desktop was laggy, games had a smoothness issue, so that has to rule out my motherboard, my other ones don't have scratch marks on them or any visual damage. Only other thing i can think of is the power supply, if it's not supplying enough voltages then can that cause desktop being laggy, games running half as good as they should, cpu's not at 3ghz as it use to be. I'm just going frantic trying to figure this out, only thing is that the voltages on it as 100% as they should be, although it could still fail right, what do you think?

Hear me out this may sound dumb but i'm out of options, back when my old motherboard started having issues, the power supply failed a week or two later, so my theory is that the psu damaged my motherboard, then when i got my new one the motherboard was damaged so it damaged my new psu, then with my new motherboard the power supply is damaging it therefore i have the same issues as my other motherboards, does that make sense?

20 minutes ago, darknightbacca said:

i5-2500k, and a old spare i3,

not saying any cpu or the one you have now is bottlenecking

your cpu now and the ones you have tried arent very high end, of course youre going to have a little bit of issues with smoothness looking into areas where there are many objects on the screen

i also told you to try and cap to 60fps before, but capping fps also introduces non smoothness issues,  but at the same time it aids with the cpu struggling to push frames, if possible in your game maybe add 10fps to your limit

your cpu is heavily underclocked in the video as well, it could just be doing that for power savings as it might not need to be going full tilt, however you could try and change that in your bios and see if there are any differences

3 minutes ago, darknightbacca said:

if it's not supplying enough voltages then can that cause desktop being laggy, games running half as good as they should, cpu's not at 3ghz as it use to be.

you would be experiencing random shutdowns and reboots if your psu wasnt supplying enough power, not a performance limit

2 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

your cpu now and the ones you have tried arent very high end, of course youre going to have a little bit of issues with smoothness looking into areas where there are many objects on the screen

i also told you to try and cap to 60fps before, but capping fps also introduces non smoothness issues,  but at the same time it aids with the cpu struggling to push frames, if possible in your game maybe add 10fps to your limit

your cpu is heavily underclocked in the video as well, it could just be doing that for power savings as it might not need to be going full tilt, however you could try and change that in your bios and see if there are any differences

you would be experiencing random shutdowns and reboots if your psu wasnt supplying enough power, not a performance limit

I get what you're saying, thing is i've had the same cpu since before the issue popped up, and same settings and i never had the issue of half my areas being fluid and normal and the other half being smoothed out and vsync-like, + how do you account for my desktop being laggy as hell, as i've tested my cpu a couple times, not to mention i've tried other games and same issue, although maybe it is underclocked, i'll push it up and see if that changes anything, good to know that my psu couldn't cause this though.

59 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Alright, i've put my pc to max performance, set my ryzen to game mode and it stayed mostly at 3ghz in-game, but same smoothness issue, i've also noticed when i look at the area that is too smooth and vsync-like i get screen tearing, massive ammounts compared to none on the fluid and normal side.

Here's a video of my desktop lag, not sure if you can see what i see but it's there, 

Ok guys i've done more testing, i've reset the cmos, reset the rtc ram and used just my Vega Graphics off my cpu and same issue, seems to be the source of it, gpu just seems to be suffering from it, also i've done a fresh install of windows on a different hdd, with bare minimum stuff, 1 ram stick, spare cpu, barely any programs installed on the windows 7 install, and just minecraft.

Issue occurs no matter what, i've ruled out my hard drives & ssd's, sata cables, sata power cables and gpu

Power supply might be failing i have no idea to know for 100%, i've done the paper clip test & used a multimeter to measure voltage, all seems OK.

RAM i've tested in the past with BurnInTest, 0 errors, also used a spare new ram stick so i think that rules it out.

CPU i've tested with burnintest as well, 0 errors, also has no bent pins, and i've tested two spare cpu's and same issue.

Leaving only the motherboards, now i got a new one recently and it has the same issue as my other ones, there's a small scratch on it but i HIGHLY DOUBT that would cause anything close to this, and if something in my pc kept damaging my motherboards then it'd cause bsod's, random crashes, freezing, e.t.c

Although motherboards causing slow, sluggish and horrible frames in areas in games, it may be possible if damaged i don't know, we're in the guessing game here guys.

So i'm left thinking, my old PSU failed a week after all this and i hooked it up to my other spare mobo at the time, but never to my new mobo, making me think maybe my new psu has damaged my new mobo, except that's so unlikely.

Maybe my cpu was damaged by the crappy psu a while back, except i've just tested a spare one i hadn't used before and same issue.

What do you guys think out of the Motherboard, CPU or PSU could cause slow, sluggish framerates in areas in games, cause GPU has 100% been ruled out.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, mxk. said:

Ryzen needs fast RAM to get optimal performance. I'm not sure if this is the issue but when going with AMD ryzen builds 3000mhz RAM should be the minimum, or overclocked to that level.

I actually have 2400mhz as well and I run a 1600x, I don't run into framerate issues.

the cause here seems to be something else

Edit: yep, the reason is very likely to be the cpu. 2200g is a very serious bottle neck for a 1060. even a slight upgrade to 2400g might have helped.

or maybe the game is rendering in your integrated graphics.

please make sure that the game is rendering in your 1060

10 minutes ago, DankSepticeye said:

I actually have 2400mhz as well and I run a 1600x, I don't run into framerate issues.

I didn't really say that there will be framerate issues, but you'll just be getting lower FPS and other performance in work based tasks with the slower RAM.

You can pull up any of those garbage youtube benchmark channels that just compare a bunch of random stuff in games, and a lot of them have Ryzen+Different RAM speeds. You'll see the difference when they do RAM speed videos.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

7 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I didn't really say that there will be framerate issues, but you'll just be getting lower FPS and other performance in work based tasks with the slower RAM.

You can pull up any of those garbage youtube benchmark channels that just compare a bunch of random stuff in games, and a lot of them have Ryzen+Different RAM speeds. You'll see the difference when they do RAM speed videos.

framerate and FPS are two different things now are they?

higher frequency ram can improve performance in professional workloads all right. Hell they'll even give you an extra 10-20 fps in games. if you actually watched the videos of llt you would know that they did a ram speed analysis and its effect in framerate in games.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk)

OP here is not talking about workloads like that, he has clearly stated that he's seeing drastic underperformance for his gpu in normal games.

4 hours ago, DankSepticeye said:

higher frequency ram can improve performance in professional workloads all right. Hell they'll even give you an extra 10-20 fps in games. if you actually watched the videos of llt you would know that they did a ram speed analysis and its effect in framerate in games.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk)

OP here is not talking about workloads like that, he has clearly stated that he's seeing drastic underperformance for his gpu in normal games.

Look, this argument is really stupid. I don't need to try and convince anyone that RAM speeds help with Ryzen's performance in workloads and games, because it's a fact. Intel will benefit, but just less.

I understand that he isn't talking about work station tasks, I was just pointing it out because that's part of the overall performance.

I don't really see why you're going for a small gap in my knowledge involving frame rates and FPS. Thanks for letting me know in such a nice, condescending manner.

edit: what is the difference between FPS and frame rate? I really thought they were the same thing.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

21 hours ago, mxk. said:

Look, this argument is really stupid. I don't need to try and convince anyone that RAM speeds help with Ryzen's performance in workloads and games, because it's a fact. Intel will benefit, but just less.

I understand that he isn't talking about work station tasks, I was just pointing it out because that's part of the overall performance.

I don't really see why you're going for a small gap in my knowledge involving frame rates and FPS. Thanks for letting me know in such a nice, condescending manner.

This is 100% true. RAM speeds definitely help with Ryzen performance, it's been proven countless times by tech reviewers and Ryzen owners alike. 

2933MHz should be the bare minimum if you want to get optimal performance.

Sure, you can run Ryzen on 2133MHz or 2400MHz RAM but you will lose a few FPS and you'll get decreased performance in CPU-intensive tasks.

Ryzen is notorious for being picky with RAM, it's a fact.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, DankSepticeye said:

I've got 2 issues with this statement.

1. I can't help but think you were trying to be condescending there. Sorry if you weren't, it's just how the comment was written that makes me think that.

2. Using FPS and framerate in the same sentence doesn't necessarily mean you don't know the difference between them.

@mxk. was most likely using framerate and FPS interchangably throughout the sentence because it makes it sound better.

Repeating the same word over and over again makes the sentence repetitive, boring and generally not very nice to read.

When you have a boring and repetitive sentence nobody wants to read it, which defeats the whole point of commenting in the first place.

Bump, i've come to the conclusion that it might not be my motherboard but it could very well be either my CPU or GPU

I've found the best way to explain the issue i have, it's rendering, whenever ALOT needs to render it causes choppy and sluggish frames compared to less needing to render, now i'm not sure if it's my GPU causing this as when using my cpu's vega graphics the issue still occurs, however using a spare cpu on another board with my gpu the issue still occurs.

Leading me to believe that both my cpu & gpu are bad? what do you guys think can cause rendering problems?

On 3/6/2019 at 5:40 AM, mxk. said:

edit: what is the difference between FPS and frame rate? I really thought they were the same thing.

Framerate is measured in FPS. Like how distance is measured in metres.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Framerate is measured in FPS. Like how distance is measured in metres.

yeah I was very sure that they were the same thing but Danksepticeye apparently thinks they're two different things.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, darknightbacca said:

Bump, i've come to the conclusion that it might not be my motherboard but it could very well be either my CPU or GPU

I've found the best way to explain the issue i have, it's rendering, whenever ALOT needs to render it causes choppy and sluggish frames compared to less needing to render, now i'm not sure if it's my GPU causing this as when using my cpu's vega graphics the issue still occurs, however using a spare cpu on another board with my gpu the issue still occurs.

Leading me to believe that both my cpu & gpu are bad? what do you guys think can cause rendering problems?

people have been trying to tell you that it was your CPU

your RAM speed probably isn't helping

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

people have been trying to tell you that it was your CPU

your RAM speed probably isn't helping

I get it but to be fair i had tested multiple cpu's at the time and had every right to believe it was the motherboard, also ram speed at 2400 + dual channel is just fine for ryzen, there's only a few fps difference in benchmarks lol.

Before i go ahead and warranty it, this is what happened and i wanna know what you think.

a while ago my old power supply started failing and eventually stopped working entirely, during that time i had my gpu installed with my cpu now do you think it damaged both in the way of rendering not working correctly and causing sluggish / choppy framerates ?

cause it all tracks, just wanting to know if you think it's possible ?

2 minutes ago, darknightbacca said:

I get it but to be fair i had tested multiple cpu's at the time and had every right to believe it was the motherboard, also ram speed at 2400 + dual channel is just fine for ryzen, there's only a few fps difference in benchmarks lol.

Before i go ahead and warranty it, this is what happened and i wanna know what you think.

a while ago my old power supply started failing and eventually stopped working entirely, during that time i had my gpu installed with my cpu now do you think it damaged both in the way of rendering not working correctly and causing sluggish / choppy framerates ?

cause it all tracks, just wanting to know if you think it's possible ?

I think it might be possible but that's not my area of expertise, so consider making a new thread about your parts being damaged

also, not to be rude, but what benchmarks are you looking at? I've seen a lot of other things showing much higher FPS increases than just a few...

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

I think it might be possible but that's not my area of expertise, so consider making a new thread about your parts being damaged

also, not to be rude, but what benchmarks are you looking at? I've seen a lot of other things showing much higher FPS increases than just a few...

3 minutes ago, darknightbacca said:

something is definitely up with that benchmark. I wouldn't call youtubing "benchmark" channels real tests like actual tech youtubers do.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

11 minutes ago, mxk. said:

something is definitely up with that benchmark. I wouldn't call youtubing "benchmark" channels real tests like actual tech youtubers do.

Alright well that was a video i looked at for 5 seconds, just looked into it more and it does have a significant performance improvement but the extra 100 dollars or so for 16gb of ram but increase speeds dosen't seem worth it to me.

For example 3200Mhz on CS:GO hits 329 FPS, around 2666 hits 295, there's not a 2400 but it would be around 290 or a little less, point is that a 30 fps performance gain or maybe a little more is definitely good, but worth a extra 100 dollars when i can reach high fps on most games dosen't seem worth it imo.