darknightbacca

Motherboard : Asus Prime B350 PLUS

CPU : Ryzen 3 2200G

RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR-2400

PSU : TX550M Gold

GPU : ROG STRIX GTX 1060 06G

Operating System : Windows 10 Build 1809 64 Bit

BIOS Version : 4207

All games i've played have very choppy frames in areas that have buildings or large objects and smooth non choppy frames in flat areas.

I've tried reinstalling windows down to an older version messing with driver settings, downgrading drivers, tested each component with burnintest (4 hours 100% load) + tested them all individually also tried another motherboard + no physical damage, no bad beep codes, cleared cmos + bios ram, reset settings back to default, tried sata cables and switched hard drives + ssd. 

Started one day when the ssd wouldn't boot and had to reinstall it then the issue popped up, a while later my power supply went faulty (was alot worse with that one then current one)

here's a video representation of how it was before, it is better now just not as bad.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ryzen needs fast RAM to get optimal performance. I'm not sure if this is the issue but when going with AMD ryzen builds 3000mhz RAM should be the minimum, or overclocked to that level.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Might sound pretty dumb, but have you enabled V-Sync?

EDIT: He has from the fps counter in the video

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Vsync is completely off, also tried with it on, ram speed isn't the issue (on double channel) and same speed when i didn't have the issue so thats out.

fps counter is just locked to 60 fps with no vsync fyi.

Just now, mxk. said:

Ryzen needs fast RAM to get optimal performance. I'm not sure if this is the issue but when going with AMD ryzen builds 3000mhz RAM should be the minimum, or overclocked to that level.

I have 2400MHz single channel RAM with my ryzen PC and it doesn't do anything like this, so that's weird. As far as I know this doesn't seem to be a fps issue

Trying to figure out what could cause this, honestly when my power supply started failing i'm thinking it damaged my 2 motherboards i used with it to test, but there dosen't seem to be any visual damage or symptoms with them so its very strange.

Just now, darknightbacca said:

Trying to figure out what could cause this, honestly when my power supply started failing i'm thinking it damaged my 2 motherboards i used with it to test, but there dosen't seem to be any visual damage or symptoms with it so very strange.

From my understanding of the video, it does seem to be dipping to 55-60fps sometimes. Try turning the settings a notch down and enabling V-Sync and it should be much smoother.

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I have 2400MHz single channel RAM with my ryzen PC and it doesn't do anything like this, so that's weird. As far as I know this doesn't seem to be a fps issue

If you get faster RAM you'll get better performance. Zen's Infinity Fabric design is directly related to CAS timings and clock speed

You don't have to get better RAM though.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Tried with v-sync enabled and settings down it's not a fps issue, and ram has nothing to do with it as i said in post i tried other motherboard which means different ram, processor and same issue.

Just now, mxk. said:

If you get faster RAM you'll get better performance. Zen's Infinity Fabric design is directly related to CAS timings and clock speed

I do know that, but in this case it's mostly fixed by just getting the fps to 60fps and higher then enabling VSync. DDR4 is pretty pricey nowadays too, so I can see if he doesn't want to spend a lot of time OCing RAM or spend a lot of money buying new RAM so he can play at ultra instead of high

I've tried fortnite on 120 fps + 60 fps + unlimited, e.t.c and it's all staying consistently high yet choppy in alot of areas.

Also the temperatures are solid (CPU 60c gaming, 40-50c idle (hot days), gpu is around 50-60c gaming and hard drives are also cool

3 minutes ago, darknightbacca said:

Tried with v-sync enabled and settings down it's not a fps issue, and ram has nothing to do with it as i said in post i tried other motherboard which means different ram, processor and same issue.

That's weird. From the video I don't really see anything wrong other than the fps dipping a little bit (and therefore tearing a bit). Try watching the video on another device and it won't look too bad

Might be the monitors, let me triple check it and make 100% sure

Tried a tv as a display and same issue. not monitors.

Do you guys think that a failing power supply could damage my motherboard in a way to where there is no bad beeps, no visual damage, crashing or any type of symptom thats bad except choppy fps

Motherboard : Asus Prime B350 PLUS

CPU : Ryzen 3 2200G

RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400

PSU : TX550M Gold

GPU : ROG STRIX GTX 1060 06G

Operating System : Windows 10 Build 1809 64 Bit

BIOS Version : 4207

had a power supply that started failing and i'm not sure if it damaged my motherboard as i haven't had any major issues with it except choppy frames in games with high fps

The motherboard has no visual damage, no random shutdowns or restarts and the beep codes say it's fine.

I would first check to see if there are many components "maxing" while hitting those frame rates. They're are a couple programs that will log the percent utilization of cpu, memory, gpu, or if it's thermal throttling. If any of the your components hit 100 percent utilization while hitting those frame rates, then whatever component that hits 100 percent might be the faulty part IF the components were damaged due to the psu. Hopefully, it should give a better idea.

All temperatures are fine so not thermal throttling, 60c gaming cpu and 50-60 GPU, also ran burnintest 4 hours 100% load no problems, so nothing seems to be damaged. 

Ok no it's not too slow, it's dual channel and before i had this issue was using the same ram, meaning ram is 100% not the issue, i'd have better fps with more speed but fps isn't the issue

2 hours ago, darknightbacca said:

Ok no it's not too slow, it's dual channel and before i had this issue was using the same ram, meaning ram is 100% not the issue, i'd have better fps with more speed but fps isn't the issue

Look at the software, Windows updates or drivers. If this has started suddenly, it's more likely software than hardware issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

no, because if that damages anything you'll see it right away (assume that you don't bend it more and more, for example installing it in a case and put a heavy graphics card on it)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

no, static damage is mostly overblown. some motherboards protect themselves against it more than others but I've seen people build pc's on a carpet with socks on. I would recommend picking up a static wrist band they're super cheap and give you peace of mind I use one all the time. Also it would not cause the issue you're referring to.  

1) static electricity comes from non-conductive materials, not objects like a metal screwdriver.

2) if you touch the motherboard with a screwwdriver while it's on what is likely to happen is called a short, not static electricity damage.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no it's like i was screwing in to the standoff and the screwdriver hit to the side of the motherboard, will that damage it?

Badd PSU- Highly unlikely. Your RAM - very likely.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow