Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fragman1995

Old board advice

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys, I have an AsRock G31M-S with a Core 2 Quad Q8400 and 4 gb ddr2 ram. The board supports 8gb of ram and I am looking into buying some ddr2 dimms, but they are quiet rare and expensive, as the motherboard has only 2 slots, therefore I am considering if I should upgrade the board and processor to something that uses ddr3 at least.

7 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Depends on your budget. If you can upgrade to something like a 2nd gen i5 then go for it.

For what the ddr2 ram costs on ebay I think I would be able to buy an used one, but I am unsure. I habe about 70$ dollar for the ram and I still need to add a gpu, maybe a 1050.

You are the only one that can answer the old 'to upgrade or not to upgrade' question.

If you're happy, don't upgrade. If you aren't, upgrade.

No signature found

16 minutes ago, Fragman1995 said:

therefore I am considering if I should upgrade the board and processor to something that uses ddr3 at least

Yes, do this. DDR2 is just awful compared to DDR3. Can you afford an i5 4th gen and an H81 motherboard from eBay?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

28 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yes, do this. DDR2 is just awful compared to DDR3. Can you afford an i5 4th gen and an H81 motherboard from eBay?

I will check if someone on the ghetto here has one, sometimes you can get cheap systems for about 200$

1 minute ago, Fragman1995 said:

I will check if someone on the ghetto here has one, sometimes you can get cheap systems for about 200$

What's your region? You listed budget in dollars but idk what your availability is

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

What DDR2 do you need that so expensive???

For something that old, I would upgrade to AT LEAST 1st Gen CORE i3,5,7 or even the XEON's from that era..

Example:

My test bench is old, but runs Shadow of the Tomb Raider AWESOME!!!

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Xeon W3580 3.33ghz OC'd to 4.256ghz on all 4cores w/ Turbo OFF. (133x32)(Runs at 70c under load @ 1.35v)

16GB DDR 3

Radeon R9 390

Gets 59FPS on ULTRA HIGH in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

A used 1st gen mobo is around $25.00

That very same XEON is about $25.00 (The I7-920 goes pretty cheap too, I have one I'll sell cheap if you want it... It was NEVER OC'd and came out of an Office Server... They are GREAT overclocking Chips because they were before the Delidding was needed)

DDR3 is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP..

And EVERYTHING else you have should work!!!

Good Luck,

James

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What's your region? You listed budget in dollars but idk what your availability is

I am in Guatemala, that is why I wrote ghetto, the whole country is a ghetto xd

7 minutes ago, JamesTheGreat said:

What DDR2 do you need that so expensive???

For something that old, I would upgrade to AT LEAST 1st Gen CORE i3,5,7 or even the XEON's from that era..

Example:

My test bench is old, but runs Shadow of the Tomb Raider AWESOME!!!

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Xeon W3580 3.33ghz OC'd to 4.256ghz on all 4cores w/ Turbo OFF. (133x32)(Runs at 70c under load @ 1.35v)

16GB DDR 3

Radeon R9 390

Gets 59FPS on ULTRA HIGH in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

A used 1st gen mobo is around $25.00

That very same XEON is about $25.00 (The I7-920 goes pretty cheap too, I have one I'll sell cheap if you want it... It was NEVER OC'd and came out of an Office Server... They are GREAT overclocking Chips because they were before the Delidding was needed)

DDR3 is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP..

And EVERYTHING else you have should work!!!

Good Luck,

James

I need non ECC unbuffered 4gb dimms. I wanted to upgrade the machine to 8gb but it only has 2 slots. I will check that build tho.

Just now, Fragman1995 said:

I need non ECC unbuffered 4gb dimms. I wanted to upgrade the machine to 8gb but it only has 2 slots. I will check that build tho.

What i just listed there  is older, but still really cheap...  I'll check my stock of older memory... I very well MAY have some 4gb DDR2 modules sitting around here.. I scrap PC's for a living and ALWAYS save the CPU's, Ram, HDD's and Video Cards... Sometimes the PCI/PCIE cards depending on what they are.

I'll let you know.  If you want to know anymore performance info about the XEON system, let me know.

Thanks

James

22 hours ago, JamesTheGreat said:

What i just listed there  is older, but still really cheap...  I'll check my stock of older memory... I very well MAY have some 4gb DDR2 modules sitting around here.. I scrap PC's for a living and ALWAYS save the CPU's, Ram, HDD's and Video Cards... Sometimes the PCI/PCIE cards depending on what they are.

I'll let you know.  If you want to know anymore performance info about the XEON system, let me know.

Thanks

James

Thanks bro, I will look into that build but I will also search for a budget new PC build. I want to compare cost benefit.