Steam scammers on the rise

Nova Dwagon
7 hours ago, Nova Dwagon said:

Ok I know this is not on any offical news platforms but LTT can you please cover that steam scammers are on the rise and manipulating users into giving them details because they accdently reported them or they see mutiple reports on there account.

Scambots on Steam have existed for a decade already, they're absolutely nothing new. Also, there's no indication that I can find that says there's suddenly more of them than before; they choose their targets randomly based on certain criteria, so sometimes some people get targeted more, sometimes less, but it doesn't mean the amount of the scambots has changed.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Its pretty hard to actually get into someone's steam account if they have 2 factor on. I mean, its virtually impossible unless youre some NSA level hacker to get into something properly secured with 2FA so idk why youd say its "easily hacked".

Unless the SSFN file is still stealable and the vulnerability being exploited.

The easiest way around 2 factor require the service to use SMS as 2 factor, that the hacker knows your number and some other I formation about you already, and a mobile service provider that don't do their job as they should.

It works that the hacker calls the mobile service provider and with knowing the phone number and some other information requred, get a new SIM card with that number. That way the codes is sent to the hacker instead.

If you do 2 factor trough an app that doesn't work anymore anyway.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

relax guys, I know steam will send a generic ass e-mail if there was an issue, but the issue is the amount of people who are not tech-heads like us, hence why I made the post!, so make sure all your friends know.

and the scammers are using pressure to manipulate people putting the user in great stress to make it easy to attack, so for the average gamer or people who are not thinking they may fall for it.

P.S. The last scammer to attack my friend even did there research and made it looks like they been around them for awhile.

8 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Well I don't know what hackers are capable of, but I don't want to take any chances. I don't have that much money to take that risk, even if it is quite small. 

2FA will do nothing to hurt your account. Unless you're a well-known person who would purposely be targeted using the same methods as Poodlecorp used to hack Linus' twitter (which is a lot of effort to do as it takes a hell of a lot of time and social engineering to plan out and purposely deploy that sort of attack on even a single individual), you have nothing to worry about. I have my phone and PayPal linked up to my Steam account in addition to having Steam Guard on my phone. Nobody would ever want to go through all of the effort it takes to break through 2FA just to hack a single individual unless the account they're trying to hack is level 100 and has loads of great games.

11 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Hmmmmm

So its not like click on the squares with a bicycle in it, or the type the squiggly letters out.

Did not Linus get pinched hard on some scammers a cpl yrs ago. If anyone got a quick link, would love to read up on it. Do not give me the video. Just the forum thread.

Got it, from Lman himself

IIRC, Linus hasn't been hacked because of mishandling passwords or stuff like that. Forum had middleman breach, Twitter got hacked because his phone company allowed stranger to order new sim card in his name (lack of security on their part). I think there might have been one because they forgot to renew website domain. But in his case, its more about flashing CC numbers and phone numbers than anything else.

2 hours ago, Nova Dwagon said:

relax guys, I know steam will send a generic ass e-mail if there was an issue, but the issue is the amount of people who are not tech-heads like us, hence why I made the post!, so make sure all your friends know.

and the scammers are using pressure to manipulate people putting the user in great stress to make it easy to attack, so for the average gamer or people who are not thinking they may fall for it.

P.S. The last scammer to attack my friend even did there research and made it looks like they been around them for awhile.

You made post and called out LTT to speak about it. How is this gonna be transferred to less aware people, who don't follow these tech-heads is beyond my understanding.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

I have my phone and PayPal linked up to my Steam account in addition to having Steam Guard on my phone. Nobody would ever want to go through all of the effort it takes to break through 2FA just to hack a single individual unless the account they're trying to hack is level 100 and has loads of great games.

I have my Steam Guard on sending me email codes. It's less convenient, but my email also has 2FA. So someone would have to defeat two layers of 2FA if they wanted access to my Steam account. Not to mention that as far as I know, the actual login name I use for the account is not in any obvious places.

Either way, at the end of the day, I agree with this sentiment: try not to be a target and make it harder for someone to break into your system

20 hours ago, aezakmi said:

bruh if you give your password to a random dude on steam you kinda deserve to be scammed

When you right....you right.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Just last week I got Scam link posted from a friend.

Your buddy's got malware on their PC.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 hours ago, Nova Dwagon said:

you dont have to be a tech-head to realize you're being scammed by being asked for your password. thats like common sense 101

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 hours ago, Mihle said:

The easiest way around 2 factor require the service to use SMS as 2 factor, that the hacker knows your number and some other I formation about you already, and a mobile service provider that don't do their job as they should.

It works that the hacker calls the mobile service provider and with knowing the phone number and some other information requred, get a new SIM card with that number. That way the codes is sent to the hacker instead.

If you do 2 factor trough an app that doesn't work anymore anyway.

Which is why i recommend against using insecure 2FA like text message based ones.

20 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Nah thats to make sure people signing up for accounts arent robots. 2 factor authentication makes it impossible for someone to log in even if they have your password. Without the generated code theyll still be locked out.

Oh yeah ok I get it, I believe my bank was like that for awhile. It was annoying as fuck. Everytime I logged in it was a hassle.