PC randomly shuts down and I can't think of a reason.

KuronoXD

As the title says, my PC has been randomly shutting down instantly while ALL the fans go into hyper speed (case fans, CPU and GPU as well). I don't think it has to do with temps, as I have pretty good circulation with 7 case fans (and I keep the AC running the whole day).

And explaining the "random" part of the title, it seems to have some consistency but no logic that I've figured out; it happens when I'm just browsing, while I'm listening to music or watching a video in MPC-HC and most consistently when I'm watching videos in youtube, but it has never happened while I'm gaming.

I have already stress tested most components but they didn't fail or throw an error (CPU, RAM, and GPU) and crystaldisk still shows me good SSD integrity (92%), so I have no logs to speak of as to what could be failing (I don't get a BSOD, just computer off and spinning fans).

The only other components are the PSU and Mobo, but I have no reliable way to test those, any ideas?

It could be your motherboard going bad.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Not long ago a friend of mines PC was going on and off totally random, i went to do the big inspection and found out a tiny drop of thermal paste had gone down the side and was touching 2 pins on his cpu.

As the paste was arctic silver it is electrically conductive, so cleaned it off and swapped it for a smaller amount of a non conductive paste, just to be sure.

Maybe you have the same issue.

My Gaming PC: 27833

Maybe your GPU is dying? That's always been the cause when I had that issue 

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Use the beep code method with the Motherboard to see if anything comes up, + pc randomly shutting down is a symptom of a dying motherboard (look for any visual damage, blown capacitors, damaged circuitry) 

As for power supply try all testing methods,  you can find them online + take out your gpu and just watch some youtube and see if it crashes still.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone likes the feeling of closure on threads about troubleshooting, I finally figured out what's wrong (...I think). Special thanks to @SenpaiKaplan, who poinited me in the right direction.

It actually does have to do with the GPU, but not because of it going bad, but that it sucked so much juice that my old PSU failed on sustained, specific loads.

To ensure that it wasn't actually my graphics card, I set the Power Limit at 90% and the unexplained shutdowns stopped ever since. Today, I tried playing in 4K with almost everything maxed out and set the power limit back to normal (120% when gaming, for overclocking); some minutes in I experienced the instant shutdown.

So, I decided to put the limit at 95% and it was a while before something went wrong, but this time the PC rebooted on its own and after post, my ASUS mobo had the message "A PSU power surge has been detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-surge was triggered...".

It seems then, that my PSU fails at high sustained loads or something is specifically wrong with the 12V rail, and that when the GPU is set over 100% it is too much too fast and everything fails instantly without leaving an explanation, but under 100% it leaves time or capacity for the mobo to handle the fail-and-reboot process. 

26 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

If anyone likes the feeling of closure on threads about troubleshooting, I finally figured out what's wrong (...I think). Special thanks to @SenpaiKaplan, who poinited me in the right direction.

It actually does have to do with the GPU, but not because of it going bad, but that it sucked so much juice that my old PSU failed on sustained, specific loads.

To ensure that it wasn't actually my graphics card, I set the Power Limit at 90% and the unexplained shutdowns stopped ever since. Today, I tried playing in 4K with almost everything maxed out and set the power limit back to normal (120% when gaming, for overclocking); some minutes in I experienced the instant shutdown.

So, I decided to put the limit at 95% and it was a while before something went wrong, but this time the PC rebooted on its own and after post, my ASUS mobo had the message "A PSU power surge has been detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-surge was triggered...".

It seems then, that my PSU fails at high sustained loads or something is specifically wrong with the 12V rail, and that when the GPU is set over 100% it is too much too fast and everything fails instantly without leaving an explanation, but under 100% it leaves time or capacity for the mobo to handle the fail-and-reboot process. 

Hurray OwO

Are you gonna get a new PSU?

13 hours ago, KuronoXD said:

I figured it was something to do with the GPU! Im glad it's all fixed now though, best of luck with your system stability in the future!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは