Moving to back of house, router far away

Lucky5

So recently we added onto our house, because our grandma lives with us now she's gonna take my room and I'm gonna take the new one far in the back, the router has always been in my room and so I've used ethernet, but today they were gonna move me back there but I realized I don't have a wifi card for my pc, and the distance is quite far and I doubt most 60$ wifi cards can reach it with good speeds, and its the router we got from our ISP, would going dual router be an option? we have 300MBPs internet.

If a dual router setup is the best option which routers support it, and is set up easy?

Just now, Technomancer__ said:

the best way to do it is to run a cable

if you can't do that try powerline

a cable would be too expensive to drill holes and go through the wall, whats powerline?

3 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

a cable would be too expensive to drill holes and go through the wall, whats powerline?

powerline is basically an adapter that you plug in to your power socket at the wall. it converts the ground wire (AFAIK) in to the ethernet connection, so you can have somewhat of a wired connection without running a cable.

in my experience it works kinda good, tough depending on the wiring in your building your mileage may vary.

Just now, RollinLower said:

powerline is basically an adapter that you plug in to your power socket at the wall. it converts the ground wire (AFAIK) in to the ethernet connection, so you can have somewhat of a wired connection without running a cable.

in my experience it works kinda good, tough depending on the wiring in your building your mileage may vary.

how much better is this over wifi?

4 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

I see my options are extremely limited then, go with this and get stuck with likely 100mbps or get stuck with wifi and have a similar situation, either way won't get my full 300mbps speed

1 hour ago, Lucky5 said:

I see my options are extremely limited then, go with this and get stuck with likely 100mbps or get stuck with wifi and have a similar situation, either way won't get my full 300mbps speed

I am afraid you will have to go wired for that

6 hours ago, Lucky5 said:

You can look at Moca adapters if you have coax in the new space and near the router. You should be able to get near if not all of the 300 Mbps. BUT moca is not as easy to setup and it can be expensive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Lucky5 said:

how much better is this over wifi?

how much worse is over wifi is the real question here

and the answer is... a lot, even the shittest wifi like literally the shittest cheap chinese routers and usb adapters are better.

you don't have to drill through the walls to run a cable tho, yeah might look ugly but it'll work.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

23 hours ago, Lucky5 said:

So recently we added onto our house, because our grandma lives with us now she's gonna take my room and I'm gonna take the new one far in the back, the router has always been in my room and so I've used ethernet, but today they were gonna move me back there but I realized I don't have a wifi card for my pc, and the distance is quite far and I doubt most 60$ wifi cards can reach it with good speeds, and its the router we got from our ISP, would going dual router be an option? we have 300MBPs internet.

If a dual router setup is the best option which routers support it, and is set up easy?

What I did at my house is run the cable into the wall at the router and into the attic. Then ran across the attic to the room I needed and dropped the cable down the inside of the wall and put a new wall plate for where my cable came out. Works perfect and cable is hidden. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

To be honest, i'd probably just invest in a robust wireless solution, maybe with an open mesh, I've had good luck with PCIE 5ghz adapters, the USB ones really suck for me, what is your budget? 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I'm currently in a similar situation, where I am on the opposite corner of the house from the router, and we have very thick walls (the previous owners had built the house themselves over 20 years ago).

My plan is setting up a combination of the Netgear DM200 wired VDSL2 router (after repairing it, and yes, I know that does not support over 100Mbts, however this is just to give an idea, plus, I intend to see whether hardware mods could allow for gigabit speeds, since the chipset itself supports 1Gbts) and Xiaomi Mi 3G router (this only has 2 LAN ports, unfortunately), both running OpenWRT (PandoraBox for the Xiaomi) for the main router, and using PowerLine adapters (if the infrastructure allows this) to allow networking to my room (there are PowerLine adapters that support 500Mbts, so that could help you, but be careful, as there are many that only support 500Mbts in total, which is then split according to the number of ports).

In my room, I'll be putting an 8-port gigabit switch (I need local gigabit speeds for the lab I am planning to build), probably an HP, as there is a store in the next city that deals in 2nd hand enterprise networking solutions, and a Xiaomi Mi 3 router (under the switch, I don't need my printer running on gigabit speeds, nor does it support them) running PandoraBox (OpenWRT with closed-source drivers, this will be until the open-source equivalents will be on par).

I hope that this may help with brainstorming ideas for your use case.

This may be obvious - but why not just move the router? If it's cable internet you just need to plug it into the coaxle in the room you're moving to. Or any other adjacent room.

18 hours ago, aezakmi said:

how much worse is over wifi is the real question here

and the answer is... a lot, even the shittest wifi like literally the shittest cheap chinese routers and usb adapters are better.

you don't have to drill through the walls to run a cable tho, yeah might look ugly but it'll work.

idk, getting just shy of 400mbit/s on my $50 powerline adapter.