My first "proper" rig :D

filippalfi

Hi lads,greetings from Croatia,hopefully the topic is in the right place! This is my first build,kinda,started with Lenovo M83,and built it from there,till now,completely different rig.

Kinda old but still rocks,mostly used for 1080p gaming,doing well doing that :D Only "regret" would be the case,due to its poor airflow,but still,looks good so thats what counts :D Let me know what u think! :) btw,sorry for crappy pictures.

Asus H81M-K motherboard

Xeon E3-1231 v3,Antec C40 cooler

16GB DDR3 HyperX Fury

WD Green 120GB SSD

Toshiba P300 2TB HDD

EVGA GTX980 SC

FSP 700W PSU

Asus VX239H 23" 1080P IPS,72hz

Logitech X230 speakers

CoolerMaster Masterset MS120 keyboard and mouse combo

CoolerMaster MasterBox lite 3.1 case

Thermaltake Riing 12 RGB case fans

DSC_0781.JPG

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0780.JPG

DSC_0782.JPG

DSC_0783.JPG

Yeah,mousepad coming tomorrow :D

Took the front panel off because of the really small airflow cut outs,i actually gets few degrees hotter when its on,so when i game i just take it off,dont wanna drill holes into it,at least not yet :)

Here is the photo with it on,looks good to me,but not too much airflow going on.. 

DSC_0785.JPG

5 minutes ago, filippalfi said:

Yeah,mousepad coming tomorrow :D

Took the front panel of because of the really small airflow cut outs,i actually gets few degrees hotter when its on,so when i game i just take it off,dont wanna drill holes into it,at least not yet :)

Here is the photo with it on,looks good to me,but not too much airflow going on.. 

DSC_0785.JPG

Actually i have the same problem with Corsair SPEC-04 case, when i put the front of the case the fan on the front don't work as it supposed to be, it gives much less air. without it the fans works fine. That's why i have it off, i am just afraid of the dust.

yeah, I have the bigger version (5 lite rgb), same problem. but I don't case about those few degrees. I think it looks better tho

19 minutes ago, Ragido said:

Actually i have the same problem with Corsair SPEC-04 case, when i put the front of the case the fan on the front don't work as it supposed to be, it gives much less air. without it the fans works fine. That's why i have it off, i am just afraid of the dust.

Yeah,same reasons here,thats why i bought those cheap 120mm dust filters,and they work fine :)

17 minutes ago, LaserLion said:

I like it.

It's a ravishing red retro beauty.

Thanks man,just saw your stuff,damn,its nice :)

16 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, I have the bigger version (5 lite rgb), same problem. but I don't case about those few degrees. I think it looks better tho

Yeah,only few degrees,i take it off because of the GPU,it does get hot as it is,it needs all the help it can get :D

Where's the build log?

This post is more as a setup show off, not a build log, wrong section!

Build log is more like you documented every progress you've made from the beginning of the building process to the final form.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Yeah, its not a build log as such, but its going to be improved in the future with new parts, that's why topic was opened here, if its a major problem, i can post few pictures of it when being built and stuff :)

Slow,cold and boring day today so i decided to bring my Lenovo M83 back to life with leftover parts and some fresh paint,not connected to this pc but still a pc :D

Matte white outside,copper paint inside,had those two at home :D ,painted the fans white,no problems there,they work fine.

OEM motherboard,Celeron G1840

4GB RAM

250GB original WD HDD

integrated graphics,slow but works,gonna serve for internet browsing for my grandparents :D LOL

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0476.JPG

DSC_0477.JPG

DSC_0478.JPG

Hello lads,small update for today.

Was not quite happy with cable management i did the first time,so i decided to take it apart today and clean it up a bit. Hopefully i did better hah :D

Also deciced to ditch the drive cage and mount it to the floor of the case,holes line up perfectly. Reason for that is that,tomorrow,ill make a template for a custom PSU shround and will get one made from billet. Really like those and a friend owns a machine shop,so why dafuq not :D 

Finished it up,ran userbenchmark,not really sure with what to compare results so u can let me know if it ran ok! Thanks for reading,pics below.

DSC_0806.JPG

DSC_0807.JPG

DSC_0808.JPG

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

First of all, I am so glad you got around to some proper cable management. I gave a relieved gasp when I saw it! Well done.

Second of all, I love that copper paint job. I've often thought about what kind of cool, unique project I might undertake with some spare parts, and now my fantasies are filled with copper!

33 minutes ago, LaserLion said:

First of all, I am so glad you got around to some proper cable management. I gave a relieved gasp when I saw it! Well done.

Second of all, I love that copper paint job. I've often thought about what kind of cool, unique project I might undertake with some spare parts, and now my fantasies are filled with copper!

Yeah,it kinda bothered me all along hahah,now its better even tho the case is not very good for cable management. 

Copper,wasnt sure how would it look,but in the end it does look great,chilling at my grandparents now,waiting to be used and abused with some COD4 action :D

And one more thing i didnt mention before,switched the pcie cables after watching @JayzTwoCents video so both are coming of the power supply and indeed it made my overclock higher compared to another 6 pin pigtail from the same cable,fastest 980 here apparently :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello lads! First of all, its a bit early, but Happy New Year to all LTT members ???

So, this morning i decided to test the temps on my 980,and was not pleasantly surprised. It hits 89c, which is not comfortable for me, even tho it is reference cooler. Took it apart, again, and saw that i didnt put enough thermal paste last time. Fixed that, took the small CPU fan from old Core2Duo cpu,removed the plastic window on the shroud and stuck the fan up there with double sided tape. It will work until i get the AIO next month. Temps dropped from 88-89c to 67c max with stock fan curve. Not the best looking but gonna serve for now :)

DSC_0944.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Boring and cold sunday so i did  some mods to my GTX 980 today,painted it in Gunmetal metallic gray and sanded off green paint od the GTX logo!

Finally found Maximus VII Gene and 4790K so i ordered that,cant wait for it to arrive. Also wanted to ask for some 4790K overclocking and cooling tips! Thanks for any advice.

DSC_1161.JPG

DSC_1162.JPG

DSC_1163.JPG

Woooohooo, biggest upgrade happened today, really happy because of it ?

It started with a good opportunity to get a Strix 1070 which had some problems, wanted to fix it but still didnt feel right, coudnt live with myself lnowing that it was faulty, if that makes any sense. So i went and bought a brand new MSI 1070 Ti Armor for 300E which i found accidentaly on local classifieds. Could not be happier and it seems that it pairs well with Xeon E3-1231 v3. Holy crap am i excited hahah.  BTW, sorry for kitchen pics ?

DSC_1181.JPG

DSC_1180.JPG

DSC_1179.JPG

DSC_1186.JPG

Yaaay! :) My first AIO experience. Its a LC Power 240mm, german brand,dont know if anyone uses it abroad hahah, but it turned out good. 4790k also arrived, thus the purchase of this, but the motherboard still didnt show up, so i tested it with my Xeon. 

Since i wanted to have all the fans remaining, took the stock ones and put them up front, and Thermaltakes on the back, which looks good but was hard to mount inside. Had to move the drive cage, now holes for it dont line up at all, gonna drill some,and many other tiny things. Im happy how it looks and performs, after installing the 4790k hopefully its gonna last like that at least 2-3 years without any major change. Let me know what u guys think. 

Aida64, 30min, max 44c.

GTA V, 30min, max 35c. 

Xeon E3-1231 v3, hopefully thats good. 

Btw, paper is there because i saw few drops of water on the floor and wasnt sure where it came from ??

DSC_1210.JPG

DSC_1209.JPG

So, changed the case today?

I really wanted something with top fan mounts and i found this used Antec P6, which is by far the best case i had, especially for its affordable price. Here are some pics, and yeah Thermaltake fan controller decided to die completely, white fans it is ?

DSC_1263.JPG

DSC_1264.JPG

DSC_1260.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Few updates for today! :) 

Thermaltake controller for Riing fans died completely,usb port on it just snapped off...,and since one of two fan headers on this motherboard died i had to find another solution tu run it all from CPU fan header.

Before:

DSC-0048.jpg

DSC-0049.jpg

Starting to cable manage it again:

DSC-0052.jpg

Found 5 Corsair HD 120 RGB fans with physical controler and hub so decided to go with that,along with Thermaltake PWM fan hub:

DSC-0055.jpg

Mounted the controller on the back :

DSC-0053.jpg

The stack :):

DSC-0058.jpg

Few of the fans mounted:

DSC-0059.jpg

Mostly cable managed:

DSC-0063.jpg

Finished stuff:

DSC-0068.jpg

DSC-0069.jpg

DSC-0070.jpg

DSC-0074.jpg

DSC-0075.jpg

DSC-0081.jpg

As far as peformance and aestethics go,this is what i imagined and what i like,even tho Z97 is wanted,but honestly not quite needed. Let me know what u guys think,im reaaaally happy how this thing performs.

Little update for today! :)

I wanted to do some sort of a backplate for a long time, since 750 Ti days,but never managed to get to it. 

Today i found a piece of acrylic by the side of the road ?, and tried to do it as best as i could. Tried cutting with a scalpel, which was a no go, then i took metal saw, and to my surprise i came out perfectly straight, still cant believe it. Painted it with copper spray paint, only one i had on hand, gonna paint it black later, even tho it reflects colors nicely like this,and also i used 3M double sided tipe to stick it together, it holds nicely.

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0099.JPG

I started a topic with zip tied AIO to my GPU few weeks ago, and finally got to it. Managed to mount it back then but my CPU cooler failed miserably, broken mount so that was a no go. 

Today i found a cheap oldie but a goodie, Thermaltake Big Typhoon with a 1150 bracket and since i never had a down draft cooler, i went for it, looks great, cools good,and aside the AIO i also got a new Bionix 120mm 1800 rpm fan and mounted it to cool memory chips and VRMs.  

Didnt measure VRM and memory temps, but the core hit 44c after 30 minutes of Valley on loop, 1440p max settings,which is massive improvement over 80ish C with stock Armor heatsink with stock fan curve,pretty pleased with results. Gonna leave those zip ties on for now, but will definitely make some sort of a bracket, and the backplate i made the other day now requires some modding to fit flush with the GPU because of zip tie ends. Here are some pics:

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Here we go, water cooled GPU done. Gone are the zip ties, made the mounts from AM3+ socket mounts for the AIO, welded on a bit of extra metal on the sides and screwed it in mounting holes, holds perfectly. Max temps now during Wildlands 1080p max were 39-40c. 

Also, since memory and VRMs needed some cooling i decided to ditch that 120mm fan and get a bit creative. Got inspiration from a GTX 680 Super Overclock from Gigabyte and made this shroud with 3 40mm fans. 

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

IMG_6728.jpg

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG