Can we get a general games discussion forum?

Kawaii Koneko

We have a console and PC section under games but I think it would be great if we had a section to just talk about games in general. It would be great to be able to talk about an upcoming or current game and have general discussions about it without having to associate it with console or PC.

For example,  it would be a place to just post about the new FarCry game or Cyberpunk 2077. Or maybe just talk about our favorite games from the past. If I want to make a post about the new FarCry game, where do I do that? PC or console? Unless I need to talk specifically about that version of the game, there is no reason to post in either forum. There should be a general place to just talk about the game in general.

11 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Yeah I've had this problem before where a game has been on both console and PC...and not known where to put it

Put it in whichever section is most relevant to the platform you're referring to.

Still though, not a bad suggestion.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Put it in whichever section is most relevant to the platform you're referring to.

Still though, not a bad suggestion.

Sometimes a topic isn't particularly more relevant to one or the other though. Topics such as "Best video game villain", "Was BC2 the best Battlefield?", "FO3 vs New Vegas", "Favorite BioShock game", "Your top 10 story driven games", etc or even just talk about a particular game are all very general game discussions that aren't exclusive to either section. Posting in one section or the other may leave a lot of people out of the discussion. While I'm sure many here read both the console and PC gaming sections, I'm sure many just stick to the section of their prefered platform.

I honestly like the idea. What I'd like would be:

Video Games:

• GG (General Gaming) I'll let myself out
  • PC Gaming
  • Console Gaming
  • Mobile Gaming
  • eSports
  • LFG

This is big nitpicking, but I don't like the current order of video games subforums. Just more logical to me. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

How about board games? Got any Catan players here?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

7 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Of all board games, Catan is your pick? :P

On 12/17/2018 at 4:47 AM, Cereal5 said:

I be down for a board game subforum.

Don't play Catan a whole lot now a days, but do have King of Toyko, Exploding Kittens, Unstable Unicorns, and other ones.  Gets funny though with a few military folks playing games like Munchkin, o boy, the backstabing and agreements that occur.  Hiliarious enough when playing games like One Night Werewolf with such a group.

Also, I'm down for a mobile gaming subforum as well.  FEH (Fire Emblem Heroes) is a pretty decent game without needing to drop money on it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I be down for a board game subforum.

Don't play Catan a whole lot now a days, but do have King of Toyko, Exploding Kittens, Unstable Unicorns, and other ones.  Gets funny though with a few military folks playing games like Munchkin, o boy, the backstabing and agreements that occur.  Hiliarious enough when playing games like One Night Werewolf with such a group.

Also, I'm down for a mobile gaming subforum as well.  FEH (Fire Emblem Heroes) is a pretty decent game without needing to drop money on it.

I'll be honest, I am a huge board games lover, own some, but mostly combine with what friends have. I have on few occasions tried to start a board game conversation, it died every time after few posts. Maybe people missed it because it's basically off-topic chat, but in general it's a very rare theme on this forum. Probably so rare it's not worthy of a stand alone subforum. If we got one, I wouldn't be against it though. 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:47 AM, Cereal5 said:

I play it occasionally, haven't in a while though.

I do love board games, although that would fit more onto boardgamegeek and not LTT.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

It has been considered before, but it would only really make sense if the PC/Console/Mobile sections are subforums of the main Gaming section (like how Operating Systems are organised). However, we would generally prefer to avoid subforums where possible.

It is something that we will reevaluate, but the lack of general games section is not for lack of thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/26-mobile-gaming/

HTTP/2 203

There doesn't even seem to be any deceny on this forum to discuss 'boardgames' as total war or field of glory .. or the adventures of grey wolf ( yea i know .. thats not the name ) so why even bother with another game forum if the ony game discussed is GTA V … 

Am i really talking here? 

8 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

so why even bother with another game forum if the ony game discussed is GTA V

Because of the existence of boardgamegeek.

This is a tech forum first and foremost, even with the existence of Off Topic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 7:27 PM, Kawaii Koneko said:

We have a console and PC section under games but I think it would be great if we had a section to just talk about games in general. It would be great to be able to talk about an upcoming or current game and have general discussions about it without having to associate it with console or PC.

For example,  it would be a place to just post about the new FarCry game or Cyberpunk 2077. Or maybe just talk about our favorite games from the past. If I want to make a post about the new FarCry game, where do I do that? PC or console? Unless I need to talk specifically about that version of the game, there is no reason to post in either forum. There should be a general place to just talk about the game in general.

I partally agree. If you are going to just say that a new game is going to come out, do Tech Help. Otherwise I likr the idea.