PSU good enough for build?

AYDANN6ix9ine

Hi. This is my first build but don't worry I know a pretty decent amount of PC building knowledge. I was just wondering if this PSU was enough for my build. Just to clarify, these numbers are sort of hypothetical. I'm looking at a Corsair CX550M Semi-Modular PSU and was thinking if it is enough for my build. Here are my specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM mATX

RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4 3000 16GB (2x8)

SSD: ADATA SU800 1TB 3D NAND
HDD: Not specified but possibly

Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 33 Esports Edition

Case Fans: 4 Orange LED 3-Pin Case Fans (Using splitters)

If I overclocked CPU to let's say 4.2-4.3ghz (At 1.425V) and overclock GPU from 1165-1317 (Base-Boost) to 1365-1517 and then Oc'ed RAM to just 3200mhz, will the Corsair CX550 PSU be enough to power it? Or do I have to go for something like 600+ Watts? (Yes. I know I'd have to be lucky to get those numbers). Thanks.

Yes its enough.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Earlier in the year I build this for a friend: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/TW6scf

That was with a 2600 (non-x) and a 650watt PSU and a 1060 6gb card, and it is running butter smooth.

Your system here is quite similar, as far as I know the CX550 should be a better PSU than the one I used in his build (quality wise) so I will say you are just fine, but bigger never hurts if you have the budget for it, specially for overclocking.

I see the motherboards are quite similar too, in my case it was a terrible experience at overclocking on this board, did not really get much better than the XFR2 could do on its own. VRMs are not very strong and it was finicky to adjust the timings on RAM. Maybe BIOSes have gotten better by now, I build this just a few weeks after Ryzen 2 had launched

-by the way, what case will you use? seems to be the only component missing for a full system

My Gaming PC: 27833

3 minutes ago, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

I'm using one of DIYPC's cases. It is a DIY-F2-O, a mATX Mini Tower

you already have it? i can see the Q300 I used in my friends build cost just 4-5$ more but seems to have both little better airflow and simpler layout.

ofc its a matter of taste, just think you should know

So should I use the 550W PSU. I like it because it is Semi-Modular and has sleeved black cables, which is much more appealing then a non-modular psu with ketchup and mustard cables. The flip side for Non-Modular PSU is that they are cheaper and you can get more wattage for less price. For example, you could get a Thermaltake SMART 700W Non-Modular for only $45. Which would you take?

Just now, AYDANN6ix9ine said:

So should I use the 550W PSU. I like it because it is Semi-Modular and has sleeved black cables, which is much more appealing then a non-modular psu with ketchup and mustard cables. The flip side for Non-Modular PSU is that they are cheaper and you can get more wattage for less price. For example, you could get a Thermaltake SMART 700W Non-Modular for only $45. Which would you take?

like i said, as far as i remember the CX550 is a quality wise pretty good psu so I would stick to that. quality is key when talking about psu, they last longer and give more reliable power without noise and whine