Securities Investor Protection Corp. voices concerns about new Robinhood banking service | EDIT: Now rebranded to "cash management", not "banking"

kuhnertdm

Source - Announcement of new service

Source - SIPC concerns

Robinhood, an investing startup marketed towards millenials and younger, has recently announced that they will now be providing a service for checking and savings accounts to their users. In their announcement, they assured potential users that their funds will be handled appropriately and insured correctly:

Robinhood Checking & Savings will not be insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Instead, because the product will be offered by the broker-dealer arm of the company, it will be insured by the Securities Investor Protection Corp., which covers brokerage accounts.

However, the SIPC, who Robinhood claimed would be insuring deposited funds, has issued a statement claiming otherwise:

“I disagree with the statement that these funds are protected by SIPC,” Stephen Harbeck, president and chief executive officer of SIPC, said in an interview Friday. “Had they called us, I would have told them what I just told you in that I have serious concerns about this. This has gigantic ramifications for the banking industry.”

Robinhood has been growing in popularity over the past year or so, and has also earned major concerns from the industry. The startup aims most of its advertising towards millenials and younger (through online ads and podcast/YouTuber sponsored ad reads), a population that generally does not have experience in investment, and encourages day trading of individual stocks, which is a very dangerous and risky way of investing. This most recent issue might be indicative of major problems once this new system rolls out, if Robinhood was wrong about the SIPC insuring users' funds.

I understand where they are coming from. Targeting younger audiences that don’t know much about banking is sketch. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

14 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

I understand where they are coming from. Targeting younger audiences that don’t know much about banking is sketch. 

Also a great way to make money.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

58 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Naming your banking service after a man notorious for stealing......

Yeah but stealing to give to the poor....

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Lmfao. Imagine if lowkey they hired bank robbers to rob other banks as a way to give back to their poor customers and pay them interest on savings. ?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

So a banking service that targets rich people named themselves robinhood. That seems pretty suspect to me. 

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

The full story is stealing from the rich, who stole from the poor, and giving [what was stolen from the poor] to the poor.

The "poor" that this bank would be serving haven't had anything stolen from them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The full story is stealing from the rich, who stole from the poor, and giving [what was stolen from the poor] to the poor.

The "poor" that this bank would be serving haven't had anything stolen from them.

Yet they are trying to steal from the rich. 

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

well if you pay attention to wallstreetbets most people are using their trading app to BECOME poor. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yet they are trying to steal from the rich. 

They're really not, though. Robinhood as a platform is centered around trying to get people to day trade, who should definitely not be day trading. If you're in the bracket that Robinhood is targeting, you should really be holding on a diversified investment, as it's the safest strategy for people who can't afford to lose a lot. Instead, Robinhood is really pushing the idea of investing in individual stocks, which is a lot more risky. They're being pretty irresponsible about that, for the purpose of getting more and more users.

EDIT: I should also mention that "getting more and more users" isn't really the end goal. The end goal is to either prop up numbers for a buyout, or to push their new margin trading services, which are even MORE risky than the base service, and make Robinhood a ton of money at the expense of the "poor that they're helping".

Funnily enough, I use Robinhood.

Mainly buying some AMD stocks, and have a few stocks in a local power company that has dividends. Don't care about the share price so much, I'm investing for the long term for money off of dividends. Getting rich from buying and selling stocks is the main problem with this economy and this form of capitalism.

Investing in a good company making profit and earning money from the dividends, is what should be encouraged.

The AMD stocks? That's just a bit of fun. Not putting a whole lot into it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I actually just signed up to get myself some AMD stock. Funny timing. :D

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Robin Hood feel pretty suspect. They offer 3% interest on checking accounts, yet it’s not clear where or how they are earning the money to pay you that. 

15 hours ago, kuhnerdm said:

They're really not, though. Robinhood as a platform is centered around trying to get people to day trade, who should definitely not be day trading. If you're in the bracket that Robinhood is targeting, you should really be holding on a diversified investment, as it's the safest strategy for people who can't afford to lose a lot. Instead, Robinhood is really pushing the idea of investing in individual stocks, which is a lot more risky. They're being pretty irresponsible about that, for the purpose of getting more and more users.

EDIT: I should also mention that "getting more and more users" isn't really the end goal. The end goal is to either prop up numbers for a buyout, or to push their new margin trading services, which are even MORE risky than the base service, and make Robinhood a ton of money at the expense of the "poor that they're helping".

This is why I prefer Roboinvestors like WealthSimple - you can choose between 3 levels of "risk", but all 3 levels are still very well diversified. It's automated, and they constantly reinforce the golden rule of investing - DON'T PANIC SELL WHEN THE MARKET GOES DOWN!

They also have their financial experts rebalance the portfolios every now and then when needed. (Shameless plug PM me for referral code)

12 hours ago, abazigal said:

Robin Hood feel pretty suspect. They offer 3% interest on checking accounts, yet it’s not clear where or how they are earning the money to pay you that. 

The Federal Benchmark is 2.25%, so it's possible they're just floating the 0.75% extra and paying for it with profits from investing the capital into the market. Certainly not without risk, but it is doable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, abazigal said:

The same way all banks do, investing in low risk.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

That because we have alot of banks. 

Hahahahahaha yes yes you do have a lot of banks but no that is not the reason. It is the regulation. I doubt nothings changed.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Hahahahahaha yes yes you do have a lot of banks but no that is not the reason. It is the regulation. I doubt nothings changed.

It is because we have alot of banks. How can you have alot of banks failing if you only have 2? Number if banks failing doesn't mean much unless you have a percentage. 

Update. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-15/robinhood-will-retool-checking-product-following-scrutiny

Looks like Robinhood was trying to game the system, by trying to get the benefits of a bank (deposit insurance) without the accompanying regulatory oversight. Essentially, it’s a brokerage trying to pass itself off as a bank. 

Can’t see this being approved by the authorities. It’s a package deal. You can’t have one without the other. 

1 hour ago, abazigal said:

Update. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-15/robinhood-will-retool-checking-product-following-scrutiny

Looks like Robinhood was trying to game the system, by trying to get the benefits of a bank (deposit insurance) without the accompanying regulatory oversight. Essentially, it’s a brokerage trying to pass itself off as a bank. 

Can’t see this being approved by the authorities. It’s a package deal. You can’t have one without the other. 

Wow, this is even more scummy. Instead of taking the right actions to make sure the users' money is safe and insured, they're now wiping their marketing of anything that might suggest that the money is insured like a bank account.

6 hours ago, abazigal said:

authorities

So you think "authorities" have got your back with your hard earned money in the United States?

Even after the big crash, there are some glaring holes in the system.

Big Money has got the regulators and authorities on the payroll, politicians and even the Presidents.