Personal website

HeaterUp

Hey guys,

As I head into winter break I am going to start working on a project of making my own website, unfortunately I have no front end experience, but tons of back end experience. So this is kinda me getting my foot into some front end and full stack development. Anyways my question is what languages do I need to learn to accomplish this? To give a little more background I'd like it to have several different pages like a home, a way to view my resume on another page with options of how to download it, and awards and other interesting stuff on another page all connected. Is HTML and CSS the best bet? Last thing, any videos anyone recommends for learning html and css if these are the languages.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Feel free to ask if you need more information 

html/css/javascript are pretty much the bread and butter of modern front end design. Even desktop applications are (slowly) moving that direction with things like electron apps, or even just rendering in embedded browsers on the desktop (that's what one of our solutions do at where I work).

For extra points, pick up a modern framework/library like React, Angular, or Vue. Node JS is also pretty valuable to learn in general.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

I'd start with pure HTML/CSS/JavaScript and maybe jQuery (although I recommend understanding JS first and then moving to the way simpler jQuery).

I'm not a huge fan of frameworks, although there are some good ones out there to get you started.

Maybe have a look into the one @reniat mentioned, plus Bootstrap?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Sololearn and W3Schools are good places to learn, they are where i learned html and css at, i mostly used solo learn for the learnnig and w3schools for application of what i learned to see how it will turn out without wasting space

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Go ahead and find a static site generator you want to learn. You can probably find one written in a language that you know if that makes you more comfortable. 

staticgen.com has a handy list of static site generators with which languages they use.

A static site generator is essentially a piece of software that takes some content (usually in the form of markdown, images, and other resources) applies it to a template and spits out all the html, css, and js files for your site. 

Templates are generally a mash-up of html, css and placeholder stuff. You can start from scratch with your own templates or work from templates created by others. But this is a quick and effective way to get off the ground creating a website on par with something you could create with something like Squarespace, for a lot less money  ( sorry Linus I hope this doesn't get you in trouble with your advertisers )

GitLab offers Free static site hosting for most common static site generators. The way this works is: you set up all the content and templates on your computer, you upload it to GitLab using Git, GitLab generates the site using the generator you select and puts it up. 

Don't use JavaScript unless you have a very good reason to. Just because "everyone does it" it is not a "you must have it".

Write in C.

• 2 months later...

I think coding a small single-page website from scratch in HTML/CSS/JS is a good start. This will kinda give you an initial idea how some of the main languages that go into web development work. Once you feel comfortable you could explore some frameworks like React. 

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]