Figuring out limitations in SSD memory with my Motherboard

aero36

Hello everyone, I have an Asus Z390-A motherboard with a SATA SSD from my old laptop. I salvaged an SSD and an HDD from my laptop for this, my first build. The SSD is a 250gb Samsung 850 EVO. I am thinking of adding a 500gb Samsung 970 PRO for, but I see this compatibility error on PCPartpicker:

• The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

I am wondering since it says one SATA port, but would that restriction only apply if it is also sata and not if the 970 Pro is NVMe/PCIE? Or maybe they need to both be PCIE to bypass this? Or if it is truly: Only 1 port can be used at given time, altogether. If that is the case, are there any workarounds? 

Thank you!

Links of specific parts:

MOBO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCY7K9L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Potential new storage

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-PRO-512GB-MZ-V7P512BW/dp/B07C8Y31G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544760443&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+970+pro

"bandwidth" does not care whether it is SATA or NVME.

If it says it will be disabled, it will be disabled.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So essentially my MOBO has 2 ports when it can only use 1 at a time?

24 minutes ago, aero36 said:

So essentially my MOBO has 2 ports when it can only use 1 at a time?

Yeah.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

32 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, that's valid only the m.2 SSD is a SATA drive

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah.

Do you think upgrading would be worth it and just get rid of the 250 850 evo? Is it difficult to transfer from one ssd to the other? partic the OS

Just now, bitsandpieces said:

No, that's valid only the m.2 SSD is a SATA drive

Are you saying this may be possible?

Just now, aero36 said:

Are you saying this may be possible?

it will work

I strongly suggest you read the mobo manual

1 minute ago, aero36 said:

Do you think upgrading would be worth it and just get rid of the 250 850 evo? Is it difficult to transfer from one ssd to the other? partic the OS

No, unless you're doing something that really requires NVME like video editing or something.

Spoiler