Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jonobang

do i need to reformat?

Posted · Original PosterOP

i plan on moving my old ssd to my new build with the os on it and everything, i have a new key, i just want to know if i need to wipe everything before moving it over or if i dont need to wipe it at all, google has been very back and forth on this topic so i wanna know what you guys think about it. thanks :)

PC Specs-

GPU- Sapphire R9 390 Nitro | CPU- Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz | RAM- 12 Gigs of DDR3 Ram | PSU- 850 W Gold rated EVGA Power Supply | Motherboard- Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | OS- Windows 10 Home

Best is to wipe the drive and reinstall.

There are reports that Windows 10 can do a decent job recognizing significant hardware changes and adjusting its configuration. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Best is to wipe the drive and reinstall.

There are reports that Windows 10 can do a decent job recognizing significant hardware changes and adjusting its configuration. 

so you think i could try installing without wiping and see if it works first? and if it doesnt then go back and reformat?

PC Specs-

GPU- Sapphire R9 390 Nitro | CPU- Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz | RAM- 12 Gigs of DDR3 Ram | PSU- 850 W Gold rated EVGA Power Supply | Motherboard- Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | OS- Windows 10 Home

Sure. Just make sure that you have very good backups of anything you don't want to lose BEFORE attempting the move.

Let us know how it works out.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

Sure. Just make sure that you have very good backups of anything you don't want to lose BEFORE attempting the move.

yup definitely got that done, i recently got this ssd on the new computer so i still have the files on a flash drive. the thing i mainly want to avoid is reinstalling all of my games because there over 800 gigs of games currently installed and it would be kind of a pain to have to reinstall them x.x

PC Specs-

2 minutes ago, brob said:

also as a note when i first built this older pc i moved over a old drive, same cpu, different mobo and it didnt have issues but this time its a totally new system so i didn't know if a different cpu would also make a difference which it probably will since different cpu drivers since im going from a intel based board to a amd ryzen board.

PC Specs-

11 minutes ago, jonobang said:

over 800 gigs of games currently installed and it would be kind of a pain to have to reinstall them x.x

For gaming I have found that a relatively small boot drive with all games installed on non-boot drives is most convenient.

Just install OS and game clients on boot drive and point clients to install locations on other drives.

Then when you make an image of your boot drive with Win7 backup it will be small.

You didn't mention the size of your SSD or if all your games are installed on it.

If it is a 1TB SSD Then get a small 120GB or 240GB for your boot drive and keep the 1TB SSD for game installs.

pcmasterrace2.jpg

i7-6700k

Dark Rock TF

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Corsair LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, PNY CS2211 960GB, 850 EVO 500GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 4TB

MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 4GB Armor 2X

Antec HCG M 750W

Creative Labs Z to Home Theater

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Black

BENQ GW2765HT. Samsung S22B420BW

--------------------------------------------

i3-6100

CRYORIG - C7 

ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming

ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 

DREVO X1 PRO 128GB SSD, Barracuda 1TB, PNY - CS1211 240GB

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB