Razer releases an app that will make your PC mine cryptocurrency when idle

Skanky Sylveon

Note to self, send "argh I'm on fire" rig to Razer, and see if they like a hot PC that's not earning a trade-able crypto currency.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So let me get this straight.

Razer comes up with an app that lets your computer mine crypto currency while it's idle, except they don't give YOU the crypto currency, they keep it themselves and give you "money at our store". Likely at a significantly reduced rate compared to what they're making from the crypto. Likely at a rate where no one will ever accumulate enough to actually buy something.

I have to say... it's quite ingenious.... in an evil villain kind of way. 

17 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

All they need is an island as their evil headquarters.

With a volcano.

51 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Why make trillions when we can make.......BILLIONS?! 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

So a virus miner when you're away. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

But Razer won't do such a thing! They are such a good company that definitely doesn't sell overpriced products. This has to be fake news RRRRRRR 

/s 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

23 hours ago, WereCat said:

1.) Buy Razer laptop

2.) Install SoftMiner and let it mine 24/7

3.) Wait till it breaks

4.) RMA

5.A.) RMA accepted, receive replacement, buy another Razer laptop for RazerSilver and sell it on ebay for profit

5.B.) RMA denied, go to step 1.)

6.) (optional) Dont buy anything from Razer and live happy ever after

genius

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

At the end of the day having had to threaten them with a County Court claim in the UK to replace a freaking left shift key after about 20 emails and numerous chat sessions that went nowhere, I am not in the slightest surprised.

Wonder if they are going to 'bundle' it with the mouse/keyboard software next and hide the 'I accept'  deep in their EULA?

Bunch of ripoff merchants of the n'th degree!

On 12/13/2018 at 12:21 AM, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Everything could be worse.  Razer could only allow you to receive RGB dildos in exchange for Razerbucks.

Actually, that's a great idea!  It gives a whole new meaning to screwing you over!

You see, people could probably build that cheaper and with more RGB. And with less bloat.

And with more RGB.

You do not wanna know how efficient I am with stuffing RGB strips into anything.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

12 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

You do not wanna know how efficient I am with stuffing RGB strips into anything.

Yes I do... you do knot know meh

✨FNIGE✨

On 12/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, Froody129 said:

They're not targeting us. They're targeting the 12 year old who doesn't know what crypto is and just knows that if they install this app they get free stuff. 

This is blatant manipulation of a younger customer Base, and has further soured my opinion of Razer 

Have you seen their new 'gaming' router. Always have a good chuckle when that pop up on fb. Can't believe anyone buys that trash. 

On 12/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, RorzNZ said:

This is more likely a money grabbing move that Razer are using user's PCs to mine a real digital currency and giving users a subsidised coin made by them (for nothing).

If they were really smart they'd actually give the people using it a slightly larger amount of Razer Silver(say 5%) than the program mines in crypto. Since they're locked in to Razer products from Razer's in house store that means Razer is making significantly more than that anyway from the lack of retailer margin on the products themselves.

46 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

If they were really smart they'd actually give the people using it a slightly larger amount of Razer Silver(say 5%) than the program mines in crypto. Since they're locked in to Razer products from Razer's in house store that means Razer is making significantly more than that anyway from the lack of retailer margin on the products themselves.

Currencies aren't necessarily already equivalent. They can make their own exchange. 

On 12/13/2018 at 5:43 AM, handymanshandle said:

Could be worse: could be mining vbucks for you instead

Where can i mine Vbucks?

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Currencies aren't necessarily already equivalent. They can make their own exchange. 

I realize that, my point is they make the entire system transparent, and show that the person is getting that extra 5% return at any given time. This earns them goodwill on the part of the idiots participating, when the entire situation is still completely to their advantage.

6 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

I realize that, my point is they make the entire system transparent, and show that the person is getting that extra 5% return at any given time. This earns them goodwill on the part of the idiots participating, when the entire situation is still completely to their advantage.

They don't really need to when they could be making 80% profit already. 

The fact that the razer money disappears after a year is the only bad I can see from this. Not sure what everyone's issue is.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

You see, people could probably build that cheaper and with more RGB. And with less bloat.

So you are thinking that Razer is going to put pressure and moisture sensors in their dildos?

I wonder how much advertising companies would pay for that information. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

You do not wanna know how efficient I am with stuffing RGB strips into anything

Is that a challenge?

You, me, at the nearest hotel 6 hours from now!

Bring lots of lube. ?

Update: From Min-Liang Tan's FaceBook Page:

I've been reading some misconceptions about Razer Gold and Razer Silver and I thought I'd clear it up.

Razer Gold is the world's leading virtual credit that can be used for paying for games. Razer Silver is a loyalty point system that can be used for redeeming for Razer hardware, games and much more.

So Razer Silver is like air miles for spending Razer Gold, virtual currency. 

The main way to earn Razer Silver is to spend Razer Gold. However, we wanted to find new, fun (and optional) ways for gamers to earn Razer Silver - including Paid to Play (where you rack up Razer Silver just by playing games on the PC and Mobile with Razer Cortex). We've also worked with third parties like Esports Mogul and GammaNow to allow you to earn more Razer Silver.

GammaNow is the blockchain app that runs off idle GPU power. 

I've seen complaints about Esports Mogul that gamers who aren't into esports can't earn Razer Silver there. Also, I've seen accusations that GammaNow's Softminer is a rip off.

Both probably true. They need to take their cut, some people take more than others. 

Those are all ADDITIONAL ways of earning Razer Silver - you don't need to participate in them if you don't like it. On top of that, I've seen people claiming that GammaNow's Softminer is a scam because some have "calculated" that if you mined for cryptocurrency directly, you would be able to claim for the Razer hardware faster etc. Well, all those "calculations" don't take into consideration that you're also earning Razer Silver for free in many other ways as well as while spending Razer Gold. Plus - it was never meant to be the main way to earn Razer Silver!

A long way of saying take it or leave it, after all you are earning Razer Silver from spending their other virtual currency. It's pretty funny that if you mined other crypto you'd actually get a lot more for your money - not to mention a more universal currency. 

So in short - it's really up to you how you want to earn Razer Silver - if you like a certain way like Paid to Play - by all means. Or if you enjoy esports, Esports Mogul's a great way. But if you dislike any method, you don't need to participate!

On 12/13/2018 at 4:57 AM, RorzNZ said:

This is more likely a money grabbing move that Razer are using user's PCs to mine a real digital currency and giving users a subsidised coin made by them (for nothing).

I assume their silver value is always fixed so I bet they are hoping for a nice big spike and run off with millions.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´