iPad 9.7inch 2018 or Surface Go?

iPad 9.7inch 2018 or Surface Go?

Hi i'm looking for a cheap/ish tablet that I can use to take notes within university lectures as well as start drawing digital concept sketches for my product design degree. I already have a fat laptop with a graphics card for heavy editing and solid works/CAD, but I try not to carry it around everyday when not needed so I think a small tablet would do me good.

IPad 2018 (9.7inch) 128GB: £379.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BTDKGKZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3BUFWU5O49H7F&psc=1

Surface Go- 64GB: £369.00  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-10-Inch-Tablet-PC-Processor/dp/B07FK5PKJX/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544644717&sr=8-3&keywords=surface+go

Obviously would need to buy a apple pencil for like £80 as well as thinking about buying this Logitech detachable Bluetooth keyboard:£85

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FK52DSV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Prices just all taken from amazon except apple pencil from apple (cheaper than amazon)

IPad will be faster in performance, and more easy to use (Windows is really NOT touch friendly).

Windwos on the surface Go will have NO advantage over an iPad for these kind of things, unless you "need" full-sized software on x86 basis, like your solid works / CAD stuff on the go.

taking notes: iPad > all. There are just so many more note taking apps, that are really good. If you really need something, that can be edited on your windows notebook too: Microsoft OneDrive, or MyScript Nebo. Otherwise: GoodNotes 4 (soon 5 hopefully) and Notability are 2 very strong Apps.

Sketches: There are also a few apps. Autodesk has one, but if you're willing to pay, ProCreate could be a good investment, depending on your exact use case. Keep in Mind, specifically for product design, there might be other Apps, specifically for this area.

I got myself an iPad Pro for mainly taking Notes (i do not have a keyboard, and don't plan to get one at all), and daily tablet-stuff.

Summary: The surface Go would be the better choice, if you need to use applications, that are not available on iOS, like Solidworks/CAD stuff. Otherwise (example, pure note taking), there is no advantage on Windows over iOS.

Battery Life will be (much) better on the iPad too.

In terms of the one I'd rather carry, I'd say the iPad -- it's better as a tablet, and there are plenty of creative apps for it.  I'd also be rather hesitant to buy the base Surface Go since 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage are a bit borderline for a Windows 10 tablet, although they will do the job for basic needs.  Just remember that the Type Cover keyboard is virtually mandatory for the Surface Go.

The main thing for me is software.  How much would you want it to directly integrate with the software on your laptop?  You can certainly export notes (including tools like Microsoft OneNote) and image files from an iPad -- I just want to know if you'd benefit by transferring from one Windows device to another.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comments think I will just go for the 2018 iPad

Im never one to recommend anything running iOS due to how locked down and unconfigurable it is, but for what you need if you're dead set on a tablet it's that or the Surface Book (with a kickstand case for tablet mode) in my opinion.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

For note-taking, go with the iPad. I'm using mine pretty much exclusively for that, and it's great.

• 3 months later...

Surface Go will be the only device you need to carry on the go. It has an USB C port and can con we the to external HDD/SDD/ Flash drive. It also has a port for a micro SD card. It can be used to browse full windows software and based on my experience it is powerful enough to do daily work. I run Spotify, couple of tabs on Google Chrome, while I actively take notes on OneNote. It is the correct size to be carried around all day and is the size of a notebook so you can comfortably take notes all day