NVidia Losses half of its value

exetras

According to TechCrunch

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/12/nvidia-perfect-storm/

Over the past two months, Nvidia’s stock has dropped from a closing price of $289.36 on Oct. 1 to today’s opening of $148.42, a decline of 48.8%.

It takes a lot for a company to lose nearly half its value in such a short period of time, but Nvidia is proving that an otherwise strong technology business can disappear in a blink of an eye. The company faces an almost perfect barrage of headwinds to its core products that is stalling its plans for long-term chip domination.

To step back a bit first though, Nvidia has traditionally made graphical processing units (GPUs) that are excellent at the kinds of parallel computation required for gaming and applications like computer-assisted design (CAD). It’s a durable and repeatable business, and one that Nvidia has a commanding market share in.

Personal Opinion: I always thought NVidia was over valued but this seems to be quite a dip, more than markets adjusting to the crypto crash. This crash will be interesting to follow as it might be a sign people who invested in crypto and GPU makers trying to recoup any money.

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/nvda/interactive-chart?timeframe=2y

Why would Nvidia be going down that much? The only negative new's I've heard from them is that they have had a bit of overstock. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why would Nvidia be going down that much? The only negative new's I've heard from them is that they have had a bit of overstock. 

and that RTX 2080Ti's have some problems... and that ray tracing doesn't perform that well.. 

She/Her

On 12/12/2018 at 10:43 AM, firelighter487 said:

and that RTX 2080Ti's have some problems... and that ray tracing doesn't perform that well.. 

I don’t that is the only reason their stocks went down. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/nvidia-softbank-reportedly-looking-sell-stake-setup-under-pressure-2018-12-1027803053

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They took Nvidia for a "ride". It was never worth the numbers it had been at for most of the year.

Its...the...stock...market...

Most investors are looking for a quick ROI.  They invested low, NVIDIA crested high, and its continual decline require Investors, seeking a certain ROI - to either pull and get that ROI or pull and get as close to the ROI they wanted as possible.  The stock will likely continue to fall but nothing that will cripple the company imho as their stock SOARED over the last couple years.  SOARED.

Unless they made bad investments and owe banks (took out loans) than they will be just fine.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Arguably NVIDIA was overvalued. This is a particularly large drop especially considering the time frame, but the market will likely correct and the stock will rebound a bit. Consider that their current stock price is only a bit lower than it was a year ago. And that was after an already strong year, roughly 16 months after the launch of pascal.

I mean it was just 2 and a half years ago that Nvidia stock was only valued at about 25$, at a point where they were already in a strong market position.

Capture.JPG.988aea9fff467854aa7da3b2f406f80f.JPG

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

A lot of stocks have been down, especially over at the NASDAQ. Many for a multitude of reasons.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Show of hands of who actually trades on the stock market.

Because this type of news is only relevant to them.

I actively trade tech stocks but that's about it.

they didnt meet their revenue forecast

which was already brought up before on other topic

and along with all stocks are sinking pretty much

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

I can see the 2080Ti problems causing a dip, but not that low.

In my opinion, people need to stop complaining about ray tracing performance. It's not unplayable, I don't see too much of a problem. It'll also get better, as it is a fairly new technology for consumers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can see the 2080Ti problems causing a dip, but not that high.

In my opinion, people need to stop complaining about ray tracing performance. It's not unplayable, I don't see too much of a problem. It'll also get better, as it is a fairly new technology for consumers.

The fact that people believe the 2080Ti having some issues is somehow the cause of Nvidia's stock price falling is laughable. RTX seems to be very harshly scrutinized for a feature that can be turned on/off...

yeah ok... 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In my opinion, people need to stop complaining about ray tracing performance. It's not unplayable, I don't see too much of a problem.

people with the money to buy one would probably expect better.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It'll also get better, as it is a fairly new technology for consumers.

if your argument is that it's not great now but it will get better, that means it was rushed and nvidia shouldn't have released it at the time they did, but rather when it got good enough to get decent frame rates. 

She/Her

NVIDIA implements a few new things in tech, one being a "holy grail", people mock it. AMD goes "we made a 7nm chip", people hail them as their lord and savior.

In any case, I wish people would stop posting these investor stories [line where this post no longer applies to the quoted person] ...

... because the stock market doesn't affect the company's bottom line (except maybe what they have to pay out in dividends). The valuation is just what people think the company's ownership is worth.

The only logical way the 2080Ti would be the cause of Nvidia's stock price falling would be due to its insane pricing. The whole 2000 series was dramatically overpriced and thats why I sold my shares on the 2000 series launch. Q4 Sales numbers will confirm whether or not RTX was more of a driver towards Nvidia's stock price drop.  But to say that the 2080Ti was the sole cause.... that is totally illogical. Less than 1% of gamers even considered the 1080Ti... let alone a 2080ti.

15 minutes ago, ThePD said:

The fact that people believe the 2080Ti having some issues is somehow the cause of Nvidia's stock price falling is laughable. RTX seems to be very harshly scrutinized for a feature that can be turned on/off...

Yeah, it's obviously because Apple dropped support for them.

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Markets can shrink and grow due to various and very specific, multiple and complicated reasons, only an expert can understand

Market crash? bear market?  Seems like everything thats overvalued is at risk of crashing in 2019 hopefully  not the banks again.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Show of hands of who actually trades on the stock market.

Because this type of news is only relevant to them.

Me for one.