Apple's newest Mojave release breaks support for most newer Nvidia GPUs.

Skanky Sylveon

It seems that since the release of macOS 10.14 “Mojave” newer GPUs will not work properly on the operating system. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2018/12/11/apple-turns-its-back-on-customers-and-nvidia-with-macos-mojave/amp/

Apple controls which drivers are released for its operating systems. And when Apple pushed macOS 10.14 out the door, it appears suspended support for some discrete NVIDIA GPUs. According to Apple’s website, only two aging “Mac Edition” discrete NVIDIA GPUs, the Quadro K5000 and GeForce GTX 680, are officially supported. 

A couple of aging GPUs won't cut it when it comes to GPU accelerated workloads, which is the main reason to put an Nvidia GPU in an Apple product. 

Also, there is a post on Nvidia's developer's website which summarizes what's going on as well.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043070/announcements/faq-about-macos-10-14-mojave-nvidia-drivers/

“Developers using Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting that after upgrading from 10.13 to 10.14 (Mojave) they are experiencing rendering regressions and slow performance. Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple.” 

So, it seems that Nvidia wants to help fix the issue by releasing drivers, but can't just simply release a driver without Apple's approval. 

It seems that Mac owners that rely on Nvidia GPUs for CUDA acceleration aren't happy with the change, nor should they be.

I'm honestly baffled by the change.  Is it just a bug?  If so, I would imagine that Apple would be more public about a patch coming. 

Does Apple have a beef with Nvidia?  Well, I don't see why the consumer should suffer because of that.

Is this just Apple wanting more control with what you do with your machine?  I don't see why the sudden change, unless there will be upcoming workstation releases that will have newer Nvidia GPUs, and they don't want any kind of competition from their own lineup because someone is tech savvy enough to open up their computer and replace the GPU.

This is all just speculation though. 

Either way, if you are a Mac user and rely on a newer Nvidia GPU, it's probably best if you just stick with 10.13.

Last I checked, Apple was shipping systems with Radeon GPUs because of something to do with Nvidia not wanting to let Apple mod the drivers for macOS/OSX.

Still: seriously, Apple?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Last I checked, Apple was shipping systems with Radeon GPUs because of something to do with Nvidia not wanting to let Apple mod the drivers for macOS/OSX.

I know that Apple has always preferred AMD GPUs, that would explain why.

6 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I'm honestly baffled by the change.  Is it just a bug?  If so, I would imagine that Apple would be more public about a patch coming. 

Does Apple have a beef with Nvidia?  Well, I don't see why the consumer should suffer because of that.

It is not a bug, its a result of Apple switching completely off of OpenGL for all of macOS. 

Yes, Apple does have a beef with Nvidia. After multiple GPU failures and Nvidia refusing to work with Apple on replacements or upholding their side of the contracts, Apple is not keen on working with Nvidia, probably ever again. 

AMD provides Apple with custom chips on demand at a reasonable price, or they used to. Vega 16/20 are standard parts but Apple still orders custom silicon like the Radeon Pro 555/560X which are designed around the Mac, not the Mac designed around them. Big benefits for a company like Apple. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I know that Apple has always preferred AMD GPUs, that would explain why.

That makes sense too, I've seen a lot more Macs with Radeon GPUs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I guess that means AMD wins out as the de facto choice for Hackintosh builds going forward?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

I guess that means AMD wins out as the de facto choice for Hackintosh builds going forward?

It already was. Nvidia cards were always more difficult to get working in those systems. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It is not a bug, its a result of Apple switching completely off of OpenGL for all of macOS. 

Yes, Apple does have a beef with Nvidia. After multiple GPU failures and Nvidia refusing to work with Apple on replacements or upholding their side of the contracts, Apple is not keen on working with Nvidia, probably ever again. 

AMD provides Apple with custom chips on demand at a reasonable price, or they used to. Vega 16/20 are standard parts but Apple still orders custom silicon like the Radeon Pro 555/560X which are designed around the Mac, not the Mac designed around them. Big benefits for a company like Apple. 

AMD provides custom designs at the performance/cost structure Apple pays for. That's where the hangup with Vega was. Apple got all of the first runs.

is this a move to stop hackintoshes?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

AMD GPUs still work fine, so I'd assume no. Probably a lot more to do with Apple's beef with NVIDIA

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

No, just a move to stop Nvidia GPUs from running on Macs. Apple is fully committed to AMD Graphics at this point. 

Let's be real though, how many people were actually putting Nvidia GPUs in their Macs, the last Mac that you could actually put an Nvidia GPU in was the pre trashcan Mac Pro, that is of course unless you're using an eGPU.

But if that is the case then, you'd be having to use a Mac with TB3, and there aren't really any Macs with TB3 that would benefit from an Nvidia GPU so I can't actually imagine this affecting many people at all. I mean, there's barely any apps on the Mac that actually use CUDA so why would Apple bother spending the money supporting them?

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Let's be real though, how many people were actually putting Nvidia GPUs in their Macs, the last Mac that you could actually put an Nvidia GPU in was the pre trashcan Mac Pro, that is of course unless you're using an eGPU.

But if that is the case then, you'd be having to use a Mac with TB3, and there aren't really any Macs with TB3 that would benefit from an Nvidia GPU so I can't actually imagine this affecting many people at all. I mean, there's barely any apps on the Mac that actually use CUDA so why would Apple bother spending the money supporting them?

I like how you just completely ignored people on those older systems with Nvidia cards who may have upgraded to Mojave and have no clue what the hell went wrong because they're not tech-savvy enough to. ???

(also Hackintosh but anyone capable of doing that already knows doing that with Nvidia cards is more of a pain in the ass than it's really worth)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, flibberdipper said:

I like how you just completely ignored people on those older systems with Nvidia cards who may have upgraded to Mojave and have no clue what the hell went wrong because they're not tech-savvy enough to. ???

(also Hackintosh but anyone capable of doing that already knows doing that with Nvidia cards is more of a pain in the ass than it's really worth)

I didn't, my main desktop is actually a 2009 Mac Pro with a Geforce GT120 which isn't even compatible with Mojave because it's not Metal capable, so really if it wasn't compatible they wouldn't have been able to upgrade to Mojave to start with

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

4 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I didn't, my main desktop is actually a 2009 Mac Pro with a Geforce GT120 which isn't even compatible with Mojave because it's not Metal capable, so really if it wasn't compatible they wouldn't have been able to upgrade to Mojave to start with

Gee I really don't see you mentioning them here.

image.png.4636a9a9f91be6ae2661ff5d75d007aa.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Gee I really don't see you mentioning them here.

image.png.4636a9a9f91be6ae2661ff5d75d007aa.png

That's because this update on affects people on Mojave, and very few Macs that are capable of running Mojave actually have an Nvidia GPU in them

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

9 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

That's because this update on affects people on Mojave, and very few Macs that are capable of running Mojave actually have an Nvidia GPU in them

Most people that bought external GPU docks? But this doesn't surprise me, just Apple doing Apple things.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Most people that bought external GPU docks? But this doesn't surprise me, just Apple doing Apple things.

I mentioned that in my first post.

39 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

In my opinion anyway, there arent any Macs that would benefit from an Nvidia GPU over a Radeon, purely because of the low CPU performance. The only one I think would benefit would be the iMac Pro but that comes with Vega so... Plus, like I said, very few Mac apps use CUDA anyway, most at this point are optimised for AMD

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Just another reason to not support apple. I don't know why they always want to be so limiting on upgrade paths... oh wait I know why. They want to force you into buying a new product of theirs every few years to stay relevant.

It isn't like they are offering anything of significant value over a windows machine and you pay sometimes 2x if not more for the same specs. Actually in the last 2 weeks I have seen a little over 30+ incidents with Macs and getting hit with Shlayer a-c variants. Thankfully our security measures are able to handle these, but we are seeing that more and more items are being targeted at Macs. So they aren't even really less prone to viruses now.

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

. I don't know why they always want to be so limiting on upgrade paths... oh wait I know why. They want to force you into buying a new product of theirs every few years to stay relevant.

Alternatively, there aren't enough Nvidia users on OSX to justify supporting Nvidia cards anymore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Alternatively, there aren't enough Nvidia users on OSX to justify supporting Nvidia cards anymore.

Probably because they control the drivers and support of what cards you can use. If they opened up the platform more to work with Nvidia cards across the board then I have a feeling you would see many more of them.

"Created for professionals and creatives" ?

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Probably because they control the drivers and support of what cards you can use. If they opened up the platform more to work with Nvidia cards across the board then I have a feeling you would see many more of them.

They have no obligation to open the platform.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.