5.1 audio through SPDIF optical, Windows volume control.

Vanguard

Hi.

I have a soundbar with rear speakers, which can only be connected with an optical SPDIF cable.

With the onboard audio, the only way to get surround sound, with 5.1 AC3, is by enabling passthrough. Enabling passthrough disables the Windows volume control.

I find this annoying, so I wonder whether a USB soundcard, with Dolby Digital Live, would allow me to listen to 5.1 AC3 audio without enabling passthrough, and letting me control the volume with the windows master volume control?

8 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Hi.

I have a soundbar with rear speakers, which can only be connected with an optical SPDIF cable.

With the onboard audio, the only way to get surround sound, with 5.1 AC3, is by enabling passthrough. Enabling passthrough disables the Windows volume control.

I find this annoying, so I wonder whether a USB soundcard, with Dolby Digital Live, would allow me to listen to 5.1 AC3 audio without enabling passthrough, and letting me control the volume with the windows master volume control?

I use a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card to pipe encoded 5.1 over optical to my home AVR, partly because I don't want the HDMI connected since the PC sees the AVR or TV as a second monitor which I don't want to use most of the time, and partly because Creative's control panel lets you set up fake surround for stereo sources so I get fuller sound from my home theater setup. 

If I run the sound over HDMI - true multi-channel sources like blu ray or dvd rips will play their 5.1/7.1 correctly, but stereo stuff only comes out of FL and FR (which is technically accurate for what it is).

As far as Windows volume control - when using the Sound Blaster's DTS Connect or DDL to put out 5.1 over optical, the sound control doesn't work because it is set to adjust whatever the default output device is, which in this case can be output interfaces only, 'Speakers', 'SPDIF Digital Out', etc where the only volume slider that affects volume is one called 'What You Hear' in the Creative control panel. I have not yet figured out a way to link the Windows volume slider to that adjustment.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

The answer is yes. The volume control only works on pcm.  So you could change the volume in pcm, and then dolby digital live will change the pcm to dolby digital. The issue then is if the original file had dolby digital, then you are encoding lossy audio again with lossy compression. So somewhat needless quality loss.