Synology/Intel Atom experts?

I'm looking for a rack mountable NAS to be a general file depository, PLEX server, and NVR; right now I'm eyeing up a Synology RS1219+ but have a few questions.

Synology RS1219+

1) Is the Atom C2538 really enough to run plex on 2-3 devices? Right now It's all 1080, but 4k video files are certainly coming so I want the power to handle that.

2) Does anyone have any experience with using a Synology NAS as an NVR? Is this really the best way to go, or should I look at a dedicated NVR?

3) *Dumb Question Alert* This is an 8 bay NAS, can I populate five or six of the bays right away, then populate the remaining slots in the future as needed, or will this cause issues with the RAID configuration. I'm currently thinking RAID6 but I'm no expert, so if that's dumb I can move to something else. 

Thanks in advance for the advice!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm looking for a rack mountable NAS to be a general file depository, PLEX server, and NVR; right now I'm eyeing up a Synology RS1219+ but have a few questions.

Synology RS1219+

1) Is the Atom C2538 really enough to run plex on 2-3 devices? Right now It's all 1080, but 4k video files are certainly coming so I want the power to handle that.

2) Does anyone have any experience with using a Synology NAS as an NVR? Is this really the best way to go, or should I look at a dedicated NVR?

3) *Dumb Question Alert* This is an 8 bay NAS, can I populate five or six of the bays right away, then populate the remaining slots in the future as needed, or will this cause issues with the RAID configuration. I'm currently thinking RAID6 but I'm no expert, so if that's dumb I can move to something else. 

Im no expert, but from what i have seen in LTT videos I sincerely doubt an intel atom will be enough for ingesting 4K video

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, Grockle88 said:

Im no expert, but from what i have seen in LTT videos I sincerely doubt an intel atom will be enough for ingesting 4K video

This is kinda what I was thinking too :(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Might be a good idea to read up on some reviews on this diskstation :) 

https://nascompares.com/synology-rs1219-nas-review/   <-- this one has a ton of info on this model.

2) Not personally, and you'll need a ton of disk space if you want 24/7 recording. Surveillance station is supposedly pretty nice though.

3) SHR will allow you to expand your array to my knowledge, so use that instead of the traditional RAID levels

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Don't buy this. There is a design failure inside the CPU which lead to a defect. 

Really? Well that is interesting.

New plan!

What are the thoughts on QNAP?

I see they offer some reasonably (lol, I know) priced options using Ryzen CPUs, which should be more than enough for what I want to do.

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-877xu

Ryzen 3 1200, I'd buy the 4gb model I think, then add more memory as if needed. 

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Ryzen 3 1200, I'd buy the 4gb model I think, then add more memory as if needed. 

That's pretty insane. Go for it, lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

That's pretty insane. Go for it, lol.

I cant imagine anything I'd want to do in my home that would need more power than this provides. 

There aren't a ton of options between Atoms and Xeons or these with Ryzen, it seems. 

21 hours ago, James Evens said:

Don't buy this. There is a design failure inside the CPU which lead to a defect. 

the new models have been fixed?

On 12/12/2018 at 7:09 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

) Is the Atom C2538 really enough to run plex on 2-3 devices? Right now It's all 1080, but 4k video files are certainly coming so I want the power to handle that.

Do you want to transcode? If yes, it won't be great, but these use the igpu aswell so it will be a good amount better than just using the cpu. If you aren't using transcoding, the is more than enough cpu power.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the new models have been fixed?

Do you want to transcode? If yes, it won't be great, but these use the igpu aswell so it will be a good amount better than just using the cpu. If you aren't using transcoding, the is more than enough cpu power.

I've been informed that this CPU is really not enough to do the transcoding. I'm now considering a QNAP with a Ryzen 3 1200.

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I've been informed that this CPU is really not enough to do the transcoding. I'm now considering a QNAP with a Ryzen 3 1200.

It has a igpu that synology, but its fine for some transcoding. It will probably handle OPs needs fine.