Read Before Posting Pop-up

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I think most people for whom this is a problem would end up just dismissing it without reading anyway, so I don't think this would help unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Is there anything that actively prevents someone from posting in the classifieds section when they are belo w 100 posts?

Yes

Might be a bit trivial, but maybe there can be a pop-up that prompts the user if they have read the sub-forum rules. I am mainly looking at Hot Deals and Classifieds, but it can be used for others. I know that the posting guidelines are pinned to their respective sub-forum, but most users are probably trigger happy, and just click "Start New Top." The guidelines are also not seen if the user creates a post via the "Create" button on the top right of the forum.

EDIT: I just realized something: How many people actually read the terms of conditions of anything?

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s

Is there anything that actively prevents someone from posting in the classifieds section when they are belo w 100 posts?

Also I'm pretty sure you're ragging on the gag post that was just dropped in the Hot Deals subforum about the Titan V. Meme taken too far lol.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Is there anything that actively prevents someone from posting in the classifieds section with below 100 posts?

Not sure.

Just now, fasauceome said:

Also I'm pretty sure you're ragging on the gag post that was just dropped in the Hot Deals subforum about the Titan V. Meme taken too far lol.

Exactly. It just makes unnecessary work for the mods.

I think most people for whom this is a problem would end up just dismissing it without reading anyway, so I don't think this would help unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yes

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Agreed, that came to mind after I posted this. I figured I might as well keep it live to see what people think.

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Agreed, that came to mind after I posted this. I figured I might as well keep it live to see what people think.

There are bunch of users who also just dump posts to GD when they know very well where they should be posted. People are lazy and selfish a-holes in the end.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

35 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Might be a bit trivial, but maybe there can be a pop-up that prompts the user if they have read the sub-forum rules. I am mainly looking at Hot Deals and Classifieds, but it can be used for others. I know that the posting guidelines are pinned to their respective sub-forum, but most users are probably trigger happy, and just click "Start New Top." The guidelines are also not seen if the user creates a post via the "Create" button on the top right of the forum.

EDIT: I just realized something: How many people actually read the terms of conditions of anything?

A popup would get annoying as hell. A better solution would just be the first time you frequent a section you basically are taken to the rules, then asked a random question from those rules and once answered it assigns a flag to your account so you can access those forums.

Not a hard thing to do overall just need someone who is willing to take the time to implement it. I am assuming the people that run these forums are able to pull this off.

In the end though it is every users responsibility to read the rules. If they don't and get disciplined and/or banned for it then that is on them.

35 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

The guidelines are also not seen if the user creates a post via the "Create" button on the top right of the forum.

I'm willing to bet this is why people see the forum as LinusTechSupport more than anything. There are so many accounts that have only ever asked one or a few tech support questions then abandon the forum.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I'm willing to bet this is why people see the forum as LinusTechSupport more than anything. There are so many accounts that have only ever asked one or a few tech support questions then abandon the forum.

They should just create a support section and allow some of us to get a percentage of the cash from it.

I would be more than willing to field some of the complex issues for about $70/hr.

22 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

A popup would get annoying as hell. A better solution would just be the first time you frequent a section you basically are taken to the rules, then asked a random question from those rules and once answered it assigns a flag to your account so you can access those forums.

Not that bad of an idea. Not sure how much backend work needs to be done to implement it.

21 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

At least for me, this is the reason why I was brought to the forums in the first place. Most tech forums are like this but it also has a community that discusses other thinks outside of the daily tech problems.

18 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

They should just create a support section

You mean the Troubleshooting subforum?

18 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I would be more than willing to field some of the complex issues for about $70/hr.

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but this is why people go to tech forums: so that they don't have to pay someone to solve their problems.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Typo

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Not that bad of an idea. Not sure how much backend work needs to be done to implement it.

At least for me, this is the reason why I was brought to the forums in the first place. Most tech forums are like this but it also has a community that discusses other thinks outside of the daily tech problems.

You mean the Troubleshooting subforum?

I'm not sure if you are joking ro not, but this is why people go to tech forums: so that they don't have to pay someone to solve their problems.

I am and I'm not. I think they should put in a paid support area for premium support. The people resolving issues get an 80% cut an the other 20% counts as an auto contribution to the Linus Group.

It is true that people come to these forums for free support, but they also get a bunch of noise and false information from them too. So having a paid support area of only people who have been vetted does have a place IMO. I mean when I did contract work I was being billed out at 150/hr plus. So I think 40-50/hr is fair for a support area (for $50 that would be $40 to me and $10 to LTT for every hour of support offered),

Plus to be honest the way I help on this forum rarely takes more than a few minutes of my time. I doubt most issues would be more than an hr of support time. It would have a seriously big and complex problem to go past an hour. It wouldn't be an active clock type thing. More of a how much time did I spend helping thing... so a few minutes here, few minutes there.

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am and I'm not. I think they should put in a paid support area for premium support. The people resolving issues get an 80% cut an the other 20% counts as an auto contribution to the Linus Group.

It is true that people come to these forums for free support, but they also get a bunch of noise and false information from them too. So a having a paid support area of only people who have been vetted does have a place IMO. I mean when I did contract work I was being billed out at 150/hr plus. So I think 40-50/hr is fair for a support area (for $50 that would be $40 to me and $10 to LTT for every hour of support offered),

I don't want to derail the topic too much. This sounds like it would accumulate quick since troubleshooting over a forum, or video conference would be difficult and would take some time since the user is the one doing the actual labor.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I don't want to derail the topic too much. This sounds like it would accumulate quick since troubleshooting over a forum, or video conference would be difficult and would take some time since the user is the one doing the actual labor.

Tell you what. For only 6 easy payments of $19.99 I will give you 2 unlimited length support sessions!

I have seen it done in other places that are similar to a forum set up. It just required the person on the support side to log the actual time they were spending. With a minimum bill time of an Hr to the client. So if I was sent something and it took me 2 minutes to research and 3 minutes to type it up that would account for 5 minutes of the time.

Anyways this isn't something I expect to ever happen here. I just think that the mod team does a good enough job to police these forums that added measures don't need to be taken. If you break the rules regardless if you read them or not then you risk the consequences that come with it.

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Tell you what. For only 6 easy payments of $19.99 I will give you 2 unlimited length support sessions!

I have seen it done in other places that are similar to a forum set up. It just required the person on the support side to log the actual time they were spending. With a minimum bill time of an Hr to the client. So if I was sent something and it took me 2 minutes to research and 3 minutes to type it up that would account for 5 minutes of the time.

That might be cheaper than Geek Squad. I had a broken laptop years ago and they wanted to charge me $80 just to diagnose what was wrong with it, then I would have to pay for the repair.

I didn't know an online service already existed. Usually it's something like the RMA process where they talk you through the basic troubleshooting procedures, and it doesn't work, they tell you to ship it to them.

Also, why do I have a feeling if this would be implemented, it would be cheaper to outsource the tech support?

13 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

That might be cheaper than Geek Squad. I had a broken laptop years ago and they wanted to charge me $80 just to diagnose what was wrong with it, then I would have to pay for the repair.

I didn't know an online service already existed. Usually it's something like the RMA process where they talk you through the basic troubleshooting procedures, and it doesn't work, they tell you to ship it to them.

Also, why do I have a feeling if this would be implemented, it would be cheaper to outsource the tech support?

Always cheaper to outsource, but the quality of that support is always sub-par and the customer experience is terrible. How many times have you talked to someone outside of your country for tech support? They are harder to understand and give you scripted crap, because they aren't paid for their knowledge just for the ability to read a script of steps. That is why they are cheaper options. Now once you get escalated a few times and you are ready to snap on someone, that is when the people are getting decent pay.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

How many times have you talked to someone outside of your country for tech support?

Too often. Usually it's for something easy, some are experienced enough to answer off script. From my experience with technical questions, and I'm not sure if Corsair outsources their support (they had a light accent), but they did a relatively good job answering my questions. Might have just lucked out.

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Too often. Usually it's for something easy, some are experienced enough to answer off script. From my experience with technical questions, and I'm not sure if Corsair outsources their support (they had a light accent), but they did a relatively good job answering my questions. Might have just lucked out.

When I need to call in on a tech related support item I tend to go heavy on the acronyms until they are confused enough they escalate me. I have run in to issues where they want you to go through their tech support before they will give you an RMA numbers. Then you have your normal ISP calls, etc...

Either way lvl 1 support is something I get through as fast as possible. I have found they (at least in my case) are a complete waste of time.

13 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

They should just create a support section and allow some of us to get a percentage of the cash from it.

Troubleshooting.

13 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

You gotta be joking, right? Even the moderators aren't paid.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Troubleshooting.

You gotta be joking, right? Even the moderators aren't paid.

Sounds like you need an Advocacy group :-D

22 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

How many people actually read the terms of conditions of anything?

i always do, except if it is 80 pages like everything else, but on here i do cuz i dont wanna be banned

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧