Upgrading to RTX 2070 - Should I change my PSU?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently upgrading my GPU from a GTX 970 to a RTX 2070, and wanted to know if I should/must change my PSU.

My PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k (working at 4.7GHz)

RAM: 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000MHz

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 970

MOBO: MSI Z370-A Pro
PSU: Corsair CX500 (80+ Bronze)

I did some research and noticed people sayin' that 500W would be fine, while others said that 650W was the safe way to go.

Should I spend some cash and grab a newer and better PSU?

Thanks!

It wouldn't hurt but you don't have to get it right away, though it is recommended so your currant PSU isn't at a full load all the time.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

You don't have to but obviously it'd be ideal/suggested that you did, and it ain't even about the wattage, 550w is all you need, but you know power supplies have come a long way in safety and reliability and your current PSU just lacks these desirable features.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You should, not because of the wattage but because a CX500 is pretty inadequate for an expensive build like that.

I'd recommend a RM650i because it's semi-fanless (fanless until 400W), is compatible with Corsair ICUE/Corsair Link (so you can see things like wattage and amps consumed, efficiency, etc) and has plenty of room for upgrades. In terms of PSU quality, it's Tier 1 (or Tier A if you use LienusLateTips's list) and 80+ Gold.

An EVGA G2 would also do well, although it lacks the Corsair Link/iCUE functionality it's still fantastic.

If those two units are not available, I would suggest looking on the PSU Tier list (again, by LienusLateTips):

I hope this helps!

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

34 minutes ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

It wouldn't hurt but you don't have to get it right away, though it is recommended so your currant PSU isn't at a full load all the time.

34 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You don't have to but obviously it'd be ideal/suggested that you did, and it ain't even about the wattage, 550w is all you need, but you know power supplies have come a long way in safety and reliability and your current PSU just lacks these desirable features.

Thank you guys for your time and help. I really appreciate it!

It seems I can't scape from that expense, and the reasons are pretty fair.

18 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

You should, not because of the wattage but because a CX500 is pretty inadequate for an expensive build like that.

I'd recommend a RM650i because it's semi-fanless (fanless until 400W), is compatible with Corsair ICUE/Corsair Link (so you can see things like wattage and amps consumed, efficiency, etc) and has plenty of room for upgrades. In terms of PSU quality, it's Tier 1 (or Tier A if you use LienusLateTips's list) and 80+ Gold.

An EVGA G2 would also do well, although it lacks the Corsair Link/iCUE functionality it's still fantastic.

If those two units are not available, I would suggest looking on the PSU Tier list (again, by LienusLateTips):

I hope this helps!

Thank you a lot for that list!

Unfortunately things down here are pretty expensive, so I can't afford most of those high tier PSUs. )):

Do you guys think that this model could fit the case (from the perspective that I'm lookin' more to safety than wattage)?

9 minutes ago, nkzr4 said:

Thank you a lot for that list!

Unfortunately things down here are pretty expensive, so I can't afford most of those high tier PSUs. )):

Do you guys think that this model could fit the case (from the perspective that I'm lookin' more to safety than wattage)?

Never heard of that model and I can't find reviews on it. The RM550x from Corsair though is the cheapest PSU I'd recommend (and it should cost less, despite it being 550w instead of 650w and not having corsair link/icue)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 minutes ago, nkzr4 said:

?

The Gigabyte G750H is a bit dated and not the best 80+ Gold out there but it's also considerably superior to your current PSU, if budget wise this has the most appealing price you could go with it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)