3d modeling

LukeSavenije

Just a stupid question, is there anyone around here that is good with 3d moddeling?

I'm not asking to do it for me, but I have some stuff to do for school with a 3dprinter. I should get solidworks in a while, but for now I keep it on free programs (using SketchUp with an extention rn)

any tips?

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

what exactly you need suggestions for...? o_o

well, I have a project for economics, it's kind of a fun project and we chose to make things on order. A teacher asked us to make some kind of a outlet for his dimming screen. And I'm the one that has to draw it, because I am the most tech savvy in my group. anything else you need to know?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

I'm the one that has to draw it, because I am the most tech savvy in my group. anything else you need to know?

Use Fusion360 to draw it. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I use Fusion360 for my 3D print related modeling.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Use Fusion360 to draw it. 

Just now, tikker said:

I use Fusion360 for my 3D print related modeling.

yeah, I was already looking into it. do I need to go to my heavier pc or can I stay on my i3 pc?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, I was already looking into it. do I need to go to my heavier pc or can I stay on my i3 pc?

Depends on the model size and complexity I think. I've only used it on my 7700k desktop, but just give it a shot I'd say. If it's too laggy, you can always switch.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Depends on the model size and complexity I think. I've only used it on my 7700k desktop, but just give it a shot I'd say. If it's too laggy, you can always switch.

it could be me, but when I try to get a licence, they just go back to the top of the page. I've followed everything that they wrote down in a document. Is it fine if I keep it on sketchup for now? I'm still going to get solidworks from school in a while. I just wanted to start a bit already in a free program

1 minute ago, Turretgaming said:

use blender 3d or inventor by autodesk both are great and blender is free so thats always a plus

how would blender be for 3d printing? and do I have to switch to my better desktop, or can I do that on my i3 desktop?

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it could be me, but when I try to get a licence, they just go back to the top of the page. I've followed everything that they wrote down in a document. Is it fine if I keep it on sketchup for now? I'm still going to get solidworks from school in a while. I just wanted to start a bit already in a free program

As long as you can get it to an STL file to feed to a slicer, any program you like will do. Yeah I do remember Fusion360 being a bit fiddly to get it. I think I just said student/personal use (whatever the option was).

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

how would blender be for 3d printing? and do I have to switch to my better desktop, or can I do that on my i3 desktop?

Blender's prettly light, the downside is that it's a bit harder, in my experience, to use for things that require exact measurements, as it's not really made for that.

Just now, tikker said:

As long as you can get it to an STL file to feed to a slicer, any program you like will do. Yeah I do remember Fusion360 being a bit fiddly to get it. I think I just said student/personal use (whatever the option was).

Blender's prettly light, the downside is that it's a bit harder, in my experience, to use for things that require exact measurements, as it's not really made for that.

I have an extention added to it that can import and exports STL files. I registered it for student use, but the button just doesn't work. probebly problems with the website. Yeah, then I might use it for some others, but here I kinda need exact measurements

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah go have a look at getting a 3-year student license https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators

yeah, they are having problems with their websites

do you know what filetypes your 3D slicer accepts? off my head all does STL, so check if Blender can export an STL file natively (if it doesn't it'll need a plugin)

they told me it accepts STL

Btw, I have the controller physically, so I can measure it if needed. I'll wait a while with blender, as I'm still drawing inside sketchup rn. But when I'm done, I'll look into blender and learn it a bit first. But as said, I'm getting solidworks from school in I assume a couple weeks. So it won't be that bad to use a minimalistic program for the first orders. 

just ask away if you need help with figuring out small details

Reveal hidden contents

GzjHRDel.png

3MbSnptl.png

PWBRpe2l.png

QVcg5ktl.png

EjGF9kol.png

gem3R41l.png

ULSJlQjl.png

QMQJVnUl.jpg

gF9duIgl.jpg

r4NgUedl.jpg

AHwyGdal.jpg

8s2eGI9l.jpg

E3EUnC9l.png

well, if you know somewhere where I can find a better base for a build-on outlet, that would be nice

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i ran Fusion very fluid on a I7 first gen with a 680 GTX a 6 years video card. Fusion is not that demanding. As comparaison this system did not run well at all Solidworks 2015. Obviously the lack of a Quadro didn't help.

11 minutes ago, Franck said:

i ran Fusion very fluid on a I7 first gen with a 680 GTX a 6 years video card. Fusion is not that demanding. As comparaison this system did not run well at all Solidworks 2015. Obviously the lack of a Quadro didn't help.

Yeah, my main system is a 8600k with a 1070 ti, that should hold up, right?

Just now, James Evens said:

You can do everything on a i3. If you want to keep performance high read about what you should not do with autodesk software. Even a workstation xeon is slow at some point with this software.

Solidworks or NX is better but there is no free version available.

Yeah, school has some licences for solidworks, but they are busy with getting one for me rn, so I have to wait a while for it

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

Yeah, my main system is a 8600k with a 1070 ti, that should hold up, right?

Fusion yes and very very easily.

Solidworks it depends. it's very picky driver wise. You have to screw around the registry to allow non quadro card to work. Easy to find on the web.

19 minutes ago, Franck said:

Fusion yes and very very easily.

Solidworks it depends. it's very picky driver wise. You have to screw around the registry to allow non quadro card to work. Easy to find on the web.

hm... I'll take a look. the Fusion website is still not working...

Just now, VegetableStu said:

not sure about that ,_, sorry

well, I've created something now, but my sketchup is crashing for around 20 minutes now. and my cpu is still pinned at 3,3 ghz. So I assume it's still doing something

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is it your second PC in your rig? o_o if you have the time, try porting the 1070 over for the time being? (not sure if the HP PSU might be able to handle a 1070...?)

one: that psu doesn't even have a 6+2 or 8 pin pci cable. two: I'm not going to risk it. three: It's fully working downstairs, I just use that second rig for school, so I was busy on it. for solidworks and future sketchup projects I'm just going to use my gaming rig

Just now, VegetableStu said:

oh okay ._. i guess gotta bear with it for now

yep. I don't mind. I'll just leave it there for another 2 hours and see what it did. Sketchup still has autosafe built in, so not much to lose. also, the thing looks cool for an hp