H500 PC Running Hot (& Fan Setup Questions)

mohrcowbell

Alright, so I just built a new PC and I've had it for about a week. Here are the specs:

Ryzen 2600 with stock AMD cooler. Not overclocked.

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

G.Skill TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

EVGA 650W PSU

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080

NZXT H500 - 2 120mm fans (1 top 1 rear) for exhaust, 2 140mm fans front for intake

So I've noticed the PC runs fairly hot. Or what I think is hot. I haven't really been able to find what's normal for the Ryzen 2600 tbh.

On idle and low load, I'm at about 45-55 degrees Celsius on the CPU. Under load it gets up to 60-75. Stress testing puts me over 80. Gaming varies, but it's usually 60-70. GPU gets to 60+ on some games.

To me these temps seem very hot. I know the H500 already doesn't have amazing airflow, but even with all the fans cranked to full it still runs warm. 

So my questions are; 

-Would I benefit from a AIO cooler, and if so, should I go for a single fan 120/140 or for a double 240 or 280? 

-Or would I benefit from changing the fan setup? Adding a 140mm in the top slot for example. Or changing around any fans.

-Or are these temps acceptable and should I not worry too much?

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should add that I have re-seated the cooler multiple times, using Arctic Silver 5 paste. Results haven't changed, as far as I can tell.

Edited by mohrcowbell

13 minutes ago, mohrcowbell said:

Your case just has no real airflow, take off the side panel and front panel, then check the tempature difference.

I would have said to get a case with a mesh front

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

58 minutes ago, mohrcowbell said:

Alright, so I just built a new PC and I've had it for about a week. Here are the specs:

Ryzen 2600 with stock AMD cooler. Not overclocked.

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

G.Skill TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

EVGA 650W PSU

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080

NZXT H500 - 2 120mm fans (1 top 1 rear) for exhaust, 2 140mm fans front for intake

So I've noticed the PC runs fairly hot. Or what I think is hot. I haven't really been able to find what's normal for the Ryzen 2600 tbh.

On idle and low load, I'm at about 45-55 degrees Celsius on the CPU. Under load it gets up to 60-75. Stress testing puts me over 80. Gaming varies, but it's usually 60-70. GPU gets to 60+ on some games.

To me these temps seem very hot. I know the H500 already doesn't have amazing airflow, but even with all the fans cranked to full it still runs warm. 

So my questions are; 

-Would I benefit from a AIO cooler, and if so, should I go for a single fan 120/140 or for a double 240 or 280? 

-Or would I benefit from changing the fan setup? Adding a 140mm in the top slot for example. Or changing around any fans.

-Or are these temps acceptable and should I not worry too much?

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should add that I have re-seated the cooler multiple times, using Arctic Silver 5 paste. Results haven't changed, as far as I can tell.

what is the room temperature and doesnt your case support

3 * 120 fans front.

2 * 120 fans top

1 * 120 fan rear

7 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Your case just has no real airflow, take off the side panel and front panel, then check the tempature difference.

I would have said to get a case with a mesh front

Yeah the case is one thing I unfortunately did not do a huge amount of research on beforehand. The front panel cannot come off, however there is a temperature drop when I take the side panel off. (Can get an exact difference later if you want)

6 hours ago, bebejapes said:

what is the room temperature and doesnt your case support

3 * 120 fans front.

2 * 120 fans top

1 * 120 fan rear

Room temperature around 25C. No my case only supports

2*120/140 front

1* 120/140 top

1*120 rear

NZXT H500

oaky so if only cpu you will need at least 140 aio for exhaust place it on top while the front are intakes and back are exhaust 

10 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

oaky so if only cpu you will need at least 140 aio for exhaust place it on top while the front are intakes and back are exhaust 

There is basically no intake, the best option is likely going with positive pressure, and putting intake fans on every mesh part of the case, or just running with the side panel off.

Or drilling out the rivets in the front panel and adding airflow to it for intake.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

There is basically no intake, the best option is likely going with positive pressure, and putting intake fans on every mesh part of the case, or just running with the side panel off.

Or drilling out the rivets in the front panel and adding airflow to it for intake.

thats kinda true but still it would spoil the case of no intake.

Could partially be cheap thermal paste on AMD’s part. My 1600 runs with a .6Ghz overclock, and I have never seen it jump above 45C, but this is with an AIO Cooler. 

1 minute ago, PunDaddy said:

Could partially be cheap thermal paste on AMD’s part. My 1600 runs with a .6Ghz overclock, and I have never seen it jump above 45C, but this is with an AIO Cooler. 

It's not a real issue until you're pushing 90C

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, PunDaddy said:

whats a .6?

1 minute ago, bebejapes said:

whats a .6?

A stock Ryzen runs at 3.2Ghz. I have overclocked mine to run 3.85Ghz stable an increase of roughly 0.6Ghz 

1 minute ago, PunDaddy said:

A stock Ryzen runs at 3.2Ghz. I have overclocked mine to run 3.85Ghz stable an increase of roughly 0.6Ghz 

ahh now that makes sense to me.

Did you over clock using the multiplier without adding extra voltage?

5 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

ahh now that makes sense to me.

Did you over clock using the multiplier without adding extra voltage?

I think my voltage I slightly boosted, but doesn’t exceed the max recommended voltage by AMD. A 1600 is essential a 1600x. Which both are essentially 1800x. they just have 2 cores shut off via firmware.

6 minutes ago, PunDaddy said:

I think my voltage I slightly boosted, but doesn’t exceed the max recommended voltage by AMD. A 1600 is essential a 1600x. Which both are essentially 1800x. they just have 2 cores shut off via firmware.

hahaha i wanted to buy a 1800x for my x470 but then yet again its a bit much

I get the feels. I bought a 1600, so I could buy a 1080 gpu XD

Just now, PunDaddy said:

I get the feels. I bought a 1600, so I could buy a 1080 gpu XD

well to be fair i was running a rx580 black edition on a R1200 no issue

Temps look normal. They aren't near what is considered hot (over 80C).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I may try flipping the rear or top fan around to see if I can get some kind of positive pressure. But even then, there's not many places for air to leave. The case looks amazing but I think I should have gone with something else hahah

If I pick up an AIO, wouldn't putting it exhausting on the top pull all the hot air from my motherboard and GPU into the radiator?

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Temps look normal. They aren't near what is considered hot (over 80C).

This is good to hear. I still don't like high temps though. I will probably end up picking up some liquid cooling.

9 hours ago, PunDaddy said:

I re-seated the cooler with Arctic Silver 5, so this shouldn't be an issue. The stock cooler isn't great though.

14 minutes ago, mohrcowbell said:

If I pick up an AIO, wouldn't putting it exhausting on the top pull all the hot air from my motherboard and GPU into the radiator? 

GPU would lack airflow in that case, you could just put one fan on where the exhaust would normally be, and mount a fan to the PCI-e brackets on the back to feed into the GPU
815523314_PCI-efan1.jpg.8b9591e7a1f05d568a12c940c4db44a0.jpg

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

GPU would lack airflow in that case, you could just put one fan on where the exhaust would normally be, and mount a fan to the PCI-e brackets on the back to feed into the GPU

That is actually a good idea, I will look into doing that! Thank you