FSP PSU with a 20 pin, but has sata and pcie???

itsamee

I bought a PC of one of my friends as we both build and sell them.

I recently bought a Medion PC which had a first gen i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB and a GT something.

It has this FSP400-60EMDN that came with it, the motherboard connector only has 20 pins? But the PSU also has a 6 pin PCIE and sata connectors which is what confuses me?

Is this common with Medion PCs or? O_O

Back in the day you had the choice of power supplies with 20 pin main connectors or 24pin main connectors (or, if you were lucky, the 20+4 pin that you see today).

This was obviously a 20 pin variant. 

Sata and PCIe are old technologies. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Back in the day you had the choice of power supplies with 20 pin main connectors or 24pin main connectors (or, if you were lucky, the 20+4 pin that you see today).

This was obviously a 20 pin variant. 

Ahh, thought the 20 pin was only for the ancient IDE days before SATA was introduced lol

Is there any way I can make the +4 or am I out of luck with this one? :S

1 minute ago, itsamee said:

Ahh, thought the 20 pin was only for the ancient IDE days before SATA was introduced lol

I mean... you CAN make the extra 4 pin in you're willing to jerry rig it. 

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

You'd just need to open up the PSU and grab a 3.3V wire, then grab the 12V, 5V, and Ground from one of the molex connectors, then shove them all into the sockets on the motherboard. The correct way would be to buy the correct 4 pin connector. The easy way would be to find a broken power supply and cut the 4 pin off of it The jerry rigged way would be to literally tape the wires into the sockets on the mobo (I don't... suggest this.)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can get a 20 pin to 24 pin converter.

Really? Does it just split some cables?

8 minutes ago, itsamee said:

OP, this is what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Nippon-Labs-POW-09206-6-Inches-Extension/dp/B00CX6W7P0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544576368&sr=8-4&keywords=24+pin+to+20+pin+adapter

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The extra pins are 12V, 5V, 3.3V, and ground, so yeah.

While searching for the above, I found this. How freaking hilarious (and useless) is this? 

https://www.amazon.com/6in-Pin-Motherboard-Power-Adapter/dp/B0002GRQRW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544576368&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=24+pin+to+20+pin+adapter&psc=1

I mean, could you not just... you know.... cut off the extra pins? (Yes, you can, I've done it before.) Also, the very large amount of the time you can still plug a 24 pin into a 20 pin female socket and just have the other 4 pins hanging off the side because the walls are so skinny.