China To Force Changes To 20 Popular Games, Ban 9 Including Fortnite and PUBG

According to BBC.com https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46507894

A panel of censors set up to vet mobile video games in China has signaled it will be hard to please. State media reports that of the first 20 titles it assessed, nine were refused permission to go on sale. The Xinhua news agency added that developers of the other 11 had been told they had to make adjustments to remove "controversial content." The authorities have voiced concerns about the violent nature of some titles as well as worries about the activity being addictive.

It was announced in August that a new body -- the State Administration of Press and Publications -- had taken over responsibility for approving games and that it would limit the number of online titles available. And although it has not been specified, some experts are assuming that the new panel will operate under its auspices. Xinhua said it is comprised of gaming experts, government-employed researchers, and representatives from the media and video games industry. But it provided no other information about who they were or the titles they had already examined.

Personal thought: seems china really doesn't like any unfiltered chat or chats that allow any critisms of the Regime. This seems to be targeted to the majors players and will trickle down to other games.

And more from Reddit.com https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/a4w3ux/chinas_ethics_board_reviews_20_popular_online/

In December, China established an Online Gaming Ethics Review Committee to examine a first batch of 20 games that were assessed to contain "ethics risks," with the publishers of 11 games instructed to make changes and remove "ethically questionable content," and 9 games to be either pulled from the market or prohibited from sale.

Recently the list of games and the content of their review was revealed by users on NGA, a Chinese gaming forum. I've translated the list here, with titles everyone would be familiar with highlighted, and some of these are quite interesting.

**** The Information Below is leaked and not from official sources ****

qnSbTxM.jpg

Below is the Translated table.

Game

Cause Recommended Action
Arena of Valor (Tencent) Overly revealing female characters, rewards given based on rank, distorted concepts of history and culture. Corrective action
League of Legends (Riot) Overly revealing female characters, rewards given based on rank, inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action
Blade & Soul (NCSOFT) Overly revealing female characters, inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action
Chu Liu Xiang (NetEase) Overly revealing female characters, inharmonious chatroom, game missions include fraud. Corrective action
Overwatch (Blizzard) Game visuals promote incorrect values, inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action
Diablo (Blizzard) Inharmonious chat, game missions include fraud. Corrective action
World of Warcraft (Blizzard) Overly revealing female characters, inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action
Westward Journey (NetEase) Overly revealing female characters, inharmonious chatroom, distorted concepts of history and culture. Corrective action
Code: Eva (Tencent) Rewards given based on rank, distorted concepts of history and culture. Corrective action
The Legent of Mir 3 (WeMade) Inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action
Swords of Legends Online (Aurogon) Inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action
PlayerUnknown's Battleground (Bluehole) Blood and gore. Prohibited/Withdraw
Fortnite (Epic) Blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw
H1Z1 (Daybreak) Blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw
Alliance of Valiant Arms (Red Duck) Blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw
Ring of Elysium (Tencent) Blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw
Paladins (Hi-Rez) Overly revealing female characters, blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw
Free Fire Battlegrounds (Garena) Overly revealing female characters, blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw
Knives Out (NetEase) Overly revealing female characters, blood and gore, vulgar content. Prohibited/Withdraw

Quantum Matrix (NetEase)

Blood and gore, vulgar content, inharmonious chat

Prohibited/Withdraw

Edited by exetras
Added that the table info was from leak.

This is why I fight my Government and am involved in local politics as much as possible.  Absurd.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

That's disgusting. And what really sucks is that developers will most likely start sending out games with this censorship in mind.

Optimally they start developing games with the censors to only be shipped to China

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 minutes ago, exetras said:

Inharmonious chatroom.

this is arguably the worst offender

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

this is arguably the worst offender

Yes, the lack of Winnie the Pooh filters angers his majesty so much.

I'm also a fan of Game visuals promote incorrect values. Which values are these?

It’s a People’s Republic alright. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, exetras said:

I'm also a fan of Game visuals promote incorrect values. Which values are these?

Incorrect values are ones that go against the state, my dude. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Overly revealing female characters, rewards given based on rank, inharmonious chatroom. Corrective action

That is probably the most petty communist bullshit I have seen. There could be more context to this, but at face value it is absurd.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

4 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Pooh skin when?

Holy shit.  If Epic and Blue(bung)hole do that for their respective games post ban, that'll be hysterical.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

38 minutes ago, exetras said:

PlayerUnknown's Battleground (Bluehole) Blood and gore

Fortnite (Epic) Blood and gore, vulgar content

I think these two are supposed to be swapped, but the punishment is the same so who cares

✨FNIGE✨

But.... Dell made a big thing about how good their gaming laptops are for Chinese players because they can handle more plugins to "win more at chicken dinner" guess that marketing strategy is right out the window

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

@exetras You should clarify in OP that the table and information were leaked and this is not 100% confirmed.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

@exetras You should clarify in OP that the table and information were leaked and this is not 100% confirmed.

Done, Thanks.

Personally? I'm happy to see legal action taken against the worst gaming features out there such as toxic online multiplayer and loot boxes.

Question: If "game missions contain fraud" is a category... then there goes the entire payday series, gta series, almost every RPG ever....etc.

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I'm happy to see legal action taken against the worst gaming features out there such as toxic online multiplayer and loot boxes.

At no point should a legal body of any sort be involved in chat policing.  That is the definition of censorship, which is otherwise a word thrown around way too loosely on the 'net.  Chat being toxic is a thing the gaming community should be left to deal with on their own through filters, banning, etc.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

What should happen is they should just pull these games and take the profit hit. Then after the people finally rise up and take back over the country market to them again.

China is shady as hell and the people that live there are often exploited or forced to suffer a pretty poor quality of life.

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

China is shady as hell and the people that live there are often exploited or forced to suffer a pretty poor quality of life.

The thing is many Chinese people defend the state for everything. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The thing is many Chinese people defend the state for everything. 

To add to this. 

They do it because that's all they know, they don't have the outside perspective of people that have never been under such a regime and don't know how bad they have it (because propaganda). Some of them might just be scared of speaking out, but a large majority are likely happy

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

At no point should a legal body of any sort be involved in chat policing.  That is the definition of censorship, which is otherwise a word thrown around way too loosely on the 'net.  Chat being toxic is a thing the gaming community should be left to deal with on their own through filters, banning, etc.

Yes because that's worked so well in the past. :D :D :D Nearly every online multiplayer game has a toxic community, clearly indicated by the number of youtube videos of "12 year old crying in game because we did blah blah blah" People like to see other people suffer, and online gaming is an easy way for weak people to do that. Not only that, but more often than not you also have people who cheat, which I also consider toxic. I want my gaming experience to be relaxing and enjoyable, not plagued by 12 year olds trying to grief me.