LED on RGB fans turns on but doesnt spin?

DazzaBear

It just stopped working recently and it hasn't been a month since I've been using my new PC. 

The motherboard I use is ASUS PRIME z390-p. I've connected the fans to my CHA1 slot which is a 4 pin adapter but the fans only use 3. I've tried changing the connection to CHA2 still nothing.

The 2 RGB fans on the front still light up but won't spin. The third stock fan won't spin at all. My CPU cooler fan does, but how come the others dont?

Everything has been working normally up until recently the fans won't spin anymore. 

Can anyone give me a reason as to why?

How are the fans configured in the BIOS? Can you set them to 100% there and see if they start spinning again? 

Possible explanations I can think of:

1. Too little voltage going to the fans - board or power issue

2. Fans have deteriorated and need more voltage, ergo defective

Also try any random fans you may have laying around to see if they work. If they don't it's definitely a motherboard issue.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

How are the fans configured in the BIOS? Can you set them to 100% there and see if they start spinning again? 

Possible explanations I can think of:

1. Too little voltage going to the fans - board or power issue

2. Fans have deteriorated and need more voltage, ergo defective

Also try any random fans you may have laying around to see if they work. If they don't it's definitely a motherboard issue.

Just checked my BIOs and it shows N/A readings on CHA1 and CHA2 fans?

RGB header and PWM fan header are separate, so this can happen.

If your BIOS report a fan connector as N/A then the fan is either disconnected or has failed.

Try unplug and plug in again or try a different connector on board to pinpoint the problem.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

So my case atm is the H500M. I'm using the stock fan and the 2 RGB fans that it came with. 

My mobo is an asus prime z390p. I'm currently using CHA1 as my fan connection.

The problem here is the connection of all 3 case fans... 

I'll list the fans in code to show a representation of what's my issue.

(a) - Stock fan

(b) - RBG fan 1

(c) - RGB fan 2

When I connect (a) and (b) the fans spin. When (c) is connected into those. They all stop spinning...

So I tried to connect them one by one. Both (a) and (b) worked normally which then left (c) as the cause in why the fans would stop spinning.

- Connections -

(a) by itself works.

(b) by itself works.

(c) by itself doesn't spin.

(a) and (b) both spin. 

(a) and (c) doesn't spin.

(b) and (c) doesn't spin.

(a), (b) and (c) doesn't spin.

But I am confused as to why it is the cause. 

My build is relatively new and all the fans have been working fine. Only the 3 case fans have started to malfunction....

I've tried the following:

1. Checked the BIOs 

- Changed the settings g of my fans from PWM to auto since I'm using 3pin connectors.

- Changed the fan connection from CHA1 to CHA2.

it could be that 3 fans on a single header exceeds 1 amp which could damage a motherboard.
it could be that fan c is just dead and won't allow the other to spin due to some power delivery thing or a motherboard security feature etc.
That would be my 2 cents

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

Maybe your motherboard isn’t supplying enough power

That or perhaps fan c is causing a short somewhere

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

2 minutes ago, Grockle88 said:

Maybe your motherboard isn’t supplying enough power

It's definitely supplying enough power. RGB fans both still light up. Also if that were the case how would (a) and (b) work fine and spin but (a) and (c) won't?

3 minutes ago, Grockle88 said:

That or perhaps fan c is causing a short somewhere

But then how would it short the other two fans? All this time before this incident, all 3 case fans worked normally and now it screws up? Any idea on how to fix that or how it even shorts the other two?

11 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

it could be that 3 fans on a single header exceeds 1 amp which could damage a motherboard.
it could be that fan c is just dead and won't allow the other to spin due to some power delivery thing or a motherboard security feature etc.
That would be my 2 cents

How so? It's been fine for over 2 weeks now and no sign of dmg to anywhere on the mobo? (c) fan decide to quit working together suddenly lol...

Since everything works without C, and C does not work, I would say replace it. But just to be clear, if C is the only fan plugged in, does it spin or no?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

"Is it possible for fans to cancel out each other?" No, but it is possible a short or wrong connector is stopping the motherboard from working.

Also, it could be a bios/temperate setting turning the fan off until the PC gets hotter?

fan C is shorting, its kinda obvious.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

fan C is shorting, its kinda obvious.

No...

Just now, DazzaBear said:

No...

oops, connector C might be broken then, I read it as Fan C.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Since everything works without C, and C does not work, I would say replace it. But just to be clear, if C is the only fan plugged in, does it spin or no?

It doesn't spin.

2 minutes ago, DazzaBear said:

It doesn't spin.

That's a shame. Time to toss it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So one of the RBG fans isn't working...

I've run some tests with it and it's recieving the voltage through the 3 pin connector but isn't spinning? Any ideas why it won't spin or a way to fix this issue?