Japan bans Huawei and ZTE 5G networking hardware; will Canada be next? + Huawei Blacklisted in New Zealand

Speed Weed

Source 1 " Japan bans Huawei and ZTE 5G networking hardware; will Canada be next?" : https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/10/japan-bans-huawei-and-zte-5g-networking-hardware-will-canada-be-next/

Source 2 " Huawei Blacklisted In New Zealand" : https://latesthackingnews.com/2018/12/06/huawei-blacklisted-in-new-zealand/

Quote from Source 1

If 5G equipment bans from the United StatesAustralia, and New Zealand weren’t enough this year, Huawei will end 2018 on an even worse note: Kyodo News reports that Japan’s government has decided to block the Chinese company and its smaller rival ZTE from network hardware procurement. Not coincidentally, Canadian authorities are publicly discussing a similar ban following last week’s arrest of Huawei’s CFO.

Japan’s decision comes less than a month after the United States reportedly lobbied several overseas allies to block Chinese cellular hardware from their wireless networks, in part due to concerns over monitoring of U.S. military base communications.

Quote from Source 2

Following a ban in the US and Australia, Huawei is presently blacklisted by the New Zealand Government over certain network security issues. New Zealand’s Intelligence Bureau has reportedly stated that the Huwaei’s 5G infrastructure poses a significant network security risk. Therefore, Spark, one of the top 3 telecom service providers in the country has been advised to drop its decision to partner-up with Huawei.

Freaking 5 eyes, 10 eyes, and 15 eyes alliances are going hard on Huawei, ZTE, and Kaspersky antivirus firm this year. Dam American can't be friend with China and Russia. I know we have a lot of questions to China and Russia about their security and privacy practices, and we know they don't give a dam about security and privacy because China and Russia are communist ( Well, Russia can be Soviet Union if Putin wants to bring it back). " Network Security risk " my ass. They don't trust China and Russia products because these eyes alliances know they are going to spy and hack.  It doesn't matter whether you are using America tech products, China tech products, or Russia tech products because at the end of the day you are going to spy by the government. No difference by banning Huawei, ZTE, and Kaspersky security firm. 

givingtnt

There's nothing more to say. this is dumb.
Seriously dumb.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

will Canada be next?

I hope not, because I'd be pretty angry if they are. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Ya know how people are complaining about America taking hard stances on Russia and China? Ya also know how people are bitching that Trump colluded with Russia and China?

Let's choose the story line we wanna follow, folks.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

16 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Canada probably follow US footsteps because Canada is part of the eyes alliance. 

I'm 100% behind this. I think we should switch to Nokia, and other manufacturers that aren't at the behest of the Chinese government.

Anyone who's complaining about it simply being because it's a Chinese company doesn't understand the full ramifications of what that entails.

I fully support Canada banning Huawei equipment, and I hope they do so sooner than later.

23 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Why?

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This only applies to 5G, we're still able to buy Huawei networking equipment and servers, and we use them and are still buying them.

There was something different about 5G vs 4G wasn't there? More access to what's actually being transmitted?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There was something different about 5G vs 4G wasn't there? More access to what's actually being transmitted?

Our 4G isn't Huawei, I don't think they were even an option at the time. Pretty sure most of our stuff is Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent, I know it is for sure for our UFB/FTTH.

Edit:

Also meant by able to and currently buying as in at my work, our network is Huawei and we have a very small amount of their servers on loan (free whisky ?). Doubt we'll switch to their servers though, HPE is by far superior and I would stick to them given the final decision power, which I don't have. 

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Our 4G isn't Huawei, I don't think they were even an option at the time. Pretty sure most of our stuff is Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent, I know it is for sure for our UFB/FTTH.

Edit:

Also meant by able to and currently buying as in at my work, our network is Huawei and we have a very small amount of their servers on loan (free whisky ?). Doubt we'll switch to their servers though, HPE is by far superior and I would stick to them given the final decision power, which I don't have. 

You should really just switch to all Borg servers with new Borg Collective technology for your network. They offer the fastest collective response with the lowest round trip latency of any collective around! :D

And unlike Skynet we they offer the option to continue life as an upgraded member of our their society.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Excellent news to see Japan protect itself like this! 

There's nothing more to say. This is smart, seriously smart. Dont know why anyone is upset over Huawei being excluded for security reasons. It would be foolish to help your adversary.

Still waiting for real proof. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Still waiting for real proof. 

All Chinese companies are a part of the Chinese Government. From even a basic NatSec position, you shouldn't allow their back-end tech into your networks.

With the way everyone is acting, there's some pretty serious stuff going on in the space outside of the Media. 

3 minutes ago, CCWong said:

This is just protectionism (which, for the unenlightened, is objectively bad). Certain major hardware companies in the US (cough apple cough) are afraid of the future growth of Huawei and fear they will not be able to compete, thus they have lobbied for their exclusion.

Protectionism is the proper approach all countries should take to their products. As a note, China has one of the hardest markets in the world to sell into.

Considering that if China's government wants Huawei or ZTE to do anything (regardless of laws in other countries), they will have to comply. That's the risks involved in dealing with any company that's located in China while the CCP is in power.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

..It doesn't matter whether you are using America tech products, China tech products, or Russia tech products because at the end of the day you are going to spy by the government. No difference by banning Huawei, ZTE, and Kaspersky security firm. 

You are mistaken here, these moves are not being done for the users, US / japan/aussies  wouldnt give a damn if only end users were afected, this is about mass surveilance on  institutions, military and backdoors/ hacking concerns.

1 hour ago, CCWong said:

This is just protectionism (which, for the unenlightened, is objectively bad). Certain major hardware companies in the US (cough apple cough) are afraid of the future growth of Huawei and fear they will not be able to compete, thus they have lobbied for their exclusion.

Apple doesn't do radios or telecommunications equipment that isn't a smartphone 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Apple doesn't do radios or telecommunications equipment that isn't a smartphone 

Yet. Though they are trying to get in on the health/fitness market right now. Who knows, telecomm might be next. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, CCWong said:

Or the governments of these countries could realize that Huawei, on at least a few occasions, has appeared to be a wing of the Chinese Government and is therefore a national security risk. In case you are not aware, China is not and ally of the west or our allies in the South East like Japan and South Korea. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

40 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yet. Though they are trying to get in on the health/fitness market right now. Who knows, telecomm might be next. 

Telecommunications/network infrastructure and consumer electronics are wildly different things and technology industries, Apple would be pretty much insane to try and move in to that area and I have zero expectations that they would even consider it let alone do it.

Apple Airport is the only remotely close thing they have done or will do, other than maybe an Apple branded switch for consumer and small business.

Just now, leadeater said:

Telecommunications/network infrastructure and consumer electronics are wildly different things and technology industries, Apple would be pretty much insane to try and move in to that area and I have zero expectations that they would even consider it let alone do it.

Apple Airport is the only remotely close thing they have done or will do, other than maybe an Apple branded switch for consumer and small business.

When you have that much capitol, you can do whatever you want. It’s just a matter of want. 

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

When you have that much capitol, you can do whatever you want. It’s just a matter of want. 

Not for that industry, the technology demands and support infrastructure is not something you can actually just create with money. There is a reason that even in that industry sector there is yet another big split, enterprise networking and service provider and the demands and requirements difference for those is already large.

Apple moving in to that industry area is the same as Ford trying to compete with NASA, it won't happen. Space X was only able to do it because that is the one and only focus, the business was created for that sole purpose.

Apple would bleed all their money trying to do it and no large customer would move to them because network equipment is a shrinking industry controlled by a select few companies and is no longer a front and center technology showcase, things are moving to software defined networking where the equipment doesn't matter (much). They also hold no power or favor with any network engineers or architects either so even if they moved in to the software networking space the uptake would be minimal.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

, China is not and ally of the west or our allies in the South East like Japan and South Korea. 

This ☝? 

I wish I could elucidate further as to why but there's a mod in here

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

This ☝? 

I wish I could elucidate further as to why but there's a mod in here

Suffice to say there is a lot of "or else" if companies in china don't comply with government wishes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

China is not and ally of the west or our allies in the South East like Japan and South Korea. 

And yet the US and it's allies trust China to manufacture most networking hardware. If the US and its allies wants to take a protectionism approach banning Chinese companies, hardware manufactured by the Chinese shouldn't be trusted either.