Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dujith

"Blacklist" a router when using Google Maps location

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just noticed something weird when checking my timelines. I had 5 hour drive time for a job thats half an hour away.

Noticed in the timeline that it kept setting me back home every hour or so :D 

I then realized that it was the router i was using at the job site, since there was no internet there and i needed a network (dhcp and such)

i tend to use my own old router for that.

 

Thing is that my phone sees that router and uses it as a location marker putting me back at home everytime :S 

 

Changed the SSID and that did not seen to help. Found a few tips,

but those all involved hooking it up to internet... which i dont have at new sites.

 

Any ideas or anyone else had this issue? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dujith said:

Just noticed something weird when checking my timelines. I had 5 hour drive time for a job thats half an hour away.

Noticed in the timeline that it kept setting me back home every hour or so :D 

I then realized that it was the router i was using at the job site, since there was no internet there and i needed a network (dhcp and such)

i tend to use my own old router for that.

 

Thing is that my phone sees that router and uses it as a location marker putting me back at home everytime :S 

 

Changed the SSID and that did not seen to help. Found a few tips,

but those all involved hooking it up to internet... which i dont have at new sites.

 

Any ideas or anyone else had this issue? 

Are you sure there isn’t some other GPS enabled device logged into the same google account at home? Like an old phone or tablet?


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, brwainer said:

Are you sure there isn’t some other GPS enabled device logged into the same google account at home? Like an old phone or tablet?

I'm sure yes. And i can recreate this by plugin-in in this router at another location. The second my phone sees it i'm back home :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dujith said:

I'm sure yes. And i can recreate this by plugin-in in this router at another location. The second my phone sees it i'm back home :D 

Then it must be recognizing the MAC of the unit, and I’m not sure what you could do about that.... you’d have to find a way to completely remove that device from Google’s Wifi Location system, which is actually publicly shared and not unique to your account.


Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Under location services change your accuracy to Phone Only. Or actually set the starting location address.

Under location i changed my setting to GPS only and disabled Wifi Scanning.

Gonna test this, but this will prob work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×