Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dujith

"Blacklist" a router when using Google Maps location

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just noticed something weird when checking my timelines. I had 5 hour drive time for a job thats half an hour away.

Noticed in the timeline that it kept setting me back home every hour or so :D 

I then realized that it was the router i was using at the job site, since there was no internet there and i needed a network (dhcp and such)

i tend to use my own old router for that.

Thing is that my phone sees that router and uses it as a location marker putting me back at home everytime :S 

Changed the SSID and that did not seen to help. Found a few tips,

but those all involved hooking it up to internet... which i dont have at new sites.

Any ideas or anyone else had this issue? 

2 hours ago, Dujith said:

Just noticed something weird when checking my timelines. I had 5 hour drive time for a job thats half an hour away.

Noticed in the timeline that it kept setting me back home every hour or so :D 

I then realized that it was the router i was using at the job site, since there was no internet there and i needed a network (dhcp and such)

i tend to use my own old router for that.

Thing is that my phone sees that router and uses it as a location marker putting me back at home everytime :S 

Changed the SSID and that did not seen to help. Found a few tips,

but those all involved hooking it up to internet... which i dont have at new sites.

Any ideas or anyone else had this issue? 

Are you sure there isn’t some other GPS enabled device logged into the same google account at home? Like an old phone or tablet?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

15 hours ago, brwainer said:

Are you sure there isn’t some other GPS enabled device logged into the same google account at home? Like an old phone or tablet?

I'm sure yes. And i can recreate this by plugin-in in this router at another location. The second my phone sees it i'm back home :D 

2 hours ago, Dujith said:

I'm sure yes. And i can recreate this by plugin-in in this router at another location. The second my phone sees it i'm back home :D 

Then it must be recognizing the MAC of the unit, and I’m not sure what you could do about that.... you’d have to find a way to completely remove that device from Google’s Wifi Location system, which is actually publicly shared and not unique to your account.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

15 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Under location services change your accuracy to Phone Only. Or actually set the starting location address.

Under location i changed my setting to GPS only and disabled Wifi Scanning.

Gonna test this, but this will prob work.