Corsair now sell 'Fake Ram' to fill your RGB needs

jeffnotgeoff
1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Surely no one is stupid enough to buy a bit of plastic with lights for 40 USD

Llllololol see above.

Also I agree. Pretty dumb. But hey, people be people.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

$40 does seem about twice as much as I think something like these are worth, to be quite frank. I'm sure these will sell pretty well even at $40, but for what they really are, ie. some RGB-leds, an I2C-controller, some plastic and a barebones PCB, it's just a tad bit much.

It may literally be the same product as the RAM modules without the memory chips and controller installed to save on having to spin up a separate manufacturing process.

But anyway, anything "gamer" branded is going to have a nice markup anyway. "Gaming" branded hardware is the Apple of PCs.

$39.99? Wtf?

They cost almost the same as real ram...

5 minutes ago, Kenji the Uke said:

I am legit buying this since i just bought this ram kit >w> neat

just... buy another kit...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

It may literally be the same product as the RAM modules without the memory chips and controller installed to save on having to spin up a separate manufacturing process.

That's what I just said; it's the RAM-chips that cost the most, the rest is just peanuts and pennies, so the $40 price-tag is overly much. Even as a consumer, you can get I2C-capable microcontrollers for 3 cents a pop and they cost even less for companies that buy tens of thousands in a lot.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

$39.99? Wtf?

I dont have that kind of budget/need though? I dont need 32 gigs of memory, nor do I need to spend 150 dollars just to fill two slots. 40 bucks is fine

Moist

Just now, Sauron said:

$39? Wtf?

For the vengeance rgb kit, which this is supposed to compliment, $149 is the cheapest set corsair has.  It would be ~70% off for just the lights.  Definitely now the same price as regular ram though.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's what I just said; it's the RAM-chips that cost the most, the rest is just peanuts and pennies, so the $40 price-tag is overly much. Even as a consumer, you can get I2C-capable microcontrollers for 3 cents a pop and they cost even less for companies that buy tens of thousands in a lot.

I'm poking more at the point that the case is still likely a heat spreader, not plastic.

Also you still have to pay the engineers who worked on it, they're not cheap.

1 minute ago, Kenji the Uke said:

I dont have that kind of budget/need though? I dont need 32 gigs of memory, nor do I need to spend 150 dollars just to fill two slots. 40 bucks is fine

Well... I guess if you really want the corsair ones you don't have a choice for lower capacities. Still, 40$ is a complete ripoff.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, jeffnotgeoff said:

For the vengeance rgb kit, which this is supposed to compliment, $149 is the cheapest set corsair has.  It would be ~70% off for just the lights.  Definitely now the same price as regular ram though.

Ok, but I can buy 60 high brightness digital rgb leds for 10$. I doubt 40 out of those 149$ are for the lights and frame - if they are, corsair is getting ripped off hardcore by some supplier.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm poking more at the point that the case is still likely a heat spreader, not plastic.

Also you still have to pay the engineers who worked on it, they're not cheap.

The engineers are already on the payroll, they weren't hired just for this one job. Also, nearly all of the design had already been done, they can just take a pre-existing RAM-stick design and modify that -- it's not like they would design the whole thing from scratch. Not to mention that the design is a one-time job, not something they keep working on over and over and over.

As for the heatsink: yes? A piece of aluminum like that still costs pennies since they can utilize the assembly-line they've already got.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'd buy these if I was getting a system with 16GB of memory (or, one with 32GB and it's a HEDT). I think it's great, I love having filled up RAM slots.

Is it vain, useless and purely aesthetic? Yup. But I still think it looks better.

37 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Put that $40 towards a 240GB SSD or a 1TB Blue FFS

Chances are the person who is buying this already has significantly higher spec than both of those items...

You're not thinking of the market it's intended for.

24 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Are you a member of the give me all things RGB community? Maybe it is an age thing. I had enough rainbow colored effects and lights in my old Rave days.

Are you a member of the "RGB means rainbows" community? It just means you can change it to any color you want. I don't see the issue.

It doesn't have to be a rainbow.

17 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Seems like a novel enough way to add some finishing touches to a kit without filling every single RAM-slot with actual RAM. Not my thing, but I can certainly see the appeal for someone who is into the whole RGB-thing.

$40 does seem about twice as much as I think something like these are worth, to be quite frank. I'm sure these will sell pretty well even at $40, but for what they really are, ie. some RGB-leds, an I2C-controller, some plastic and a barebones PCB, it's just a tad bit much.

It's $40 because of what it is. The people who are going to buy it are clearly concerned about aesthetics, and those people are likely to spend more money to accomplish their end goal. It's the same kind of person that will spend money to custom paint a case. Most won't, some will, and this product appeals to those people.

It's not like it had a high R&D cost associated to it.

15 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Surely no one is stupid enough to buy a bit of plastic with lights for 40 USD

I would. $40 isn't much if I consider it an improvement in aesthetics.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

$39.99? Wtf?

Haha, another kit is significantly more than $40. I don't see it as that much of a price to ask, considering it'll pair perfectly with their other kits.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha, another kit is significantly more than $40. I don't see it as that much of a price to ask, considering it'll pair perfectly with their other kits.

Sure, compared to the smallest identical kit from corsair it's not a lot - but:

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Ok, but I can buy 60 high brightness digital rgb leds for 10$. I doubt 40 out of those 149$ are for the lights and frame - if they are, corsair is getting ripped off hardcore by some supplier.

I'm not saying this should contain 4gb of ram (2gb per dimm) or something, but since it doesn't it shouldn't cost as much as it would if it did.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Are you a member of the "RGB means rainbows" community? It just means you can change it to any color you want. I don't see the issue.

It doesn't have to be a rainbow.

I am just going to assume everyone that buys RGB stuff is a rainbow lover and runs around eating skittles and chasing leprechauns .

Btw you can pay 40bucks for this RGB kit... Or you can spend like 60-70 bucks on a ddr4 3000 rgb 2x4 (8gb) kit. At lest the second choice adds something of actual value to your system.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I would. $40 isn't much if I consider it an improvement in aesthetics.

Just buy 4 DIMMs if money is no object. RAM still comes in 4x4 or 4x8. Buy the correct kit for the look you want, they are usually the same price anyway. 

Just now, Sauron said:

Sure, compared to the smallest identical kit from corsair it's not a lot - but:

I'm not saying this should contain 4gb of ram (2gb per dimm) or something, but since it doesn't it shouldn't cost as much as it would if it did.

Oh, so you just don't understand profit margins? If someone's buying a vanity item, they're likely to pay more money for it. Hence, $40 is a logical price point to have; It's not a lot of money to those who are likely to be buying said item. Do you think most things are priced anywhere near what they cost to produce?

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

I am just going to assume everyone that buys RGB stuff is a rainbow lover and runs around eating skittles and chasing leprechauns .

A horrible way to look at it. I love RGB because I can fine tune the build to whatever color I want. I don't have to go looking for specific SKUs to get the color I want.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Just buy 4 DIMMs if money is no object. RAM still comes in 4x4 or 4x8. Buy the correct kit for the look you want, they are usually the same price anyway. 

Some would rather run it in dual channel than not. Either way, why bitch about something you have no interest in anyway? It's not harming you in any way, is it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Some would rather run it in dual channel than not. Either way, why bitch about something you have no interest in anyway? It's not harming you in any way, is it.

Not sure dual channel means what you think it does.

having 4x4 or 4x8 would have no effect on it being dual channel or not. Dual channel motherboards would have 2 or 4 slots in most cases.  Triple channel could a multiple of 3 and would scale to the number of cores. Same for quad-channel.

So a single cpu motherboard would generally have 12 ram slots for triple channel and a quad-channel would have 16.

Just now, dizmo said:

Two slots can run in dual-channel mode. They are usually colour coded as such. I have an interest in technology such as this, and so I am on this forum, people put up topics to discuss. I am merely making a statement, not the one replying to numerous people trying to justify a piece of plastic with lights is worth half the price of real RAM. 

I don't mind the slots being empty, and these are a ripoff for $40, IMO. I would rather spend another $40 into useful hardware. The stuff I do have that is RGB I turn the brightness down and set it to one color.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Oh, so you just don't understand profit margins? If someone's buying a vanity item, they're likely to pay more money for it. Hence, $40 is a logical price point to have; It's not a lot of money to those who are likely to be buying said item. Do you think most things are priced anywhere near what they cost to produce?

When I buy LEDs I am already paying for someone's profit margin. I don't buy a container of the damn things, I don't get OEM discounts. There are reasonable profit margins, and then there are 300%+ margins which are utter nonsense. If the price had been 80$, would you still have considered it reasonable because the real ram with the same looks would cost you twice as much? Of course you can probably afford to spend 40$, or burn them for that matter, if you bought the 150$ ram kit these are designed to mimic - but that doesn't mean it's not a complete ripoff. Just like you probably wouldn't burn 30$, I don't see why you should pay them on top of what something like this is actually worth.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't mind the slots being empty, and these are a ripoff for $40, IMO. I would rather spend another $40 into useful hardware. The stuff I do have that is RGB I turn the brightness down and set it to one color.

Then these arent necessarily for you, are they? I dislike the empty slot, and i wouldnt mind dropping 40 bucks to make my build just that little touch better

Moist

15 minutes ago, Kenji the Uke said:

Then these arent necessarily for you, are they? I dislike the empty slot, and i wouldnt mind dropping 40 bucks to make my build just that little touch better

Nope, even if I were considering these I would just buy the extra ram because at $40 it's throwing money away when you could spend a bit more and get real ram. As mentioned these are the PC equivalent of fake car performance badges.

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

Well I heard that RGB Lighting(LEDs) was known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Well then don't live in California and you are fine. 

I felt like I had heard this story before so I had to Google.. Gigabyte is selling 16gb (2x8gb) 3200 ddr4 kits with two fake modules for $229. 

Link to article

58 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Chances are the person who is buying this already has significantly higher spec than both of those items...

You say that as though there are situations where a spare 240GB SSD isn't at least every bit as useful as empty DIMMs. I'm not anti-RGB. Hell, look at my picture over there then ask me how much I love my Hypnotoad. But there is the point of stupidity, and these are certainly pushing it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I doubt 40 out of those 149$ are for the lights and frame 

Profit ma dude, profit is important.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|