Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeyzHostHD

Ethernet Cat6 15m Cable. help!

Posted · Original PosterOP

hey I just bought a Ethernet Cat6 15m Cable. and the cable is covered in some kind of wool like some mouse cables have sometimes like the Logitech g502.  the question is can I run the cable outside ? I need it to go from the routher through the wall outside and under my window and then inside . is rain gonna damage anything?  can I use tape around the cable if it can be damged

1 minute ago, KeyzHostHD said:

hey I just bought a Ethernet Cat6 15m Cable. and the cable is covered in some kind of wool like some mouse cables have sometimes like the Logitech g502.  the question is can I run the cable outside ? I need it to go from the routher through the wall outside and under my window and then inside . is rain gonna damage anything?  can I use tape around the cable if it can be damged

The cable is just sleeved, and they are not designed to work outside due to the jacket not being UV protected. You will require exterior grade ethernet cabling or conduit if you want to run it outside for any kind of permanent application. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The cable is just sleeved, and they are not designed to work outside due to the jacket not being UV protected. You will require exterior grade ethernet cabling or conduit if you want to run it outside for any kind of permanent application. 

I mean you COULD use it outside, but it wouldn't last very long.

21 minutes ago, KeyzHostHD said:

if you are really determined to do this i would get some kind of water-proof tape such as duct tape or the best option, FLEX TAPE

52 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

if you are really determined to do this i would get some kind of water-proof tape such as duct tape or the best option, FLEX TAPE

Or he could build a very good outside cable channel :)