Try to find a good server rack

austincanman

When some business closes down or renew there setup you can get them and other server equipment dirty cheap. I had the opportunity now two times in the last year but did not need anything. In one case it was some small to medium business closing down and in the other case a server farm getting rid of old racks, servers, switches and routers. Just open your eyes and ears if you don`t want something new and shiny you can find great deals local sometimes and also via ebay or whatever is used at your country.   

1 hour ago, Klemmbrett said:

When some business closes down or renew there setup you can get them and other server equipment dirty cheap. I had the opportunity now two times in the last year but did not need anything. In one case it was some small to medium business closing down and in the other case a server farm getting rid of old racks, servers, switches and routers. Just open your eyes and ears if you don`t want something new and shiny you can find great deals local sometimes and also via ebay or whatever is used at your country.   

Okay is there any tips of to buying one I don't want to I accidentally buy their wrong server not fitting in the rack

2 minutes ago, austincanman said:

Okay is there any tips of to buying one I don't want to I accidentally buy their wrong server not fitting in the rack

Source Wikipedia:
A rack unit (abbreviated U or RU) is a unit of measure defined as 44.50 millimetres (1.75 in). It is most frequently used as a measurement of the overall height of 19-inch and 23-inch rack frames, as well as the height of equipment that mounts in these frames, whereby the height of the frame or equipment is expressed as multiples of rack units. For example, a typical full-size rack cage is 42U high, while equipment is typically 1U, 2U, 3U, or 4U high.
1280px-Rackunit.svg.png

Do you already have rack enclosures for your systems? Some more information about what you want to do would be nice.

As per others check out business liquidations.  There are also e-cycling organizations if you live in any city of size that 'recycle' used racks and stuff (servers, network gear, pretty much anything business IT related) at a discount.  I picked up a 42u APC NetShelter around town for $100 recently.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 hour ago, Olaf6541 said:

Do you already have rack enclosures for your systems? Some more information about what you want to do would be nice.

Well i would like to put a firewall my internet access point and maybe 5 1petabyte and room to upgrade in later time

Biggest factor is how deep are your pockets?

Cheap? Lookup the ikea lack rack. Or craigslist for 48U racks - they should be free because nobody wants them and everyone wants to get rid of them.

Affordable? Lookup the startech racks on amazon. http://a.co/d/hG2C0Us - $250 for 25U

Baller? Dell.com